Story about Lindros, including his time in Blue

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Lindros had a terrible father, and Bobby Clarke was a nightmare.

Still, you have to think that Lindros in New York under Messier's mentorship would have easily had a different, arguably more successful career.

Lindros was pampered and babied by his parents, and Clarke made him paranoid. Toxic, toxic upbringing.

I cant hate on a 19-year-old kid acting out. Yes, he had a responsibility as an ambassador to the game, but he was still 19.

All accounts say Lindros was a dedicated and respectful person as he got older, and the concussions humbled him.

Karma is a beeyotch though. For real.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Is the story about Figure Skater Elvis Stoyko punching out Lindros at a Philly bar true or false.Iv heard the story twice by media and dont know if I should believe it or not-thanks

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Lindros was a real turd when he was younger. He seemed to get it from his father. Playing for Bobby Clarke--IMO one of the most classless figures in hockey didn't help.

In his time with the Flyers he was for an extended period just about the best player in the game. He was huge, talented and mean. Really mean and he could fight very well. And he hit like a tractor trailer filled with cement. And very capable of 100 point seasons. Ovechkin at his best IMO is a pale comparison to Lindros.

Clarke kept rushing him back from his concussions. Clarke wanted a Stanley Cup so very badly he'd get him back in the lineup way before he was ready. He got more concussions. That ****ed him up. There was one game that Lindros wound up with a cracked rib or two and a collapsed lung. Back in the hotel room--getting the luggage together for the flight home that night he was hurting so much that his roommate Keith Jones (the NHL color guy) took it upon himself to take Lindros to the hospital--the Flyers medical staff--out to lunch as it usually is had no idea. Big to do over that. Lindros had hopped on that plane he would likely have been DOA by the time it reach Philadelphia. Clarke would blame Lindros for this ****--which is amazing to me. Eric just didn't have what it takes as far as he was concerned.

By the time he became a Ranger Lindros was a bit more humble but he wasn't nearly the same player. How many concussions he had. At least 6 and the last 3 in a very short period of time. He got at least two more with the Rangers and I'm not sure if he got any more when he moved on to Toronto.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Is the story about Figure Skater Elvis Stoyko punching out Lindros at a Philly bar true or false.Iv heard the story twice by media and dont know if I should believe it or not-thanks

Never heard that. Tend to doubt it. Lindros was 6'5 240 lbs. and stronger than hell. I remember one NHL player remarking that at a traveling circus he once wrestled a bear. He'd taken on Eric and said Eric was stronger than the bear he wrestled.

NYRCSKA*

Lindros was a real turd when he was younger. He seemed to get it from his father. Playing for Bobby Clarke--IMO one of the most classless figures in hockey didn't help.

In his time with the Flyers he was for an extended period just about the best player in the game. He was huge, talented and mean. Really mean and he could fight very well. And he hit like a tractor trailer filled with cement. And very capable of 100 point seasons. Ovechkin at his best IMO is a pale comparison to Lindros.

Clarke kept rushing him back from his concussions. Clarke wanted a Stanley Cup so very badly he'd get him back in the lineup way before he was ready. He got more concussions. That ****ed him up. There was one game that Lindros wound up with a cracked rib or two and a collapsed lung. Back in the hotel room--getting the luggage together for the flight home that night he was hurting so much that his roommate Keith Jones (the NHL color guy) took it upon himself to take Lindros to the hospital--the Flyers medical staff--out to lunch as it usually is had no idea. Big to do over that. Lindros had hopped on that plane he would likely have been DOA by the time it reach Philadelphia. Clarke would blame Lindros for this ****--which is amazing to me. Eric just didn't have what it takes as far as he was concerned.

By the time he became a Ranger Lindros was a bit more humble but he wasn't nearly the same player. How many concussions he had. At least 6 and the last 3 in a very short period of time. He got at least two more with the Rangers and I'm not sure if he got any more when he moved on to Toronto.

This pretty much sums up Lindros right here. Scott Stevens ended his career. He was never the same after Stevens screwed him up bad in the ECF. Stevens is the only Devil I could ever like.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Lindros was humbled by the time he came to the Rangers. I remember that press conference to introduce him being so awkward. Lindros wasn't the player he used to be by the time he became a Ranger but he played hard every night and when his time with us ended I had a new found respect for him.

When ever the Lindros subject comes up I wonder how different his career could have been had Bobby Clarke not gotten his hands on him.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The FLY line played with magic for a short time.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
You have to think that "how's your father doing?" about Eric's infamous dad could come across as patronizing, especially to a 19 year old.

Everyone is a dick in this story.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You have to think that "how's your father doing?" about Eric's infamous dad could come across as patronizing, especially to a 19 year old.

This.

And no matter what, the lines Stewert is thinking in are just sickening. His job is to call a game, not hand out "favors" or cut people some slack.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Lindros had a terrible father, and Bobby Clarke was a nightmare.

Still, you have to think that Lindros in New York under Messier's mentorship would have easily had a different, arguably more successful career.

Lindros was pampered and babied by his parents, and Clarke made him paranoid. Toxic, toxic upbringing.

I cant hate on a 19-year-old kid acting out. Yes, he had a responsibility as an ambassador to the game, but he was still 19.

All accounts say Lindros was a dedicated and respectful person as he got older, and the concussions humbled him.

Karma is a beeyotch though. For real.

Good post.

The bolded is actually interesting to think about.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
This.

And no matter what, the lines Stewert is thinking in are just sickening. His job is to call a game, not hand out "favors" or cut people some slack.

I mean, it's just human nature: it's why Avery would get called for things all the time. It's obnoxious, but it happens.

But for Stewart to not understand why a 19 year old Lindros would take offense to anything about his father shows a lack of thinking.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I met Lindros (and saw the entire Rangers team) in late 2001 when I was living in DC after they played the Caps. He was a really cool guy. He obviously grew up since his late teens.

As for the FLY line, York would always start out on fire and be on fumes by the end of the year. That's one of the reasons Sather traded him. We were all pissed at the time and is part of the reason Poti was so disliked.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I mean, it's just human nature: it's why Avery would get called for things all the time. It's obnoxious, but it happens.

But for Stewart to not understand why a 19 year old Lindros would take offense to anything about his father shows a lack of thinking.

People at some positions must fight human nature. A priest can't gossip about confessions. A doctor can't talk about medical conditions of his patient. A judge in court can't let his own personal bias affect his verdicts.

And a referee in a major sport should at least try his best to be fair and neutral, not do the complete opposite. But obviously NHL ref's has no honor.

Maybe I am more pissed than others because I was at that game. But I think it's disgusting that it's not even in these guys world to be fair and call a game straight...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

This.

And those are very good points. Stewart had a job to do. Currying favor with players of this team or that team to drive some personal agenda of his own or even the league shouldn't be something he does. It calls into question how fair he was when actually doing his job. I'm sure he's not the only referee to have ever done it and likewise sure it's still going on today.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site

he definitely was one of the best players in the league. Could score, skate, hit and fight, and did it all well. The Flyers win the Cup if they had a defense and/or goaltending. Lindros did his best a few seasons to carry them as far as he could. Would have loved to see him as a Ranger, would not have loved paying up for him and in hindsight it's good it didn't happen; those concussions would have still happened, and who knows when.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
funny read...and yes, I'm sure he invented penalties and/or ignored similar penalties against Lindros and other Rangers. Refs are biased. Everyone has a bias. And that's fine. The question is, though, why would Stewart ask about Lindros' dad? Were they friends?

nikonsniper*

And those are very good points. Stewart had a job to do. Currying favor with players of this team or that team to drive some personal agenda of his own or even the league shouldn't be something he does. It calls into question how fair he was when actually doing his job. I'm sure he's not the only referee to have ever done it and likewise sure it's still going on today.

I did NOT go out of my way to "invent" penalties on Lindros — or any player — but I wasn't going to give that guy a break on anything borderline that I might have let slide with a player who had gained acceptability with me.

This is why i hate refs. he needs players to "gain his acceptance?" really? These failed-players think they are the gatekeeper to the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad