Post-Game Talk: Streakbusters! Jets win 3-2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
He won the cup playing 3rd line in a limited specialized role and was only had a secondary role in the cup winning team whereas he was on the ASG due to elite performance as an offensive defenseman. I know what I value more

Listen to what you are saying.

He won a Stanley Cup by providing a role as a 3rd line winger, specializing in PP minutes and providing a secondary role. The exact type of role we have him in today.

He went to an all-star game as an offensive defensemen, playing on a team that finished 6th worst in the league with a losing record and not making the playoffs.

So unless you prefer individual accolades over team accolades, then by all means put him back on D, so we can all cheer him on for 1 all-star game, opposed to cheering him on through a playoff run.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

He won a Stanley Cup by providing a role as a 3rd line winger, specializing in PP minutes and providing a secondary role. The exact type of role we have him in today.

He went to an all-star game as an offensive defensemen, playing on a team that finished 6th worst in the league with a losing record and not making the playoffs.

So unless you prefer individual accolades over team accolades, then by all means put him back on D, so we can all cheer him on for 1 all-star game, opposed to cheering him on through a playoff run.

He played a secondary role in that team because the overall quality of players on that team was much better than on ours. That team had Brian Campbell, Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson as their top 4, absolutely loaded on D so there was no need for Buff to to play D for them. On the other hand our team has a gaping hole on top 4 and even worse bottom 2. Playing on the 3rd line in Chicago was efficient use of Buff, on that team as he would have only gotten limited icetime on the D if at all. Buff was also not half the defenseman that he is today back than. You need to have good chunk of primary players in order to have the luxury of using a player like Buff in a secondary role, something we just don't have

His production as an offensive defenseman is top 5 in the league every year playing on a bad Jets/Thrashers team with a terrible PP. How can anyone think that a third liner is a fair swap for a top 5 offensive defenseman in the entire league?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
SqZlt1I.gif

This is the most fantastic use of that gif ever :)

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
He played a secondary role in that team because the overall quality of players on that team was much better than on ours. That team had Brian Campbell, Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson as their top 4, absolutely loaded on D so there was no need for Buff to to play D for them. On the other hand our team has a gaping hole on top 4 and even worse bottom 2. Playing on the 3rd line in Chicago was efficient use of Buff, on that team as he would have only gotten limited icetime on the D if at all. Buff was also not half the defenseman that he is today back than. You need to have good chunk of primary players in order to have the luxury of using a player like Buff in a secondary role, something we just don't have

His production as an offensive defenseman is top 5 in the league every year playing on a bad Jets/Thrashers team with a terrible PP. How can anyone think that a third liner is a fair swap for a top 5 offensive defenseman in the entire league?

Maybe because this year he is causing more goals against that goals for hence addition by subtraction. Yes he is really good as an offensive defenseman but you ignore his defensive game and what he gives up. People said, ooo we are going to suck now with our defense and blah blah blah. All I see is a more sound defensive game by the jets.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sorry, guys. Your vacay from me is over :) All settled in my new place with shiny new internets.

We were obviously pretty lucky to win that game. However, the level of passion, effort and pure will to compete was very impressive. This team seems to have a whole new attitude and are motivated more than ever. Wonder what changed? :D

I'm not going to get TOO excited, however. The Jets are now at .500 and traditionally this is when they crush my dreams. The next week or so is going to be a real indicator of whether or not this team is capable of being more than they are. We will see if the coaching change is a temporary boost, or something more real.

My thoughts on the game:

Pavelec was really good. I still don't think he is the long term answer in net but lets see what impact Maurice and Barrasso have on him. If I am giving the whole team another chance I need to extend that to him. His save % is still atrocious.

Byfuglien was not great IMHO. I felt like he was behind a lot of the time. I would like to see him back playing D and see if Maurice can get through to him. I still want to see him traded before next season because I think it's the best thing for the team going forward (depending on the return, of course)

Toby got manhandled a bit by a large, aggressive team, but I thought he handled it very well and played a really nice game. Bogosian played like we want and need him to.

Stuart was bad. Getting caught, taking stupid penalties. That one where Selanne gently pushed him into the net and he went all spazz was embarassing. The fact that he gets to continue to play huge minutes when Ellerby gets stapled to the bench is kind of baffling to me. I do realize he didn't have a spectacular game but I don't think he was that bad. I'd like to see Redmond draw in but Stu is the one that I want to come out and we know that ain't happenin.

I thought Scheifele was a wee bit soft on the puck. He did some really nice things but I think he got checked a little too easily. He needs to be more fiery out there. Peluso made a pretty dumb play that resulted in a turnover and a goal but to be honest, the Ducks pressure was extremely impressive all game and lots of players were being forced all over the ice into making turnovers.

Setoguchi is just useless. He will throw the odd hit, he looks like he's skating but he's getting nothing accomplished.

Ladd Little and Wheeler, along with Frolik were fabulous. Those 4 guys are really showing what they are made of. Ladd has struggled but hopefully this is the start of the turnaround. When Kane (who was not great) gets back into the swing of things, we could have 2 dangerous lines again.

Overall I liked the game simply due to the effort, the battle and the passion. We still have problems on the roster that I don't think coaching will be able to fix, but maybe Maurice can minimize the shortfalls.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I thought this was the first game in a long time that I've seen Scheifele get dumped a few times. Granted, it's against the best team in the league that plays ultra tight so it's to be somewhat expected.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Maybe because this year he is causing more goals against that goals for hence addition by subtraction. Yes he is really good as an offensive defenseman but you ignore his defensive game and what he gives up. People said, ooo we are going to suck now with our defense and blah blah blah. All I see is a more sound defensive game by the jets.

I tend to agree with these assessments. Buff was invisible last night but has had a couple good games at forward. I'm enjoying seeing a defense group playing positionally sound, with less glaring lapses. Bogo is really starting to find his game in his new role. Buff still getting the PP time where he really shines. And we are winning. I say let the experiment continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad