Strategy: Salary cap keeper pool first year draft !

Alexandre Bonneau

Aug 14, 2018
Hey !

Me and some guys at starting a new Keeper Salary cap keeper pool.

Here are the principal rules:

-Point pooled (1pts for G and A, 2pts for goalie Win and 1 pts for SO)
-19 active player (4C 8W 6D 1G), 6 bench and 5 prospects
-Around 9 keeper + 5 propects automatically protected
-NHL cap hit and salary cap of 79,5 M$
- around 20 GM

What strategy would you use at the draft ?

For exemple when would you pick goalie, D, prospects ?

Personnaly I tought of picking my 4-5 first payers going with best available with putting some importante on younger player and good contracts and also pick a G. After I plan on going in somewhat alternance between Prospects and active players to complete my 9 keeper and 5 prospects and finish with the non keeper and bench player ?

Also when do you think guys like Dahlin, Scenchikov, Elias Peterson, Zadina,... are going to be drafted ?

Thanks for your advice !

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Its really hard to say for sure, but my guess is that the McDavid, MacKinnon,Matthews, Barzal, Eichel, etc... will go first. McDavid #1 wouldn't surprise me because he's McJesus, but MacKinnon's cap hit for the next 5 seasons is $6.2M less. and should be first. I'm assuming Matthews and Barzal before Eichel mostly because they have one and two more year(s) before the big contract. I would imagine names like Dahlin and Svechnikov will go next because they are on entry level contracts and carry a big reputation (and still have the "new car smell"). Petterson, Mittelstadt, Zadina, Kotkaniemi will still be early but maybe after more proven young NHLers like Pastrnak, Rantanen, etc. are taken.

Just my opinion, but I'm sure there will be a few surprises.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Based on the scoring categories, goalies are going to be incredibly valuable - I'd highly recommend reaching for a young starter like Vasilevskyi, Hellebuyck or Gibson with an early pick (waiting past the 4th round is likely going to bite you in the a**). Once the first goalie comes off the board, the next 5 elite starters are likely to follow within the round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad