Trade: [STL/TOR] Aledmys Diaz for J.B. Woodman

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Dude was great in 2016 but was bad in limited time last year. Jays need someone better than Goins and Barney to play games when Travis and or Tulo inevitably get injured in the first game of the season

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Well JB Woodman is basically nothing, so ok? If you insist.

Maybe the Cards see something in Woodman, but he's way down the Jays list of prospects, and strikes out way too much at that low of level that I have a hard time believing he'll ever make it. Maybe last year is more indicitive of who Diaz is than his rookie year but even if that's true this seems like the Cards are selling way too long.

Anyway the Jays needed a different, better option as their 3rd middle infielder for when Travis and Tulo inevitably get hurt so this seems like a really good move.

Reactions: Voight

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Well JB Woodman is basically nothing, so ok? If you insist.

Maybe the Cards see something in Woodman, but he's way down the Jays list of prospects, and strikes out way too much at that low of level that I have a hard time believing he'll ever make it. Maybe last year is more indicitive of who Diaz is than his rookie year but even if that's true this seems like the Cards are selling way too long.

Anyway the Jays needed a different, better option as their 3rd middle infielder for when Travis and Tulo inevitably get hurt so this seems like a really good move.

Based on the past I would bet that the Cardinals are selling at the right time while the guy has some value rather than them selling low.

Diaz had a good half season and a terrible season and a half. It would be one thing if he was a good defender or even capable defender but he is a terrible defender with a bad bat.

Cardinals are lucky here to get JB Woodman for nothing. He may not turn out but at least he has a chance to turn into something unlike Diaz.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Didn't Goins have the best batting average with runners in scoring position on the whole team?

He was something like 12 for 16 with the bases loaded so maybe. But clutch isn't a sustainable skill so nobody should expect that to happen next year. And even with his hitting with runners on his WPA was still a pretty bad -1.10. Diaz is a clear upgrade for a very low price even if Diaz is the exact same player he was last year and not the 2016 Diaz

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Why exactly the Cardinals wanted another outfielder in the system is beyond me unless we know for sure we are shipping one or two to Miami for Stanton.

Also, I'm assuming that we are actively shopping O'Neil for a closer

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Why exactly the Cardinals wanted another outfielder in the system is beyond me unless we know for sure we are shipping one or two to Miami for Stanton.
Meh, they can use lower level outfielders. Our glut of outfielders is at the MLB ready or close to it level: Fowler, Piscotty, Grichuk, Pham, Sierra, O'Neill, Bader, Mercado. Basically AA up we're filled, but below that, there's room.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Meh, they can use lower level outfielders. Our glut of outfielders is at the MLB ready or close to it level: Fowler, Piscotty, Grichuk, Pham, Sierra, O'Neill, Bader, Mercado. Basically AA up we're filled, but below that, there's room.

I guess this was just more of a sell Diaz for whatever we could get situation then.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Diaz was an aberration in 2016, but it still seems the Cardinals are selling low here. But it's whatever, they get these things right more often than not.
It was really about just opening a roster spot up. He's not good defensively, so he doesn't really add much as the utility bench player. Pretty much just a dump, but we add some minor-league depth, which is better than just releasing a guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad