Story on prospect Steven Fogarty

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
At this point he'll be nothing more than a fourth liner and he'll be cheap. So I'll take it.

Agreed.

In today's NHL, having an effective fourth liner is a lot different than it was 25 or even just 15 years ago.

I think there's still a little bit of the mentality that we look at guys projected for a fourth line and use the phrase "only a fourth liner."

But the reality is that teams need guys who play the role well. Obviously you can't get taking those guys with high first round picks, but if the Rangers can get that from the 72nd pick in a draft, that's good.

We'll see what happens.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Agreed.

In today's NHL, having an effective fourth liner is a lot different than it was 25 or even just 15 years ago.

I think there's still a little bit of the mentality that we look at guys projected for a fourth line and use the phrase "only a fourth liner."

But the reality is that teams need guys who play the role well. Obviously you can't get taking those guys with high first round picks, but if the Rangers can get that from the 72nd pick in a draft, that's good.

We'll see what happens.

True. If he can win some faceoffs, play really well defensively, good board play and forechecking, he can be an essential piece even if he's going to only have 15-20 points on a season. Of course that is if he can make that transition to the NHL.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Who drafted Dominic Moore?

It's funny, when drafted Dominic Moore, I actually liked Steve Moore's odds of finding a niche in the NHL better.

But Dominic did an excellent job of transitioning to the pro game - he's always sort of flown under the radar.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How long ago was that?

Yikes, 16 years.

Didn't realize it's been that long.

Moore is the second best guy we drafted that year.

Behind some Swedish kid who'll never make it. I hear his twin brother is pretty good. Too bad we didn't get him instead.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Definitely agree with the point that Edge made about 4th liners being more important these days. All coaches like to utilize 3 or 4 lines that can maintain some possession and add some scoring touch. It's not just a line that goes out there for energy purposes or to fight like it used to be.

I think it's part of why we're seeing scoring go down in the NHL. I wonder what the average TOI of a superstar forward was 10 years ago compared to now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad