OT: Stompin' Tom Connors, R.I.P.

LaTenderness*

He's a legend and will be laid to rest in Peterborough Ontario

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
The song Sudbury Saturday night harkens back to a different time in Canada when things were a lot less complicated and innocent..I had the pleasure of seeing him 20 years ago
RIP on Skinners Pond PEI

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Tillsonburg, Tillsonburg,my back still aches when I hear that word.:laugh:

Many drunken nights in uni listening to Stompin' Tom:D

R.I.P.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Thank you, Tom. God bless you and keep you.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
RIP Stompin' Tom.

I'm a young guy, wasn't really around during his heyday, but his impact in Canada is undeniable. The Hockey Song has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember (I even used it in an audition to play a young Stompin' Tom), and oddly enough have had it in the back of my head for the past couple of days.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
The song Sudbury Saturday night harkens back to a different time in Canada when things were a lot less complicated and innocent..I had the pleasure of seeing him 20 years ago
RIP on Skinners Pond PEI

Well said and often overlooked today.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
RIP Stompin' Tom.

I'm a young guy, wasn't really around during his heyday, but his impact in Canada is undeniable. The Hockey Song has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember (I even used it in an audition to play a young Stompin' Tom), and oddly enough have had it in the back of my head for the past couple of days.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.
That was the thing about his songs. Travelling around Canada you visit places and snippets of his songs that you have forgotten come back into your head. Actually the only time I've really felt like that with another Canadian artist was when I was in Germany and a Sam Roberts song was played(totally out of the blue that was) with the line And her soft brown hair is as long as a Canadian highway got stuck in my head. I got very homesick.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Younger people will not know what he was for Canada. Stompin Tom sang about Canada and travelled the little bars across Canada his entire life and played places like Val D'or, Trout Lake, Groose Bay, Tofino...places were real Canadians lived and could relate to him

I think our culture has lost a lot as we chase the bigger house, better job, etc etc and never quite end up being happy. The differences between wealthy Canadians and those working folks has widened as the economy as exported jobs and globalized. People work long harder just to chase the TV/VIDEO/reality TV false dream of a lifestyle that means little. Its made appreciating the simple things in life much harder for people who now have to work longer and harder to stay afloat..

I recently traveled to New Zealand and it felt a lot like Canada was like 30-40 years ago. Everyone seemed happy and there seemed to be little differences between people. Families had time and money to pursue fun and enjoy life something i see has fast disappeared in Canada as we try to be NYC or Hong Kong. I somehow feel Canada is not better off.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Never been more proud, and sad, to be Canadian. I was so fortunate as to see him perform at a Leafs/Habs game once before. Was pretty awesome to see people of all ages embrace the show.

RIP, Stompin' Tom. It's Hockey Night Tonight...

:clap:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
That was the thing about his songs. Travelling around Canada you visit places and snippets of his songs that you have forgotten come back into your head. Actually the only time I've really felt like that with another Canadian artist was when I was in Germany and a Sam Roberts song was played(totally out of the blue that was) with the line And her soft brown hair is as long as a Canadian highway got stuck in my head. I got very homesick.

There must be somethin' in the air, in the air...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad