Proposal: Stralman to VAN, Roussel to FLA

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'm not saying it was a good come back offer, but Tanev is still unsigned, so is Stecher, and taking on 2.5 while creating another roster hole doesn't really help us at all. If 2.5 was the going rate for a bottom pairing + (I emphasize the plus) RHD, we would just resign the much younger, and field tested, Stecher, rather then another teams odd piece. We would still be short a top 4 D either way, so it doesn't solve a problem for us.

A sweetener is fine, but bit it's 500k in cap space for 2 years....that won't be much of a payday. Especially given Erikssons real salary of 1 million, and 4 next year.

None of the selling points really land with us though. We've wanted to remove salary, not add more of it when we NEED cap space next year for our big RFAs. That added 2.5 million, even assuming Stralman stays a top 4 D here, will bite us next off season.

We ain't taking Eriksson while giving up Stralman, be somewhat realistic here.
It'd have to be a pretty good sweetener and even then, it's likely a no.
One of them is still a good to decent player.

Tanev is still unsigned? He just signed in CGY no?

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
An overpaid top 4 RD for an overpaid bottom 6 winger is terrible? :laugh:
What's a worse word than terrible then, regarding Myers and Eriksson contracts?
Canucks are not taking that contract when we are in need of cap space.

Don’t really care what you think of Myers or Eriksson. Just saying that if we are taking that contract back, we aren’t giving a measly 3m contract for it. Unless you take eriksson or Myers there is no way the Canucks do it.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Canucks are not taking that contract when we are in need of cap space.

Don’t really care what you think of Myers or Eriksson. Just saying that if we are taking that contract back, we aren’t giving a measly 3m contract for it. Unless you take eriksson or Myers there is no way the Canucks do it.

You don't need cap space this year, next year is where things get hairy.
Fair enough, enjoy Eriksson on his twilight tour then.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We ain't taking Eriksson while giving up Stralman, be somewhat realistic here.
It'd have to be a pretty good sweetener and even then, it's likely a no.
One of them is still a good to decent player.

Tanev is still unsigned? He just signed in CGY no?

Well let's call the contracts a wash. An older top four D for an AHL call up level player, making close to the same amount. In this market, what would the add be to make it even?

Younger guys with much more appealing skill sets have gone for much less (look at Columbus's fire sale as evidence, not that I expect a 5th to be anywhere near reasonable). Let's be honest here too, of Stralmans cap hit wasn't 5.5, we wouldn't have this proposal come up at all. I'm not disparaging Stralman, we could use him, but not without more going back to Florida cap wise then just Roussel.

Oh snap, he did sign. I'm at work answering on breaks, I didn't know. My mistake, good call. Well there goes that hope...

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Well let's call the contracts a wash. An older top four D for an AHL call up level player, making close to the same amount. In this market, what would the add be to make it even?

Younger guys with much more appealing skill sets have gone for much less (look at Columbus's fire sale as evidence, not that I expect a 5th to be anywhere near reasonable). Let's be honest here too, of Stralmans cap hit wasn't 5.5, we wouldn't have this proposal come up at all. I'm not disparaging Stralman, we could use him, but not without more going back to Florida cap wise then just Roussel.

Oh snap, he did sign. I'm at work answering on breaks, I didn't know. My mistake, good call. Well there goes that hope...

Itd be a big add, Erikssons cap hit is bigger and he's by far the worse player.
No need to keep going down that dead end road.

Stralman still fills a need for you guys, Russell doesn't as much for FLA. We lose value in the better player but it evens out by VAN taking more cap/money.

no worries, seems most VAN fans don't like the deal.

Enjoy Bobrovsky

Well let's wait and see him in front of a NHL caliber defense first Travis.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Itd be a big add, Erikssons cap hit is bigger and he's by far the worse player.
No need to keep going down that dead end road.

Stralman still fills a need for you guys, Russell doesn't as much for FLA. We lose value in the better player but it evens out by VAN taking more cap/money.

no worries, seems most VAN fans don't like the deal.

Roussel does play reasonably well for us. That cap hit is unpleasant though.

If it were a 3 million dollar, comparably aged defender, I'm sure we would be more amenable, but we simply can't take more cap back with out suturing the wounds Benning left us, signing these guys (and others).

Would Roussel and Baertschi work? Or Beagle and Roussel? Roussel and Sutter? If we can leverage two of these guys into one contract that fills a position of need, that works a lot better, even though I under stand Florida is looking to dump cap as well.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
It's not a bad deal really. Not sure the Canucks can spot the cap difference though. They're having a hard enough time with that.

What if it was

Roussel
Benn

for

Stralman ($1M retained for 21-22 season only)

Canucks end up even on cap this year, 1.5M added for 21-22. Assuming Florida re-signs Benn or a replacement for around ~1M they still end up with cap savings overall for 21-22.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It's not a bad deal really. Not sure the Canucks can spot the cap difference though. They're having a hard enough time with that.

What if it was

Roussel
Benn

for

Stralman ($1M retained for 21-22 season only)

Canucks end up even on cap this year, 1.5M added for 21-22. Assuming Florida re-signs Benn or a replacement for around ~1M they still end up with cap savings overall for 21-22.

Pretty sure you can't do one year retention on deals with 2 or more years.

No thanks to the counter, we're not gonna retain on Stralman and take back two contracts even if one is only a year long

Reactions: Cogburn

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Pretty sure you can't do one year retention on deals with 2 or more years.

No thanks to the counter, we're not gonna retain on Stralman and take back two contracts even if one is only a year long

Fair enough, I think Stralman would do reasonably well here... I could be overstating the cap space issue as a lot of FAs are done ik 2021, but Pettersson and Hughes will need new deals which will cost a pretty penny. Maybe Canucks can still make it work, but not really sure.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
You don't need cap space this year, next year is where things get hairy.
Fair enough, enjoy Eriksson on his twilight tour then.
Nah, that is completely untrue. We have $20 mill coming off the books next year, more than enough to sign EP, Hughes and Demko, who already account for 6. We also have a number of NHL ready prospects to fill some holes next season.

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
Hope a cheap owner will take Canucks loui eriksson. I know his cap is 6 mil.. but he’s only getting paid 3 mil next season and 1 mil the year after.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Nah, that is completely untrue. We have $20 mill coming off the books next year, more than enough to sign EP, Hughes and Demko, who already account for 6. We also have a number of NHL ready prospects to fill some holes next season.

For sure, its not impossible but it's not gonna be easy either.

EP could easily get a similar deal to Aho, especially if someone throws an offer sheet.

Hughes could get a matching deal.
Chabot as comparable, Makar will help clear things up as well

On the low end, those two could easily combine for $15 million but on the high end it could be closer to $17 mil.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
For sure, its not impossible but it's not gonna be easy either.

EP could easily get a similar deal to Aho, especially if someone throws an offer sheet.

Hughes could get a matching deal.
Chabot as comparable, Makar will help clear things up as well

On the low end, those two could easily combine for $15 million but on the high end it could be closer to $17 mil.
Pretty much what I’m thinking even at 17, that only uses 12 of the 20 coming off the books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad