Strip Getzlaf of captaincy; Give it to Kesler

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This thread is ****ing ridiculous. Getzlaf was our top point scorer and I thought our best offensive player over the course of these playoffs despite probably playing hurt.

There's no shame in being beaten by that Chicago team. The biggest difference between us, Chicago and LA is that the other teams had stud #1 defensemen who absolutely dominated the series we had against them in Keith and Doughty where as our defense is made up of a few good very good #2's and good depth.

Last edited:

nvn

Oct 15, 2013
This thread is ****ing ridiculous. Getzlaf was our top point scorer and I thought our best offensive player over the course of these playoffs despite probably playing hurt.

There's no shame in being beaten by that Chicago team. The biggest difference between us, Chicago and LA is that the other teams had stud #1 defensemen who absolutely dominated the series we had against them in Keith and Doughty where as our defense is made up of a few good very good #2's and good depth.

He was the best offensive player against weaker teams, every time we faced a good team he disappeared. Actually it's much worse: he chocked every game 6 and 7, non only disappeared.

Seriously, what this team has accomplished the last few years? We beat dallas, winnipeg and calgary. Lost every time we met a good team.

Something has to change.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He was the best offensive player against weaker teams, every time we faced a good team he disappeared. Actually it's much worse: he chocked every game 6 and 7, non only disappeared.

Seriously, what this team has accomplished the last few years? We beat dallas, winnipeg and calgary. Lost every time we met a good team.

Something has to change.

What needs to change is BM being completely reactionary in the offseason. Address the holes in the current roster without creating massive new ones the way he did this year. A reliable scoring threat for 3M on that 4th line instead of Rakell would have been useful this series, no?

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
What needs to change is BM being completely reactionary in the offseason. Address the holes in the current roster without creating massive new ones the way he did this year. A reliable scoring threat for 3M on that 4th line instead of Rakell would have been useful this series, no?
Yea. That small feisty dude sure would have helped (providing he survived the PO thus far).

nvn

Oct 15, 2013

The first thing he needs to fix is the first line after this collapse, I would change coach and replace Maroon with a faster skater, I actually didn't like him at all the last few games but that's probably because both getzlaf and perry didn't show up, I saw him down low all alone a lot of times getting the puck taken from him every time.
If that doesn't fix it we need a core change, that means we need to trade getzlaf and/or perry in a couple of years before they lose value. By the time we trade them our d will have developed.
I would trade getzlaf+ for mcdavid now if that was possible, too bad it's not.

Of course Rakell sucked but that's a seconday problem easily fixable. Good luck fixing the first line or getting an elite d.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010

Mod edit

There's shame is betting your ass whooped in two games and not showing up for game seven for the third year in a row when your team has a 3-2 advantage on home ice.

It's not that hard to get.

Last edited by a moderator:

nvn

Oct 15, 2013
There fixed it for you.

There's shame is betting your ass whooped in two games and not showing up for game see for the third year in a row when your team has a 3-2 advantage on home ice.

It's not that hard to get.

Yes, this is the problem. I would be fine losing a close game or losing because of luck, I'm not fine watching this team getting manhandled every game 6 and 7.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Getzlaf was chosen in a vote by the players in the locker room. There were news stories that stated as much when it happened.

Kesler was also stripped of his A in a vote by his Canuck teammates. Kesler is a hell of a player, no question, but he is a me-first guy that has an ego the size of Southern California. He is not a leader. He will not inspire teammates.

It's really a shame, because he has all the on ice markings of being a "Toews Style" leader, but off the ice he is just a complete and total idiot.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015

This is bang on. These teams were unbelievably close. It's not as though the Ducks got swept or kicked around by the Hawks - this was just a hard fought 7 game series between two teams that were neck and neck.

There probably 28 other teams in the NHL that would rather have Getzlaf as their captain than whoever they currently have.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
This is bang on. These teams were unbelievably close. It's not as though the Ducks got swept or kicked around by the Hawks - this was just a hard fought 7 game series between two teams that were neck and neck.

There probably 28 other teams in the NHL that would rather have Getzlaf as their captain than whoever they currently have.

The issue isn't isolated to just this series though. Getzlaf has been a no show in every single elimination/closeout game this team has played since he became Captain.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You know maybe...just maybe, he's been playing injured allowing a defensively aggressive team to shut him down.

I'm furious with this team but the chicken littling that happens with this fanbase is really quite ridiculous.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
You know maybe...just maybe, he's been playing injured allowing a defensively aggressive team to shut him down.

I have zero doubt he is and has been injured dating back to the All Star Game, but you can't use that as an excuse for his other playoff failures. Injuries are a part of the playoffs for every single team this time of year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just from an outsider's POV ... I can't see things like this ever turning out well. You end up alienating your no.1 center and we saw how that went in San Jose. Just leave it be, it's more trouble than it's worth.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
I just think shifting captains will cause more discord then improvement in that locker room

100% agreed as I stated earlier in the thread. There is no viable solution to this issue. Trading Getzlaf would never get the kind of return we would need to stay a contender. We just have to pray he finds something in himself to be better in the big games. Stripping the C and keeping the player NEVER works.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Steve Yzerman was considered a mediocre leader and bad playoff performer until the Wings won in 1997.

Getzlaf in terms of pure stats has ridiculous playoff numbers. I can't believe the criticism he's getting. Especially given how much Selanne (a very underwhelming playoff performer) was loved here. I can't believe I've seen him being compared to Thornton, both in here and on the main boards.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Steve Yzerman was considered a mediocre leader and bad playoff performer until the Wings won in 1997.

Getzlaf in terms of pure stats has ridiculous playoff numbers. I can't believe the criticism he's getting. Especially given how much Selanne (a very underwhelming playoff performer) was loved here. I can't believe I've seen him being compared to Thornton, both in here and on the main boards.
Or that we should bring in Marleau, or elevate Kesler, neither of whom have ever managed to get over their own hurdles.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Kesler was also stripped of his A in a vote by his Canuck teammates. Kesler is a hell of a player, no question, but he is a me-first guy that has an ego the size of Southern California. He is not a leader. He will not inspire teammates.

It's really a shame, because he has all the on ice markings of being a "Toews Style" leader, but off the ice he is just a complete and total idiot.
I wasn't arguing that Getzlaf should be stripped of his letter. I was correcting the person that said that captains weren't voted in by the players.

stardefender*

This.

Kessler is a dirt-bag, has a history of chronic diving, and has an ego ten times bigger than his accomplishments actually would warrant.

Not a guy you want as a leader as he's a deplorable character.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
This.

Kessler is a dirt-bag, has a history of chronic diving, and has an ego ten times bigger than his accomplishments actually would warrant.

Not a guy you want as a leader as he's a deplorable character.

Mod edit A deplorable character? Have some god damn perspective, man.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
With Beauch gone (as I hope) there is really nobody to give the C, sadly. But Getzlaf has not been captain material when it mattered the most, I don't think he deserves the C anymore... whatever...

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014

I feel like your posts are the only ones I agree with right now, like, on all of HF. :laugh: I mean, I'm disappointed in Getzlaf and a bunch of our players, coaches, you name it, I'm sure my kids are permanently traumatized after my screaming and cursing at the team last night. But this Getzlaf stuff is already reaching levels of stupid I'm not sure I can stomach, and it's not going away until this team wins another Cup, whether Getz is the reason they don't or not.

I have to wonder how well Captain Clutchâ„¢ and Showtimeâ„¢ would have fared these last few years if we substituted Cam for Keith?

goosemooseduck

Mar 19, 2009
All this team needs are some minor line tweaks (mostly 3rd and 4th) and a decent, more consistent #1 goalie (whether improved Andersen or somebody else).

The rest is pretty much OK...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad