Story on prospect Steven Fogarty

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Good read. Very mature kid that should be able to carve out a nice NHL career as a bottom six forward and will probably wear a letter at some point. Not the flashiest prospect in the pipeline, but probably one of the top-5 for me in terms of excitement about turning pro.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Good read. Very mature kid that should be able to carve out a nice NHL career as a bottom six forward and will probably wear a letter at some point. Not the flashiest prospect in the pipeline, but probably one of the top-5 for me in terms of excitement about turning pro.

Was hoping he'd put a little more offense into his game. And let's not kid ourselves, here, the kid is 23 next month.

I'm not saying he won't develop into a bottom-6 guy, but I had higher hopes.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Was hoping he'd put a little more offense into his game. And let's not kid ourselves, here, the kid is 23 next month.

Much higher for me.

Granted, I completely wrote him off after his poor BCHL stint and poor first couple of years in the NCAA. So it's exciting to see that he may be a viable bottom-six player, now. Turning something into nothing and back into something.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Much higher for me.

Granted, I completely wrote him off after his poor BCHL stint and poor first couple of years in the NCAA. So it's exciting to see that he may be a viable bottom-six player, now. Turning something into nothing and back into something.

He reminded me a lot of Stepan when we drafted him. Figured he'd have more size and less offense. I guess I was right on both accounts, just didn't know how right I'd be ;)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I wrote an article in a Rangers Facebook Group, and this was one of the things worth pointing out:

The player I see as being most comparable to Fogarty, is Luke Glendening. The now 26-year old bottom-6 forward never got more than 21 points in the NCAA but is a complete player now with the Detroit Red Wings. Both being their team's captain in their 3rd and 4th college year, they have shown that they possess the leadership needed to take their game to the next level.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I wrote an article in a Rangers Facebook Group, and this was one of the things worth pointing out:

Well, having the 'C' for two years is a hell of an honor in college hockey. And of course, it shows that this guy has a true desire to be a player on and off the ice. Work ethic, drive, etc...

But, is he just a bigger version of Jack Connolly? Or, is he a Luke Glendening or Jed Ortmeyer?

The true question is... Can he beat Tanny in training camp!? :naughty:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well, having the 'C' for two years is a hell of an honor in college hockey. And of course, it shows that this guy has a true desire to be a player on and off the ice. Work ethic, drive, etc...

But, is he just a bigger version of Jack Connolly? Or, is he a Luke Glendening or Jed Ortmeyer?

The true question is... Can he beat Tanny in training camp!? :naughty:

Hahahaha. Good one. Is AV leaving?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Foges is a big, strong, smart player with decent skills and great intangibles. I think he'll have a long professional career.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This guy's got a lot of pro potential. I like the Glendening comparison in terms of the role he'll play but the closes comp imo is Paul Gaustad.

Fogarty is huge. I see him as more of an NHLer than Nieves.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

When the Rangers selected him he was a dynamic HS player but since then he's spent his post-draft years turning himself into a viable pivot who plays a complete game. I maintain his numbers are a bit misleading given who he plays with, the role in which he's used, and the type of special teams ice he sees, but his real contribution is his ability to shutdown the other team's top line. Best shutdown center in the NCAA bar none, IMO.

Now, will he turn pro and have a breakout year offensively? Probably not, but I'm excited to see how he adapts to the AHL next year and if he can move into a similar role as a very good checking center.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Fogarty is the kind of prospect who gets easily overlooked because there's really nothing dazzling about his upside.

If he continues to develop, he could have a very long pro career as a bottom six forward who goes against other team's best weapons.

But attention will always go to the guys who potentially project as more - even if Forgarty's particular skill set is a bit more likely to transition to the NHL game.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Fogarty is the kind of prospect who gets easily overlooked because there's really nothing dazzling about his upside.

If he continues to develop, he could have a very long pro career as a bottom six forward who goes against other team's best weapons.

But attention will always go to the guys who potentially project as more - even if Forgarty's particular skill set is a bit more likely to transition to the NHL game.

And more importantly, he's a right-handed center, so Stepan has absolutely no reason to be taking key faceoffs on the right side of the d zone. :nod:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Much higher for me.

Poor BCHL stint?

he had 82pts in 60 games, tied for 6th on the team

The team was 54-6

Anything but poor

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
When the Rangers selected him he was a dynamic HS player but since then he's spent his post-draft years turning himself into a viable pivot who plays a complete game. I maintain his numbers are a bit misleading given who he plays with, the role in which he's used, and the type of special teams ice he sees, but his real contribution is his ability to shutdown the other team's top line. Best shutdown center in the NCAA bar none, IMO.

Now, will he turn pro and have a breakout year offensively? Probably not, but I'm excited to see how he adapts to the AHL next year and if he can move into a similar role as a very good checking center.

Good point. It's interesting to look back, as Fogarty was an offensive forward who didn't really posses a two-way game coming out of HS. He spent that first season in Penticton working on rounding out his game, then did the same at Notre Dame. By his second season he was regularly drawing the toughest assignments, and continued to develop into a shutdown guy. That he was named Captain as a Junior is rare and speaks to his dedication to his craft and the hard work he puts in. He comes from a great background and strikes me as the kind of guy who will make it based on sheer determination.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Good point. It's interesting to look back, as Fogarty was an offensive forward who didn't really posses a two-way game coming out of HS. He spent that first season in Penticton working on rounding out his game, then did the same at Notre Dame. By his second season he was regularly drawing the toughest assignments, and continued to develop into a shutdown guy. That he was named Captain as a Junior is rare and speaks to his dedication to his craft and the hard work he puts in. He comes from a great background and strikes me as the kind of guy who will make it based on sheer determination.

He's just a good kid. Great head on his shoulders. You look at the timeline and composition of Notre Dame's roster and he came in the year after Riley Sheahan, Jackson's "go to" two-way center, left and ever since he's been groomed for that role and relied upon heavily. Sheahan looked like a miss coming out of school as well to most, but he certainly improved as a pro and has been a very good player for the Wings once he made the jump.

That being said, I think Sheahan always had a little more offensive upside than Fogarty, and he's a little older coming out of school, but I see a lot of similarities in their game.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
A lot of this conversation is reminding me of the way we thought about Marc-Andre Cliche. Guys who follow prospects more than me - am I completely off base there? I'm wondering if Fogarty turns into the same player that Cliche is (borderline NHLer, valuable as a 4th liner), would we be disappointed?

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
A lot of this conversation is reminding me of the way we thought about Marc-Andre Cliche. Guys who follow prospects more than me - am I completely off base there? I'm wondering if Fogarty turns into the same player that Cliche is (borderline NHLer, valuable as a 4th liner), would we be disappointed?
I think most would be very happy if he became a valuable 4th liner and not overly surprised if he doesn't make it full time at all (being a 3rd rounder with the odds against him)

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Yeah there's no flash to his game, but I have to admit ND does a great job of developing their players physically, it's one of the top athletic programs in the country.

This kid is already huge.

And more importantly, he's a right-handed center, so Stepan has absolutely no reason to be taking key faceoffs on the right side of the d zone. :nod:

Bingo, I keep saying that and actually tweeted at Step after he lost the draw in the Isles game. You can lose a faceoff fine, but clean.... again and again?

This team needs a RH C/RW that can start in the D-Zone and win faceoffs. Step's been around 45% his whole career.

I don't think he practices enough.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Yeah there's no flash to his game, but I have to admit ND does a great job of developing their players physically, it's one of the top athletic programs in the country.

Bingo, I keep saying that and actually tweeted at Step after he lost the draw in the Isles game. You can lose a faceoff fine, but clean.... again and again?

This team needs a RH C/RW that can start in the D-Zone and win faceoffs. Step's been around 45% his whole career.

I don't think he practices enough.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Fogarty can do as a pro. Lots of potential in a bottom 6 role, especially with Moore most likely moving on. If he can get some time in with Hartford after his NCAA season we could get a glimpse and a good camp could see him get some 4th line time.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...If he can get some time in with Hartford after his NCAA season we could get a glimpse...

he could get a few weeks or a few games,

Hartford is outside playoff contention (need to jump past 2 of 3 teams 6wGiH, 8, 9 points ahead)

Frozen Four is the week before the AHL season ends 4/16

Notre Dame is in top 10 of PairWise, very likely to make the tournament,
so will play at least until March 25/26/27;

if ND make the frozen 4, no more than 3 or 4* games w HWP
* if ND lost Thursday in Tampa, HWP has a game Sunday

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

If Fogarty can progress to the NHL, pop in 8 goals and 16 points while taking some tough assignments, you take that and don't look back.

Unfortunately that type of upside doesn't usually lend itself to a lot of prospect "lust."

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If Fogarty can progress to the NHL, pop in 8 goals and 16 points while taking some tough assignments, you take that and don't look back.

Unfortunately that type of upside doesn't usually lend itself to a lot of prospect "lust."

I'd be ecstatic if he became that. Solid 4th liners built from within are something this team can't develop worth a ****...

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
I'd be ecstatic if he became that. Solid 4th liners built from within are something this team can't develop worth a ****...

I'd much rather be filling out our top 9 with homegrown guys like we have, than have those guys sputter out and end up on our 4th. Fast, Lindberg, Stepan, Kreider and Miller are all capable of playing that 4th line role; they're just too good to stick there for the most part.

I also think it's less of a matter of developing guys and just giving guys the time in the NHL. Look at someone like Dale Weise, who was developed correctly and was ready, but wasn't given the time. I think Hrivik is the same way. I'd say we under utilize assets more than we have a problem in developing them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad