Online Series: Streamers, here are commercials, don't want them? Pay more!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Looks like Netflix is about to start their new tier of service with adds and others are following. But in the case of Disney+ the current prices will start seeing commercials and you would have to upgrade to an even more expense premium plan to be add free once again.

"South of the border, Disney Plus rolls out an ad-supported option later this year with some industry observers predicting it will apply the same model in Canada soon after. The ad tier will be introduced at the price of Disney’s existing commercial-free service. Subscribers who want to eliminate the ads will have to pay a premium."

It's one thing to add a lower price with adds but another to start adds on the current model and say pay more for no adds.

For Netflix;
In Canada, the “basic with ads” plan costs $5.99 per month _ less than the plans without ads, which start at $9.99 and peak at $20.99 a month.

As a trade-off for the savings, Netflix says subscribers will be presented with an average of four to five minutes of ads per hour played before and during their TV shows and films.

Video quality on the Netflix ad plan tops out at 720p, leaving full high-definition streaming at 1080p and 4K for premium subscribers. Viewers also won’t be able to download titles on their devices and not everything in the service’s library will be available.

The good news that is a lot less commercials than legacy tv which usually has as much as 20 minutes of commercials per hour.

Will you get the add plan or stay add free?

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1667248734888.png

Agreed. Even Peacock is going pay-per view and you have to get Peacock Premium to watch the 1964 classic The Munsters!?! I've noticed more and more content is going pay-per view. Eventually I think all content except news, weather, and sports will be pay-per-view.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If I am forced to watch I will go back to "other" sites to watch what I want to watch. I have DIsney, Amazon and Paramount and if they try to make me pay the same and force me to watch ADS? I will just nuke my subscriptions.

I have up netflix awhile ago all they had was Brooklyn 99 and that was all so the price was not worth it

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
A new low in tv is airing now. For the first time ever a Big 4 network (Fox) is replaying an entire old baseball game in prime time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad