Proposal: STL: Swapping bad contracts: Krug for a forward?

StlBill

Jul 1, 2018
Krug is playing 22 minutes a night. If he's dealt whose going to absorb those minutes? Leddy, Faulk and Parayko are also all at 22 or more minutes so they shouldn't be taking on more.

Sure Krug is overpaid. He's also asked to play too many minutes but that's only cause there is no better option.

Then the Blues best and most NHL ready prospects are forwards. The decent D prospects the Blues have are all 18 or 19 and at least a few years away from just starting to get NHL minutes.

Trading him for an overpaid forward makes no sense considering the Blues strengths and weaknesses.

Dealing him for a contract with less term is another story.
Who cares who takes those minutes, get Krug the hell out of here any way possible. I’d rather bring Rivers out of the booth and dress his old ass than watch Krug look to the sky after giving up a play leading to a goal one more time.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Krug is playing 22 minutes a night. If he's dealt whose going to absorb those minutes? Leddy, Faulk and Parayko are also all at 22 or more minutes so they shouldn't be taking on more.

Sure Krug is overpaid. He's also asked to play too many minutes but that's only cause there is no better option.

Then the Blues best and most NHL ready prospects are forwards. The decent D prospects the Blues have are all 18 or 19 and at least a few years away from just starting to get NHL minutes.

Trading him for an overpaid forward makes no sense considering the Blues strengths and weaknesses.

Dealing him for a contract with less term is another story.
"We can't trade Krug because just think how much worse we'll be" is like holding up a sign that says "I am completely out of my depth"

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Which team has $6mm of cap space to giveaway for nothing in return? He’s sail right thru waivers unclaimed.

Only shot would be a rebuilding team who wants a vet D and big cap to clear the cap floor. But I doubt Krug would be that player.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Bruins fans get it.

He had a way of endearing himself to the fans because he was a small, baby faced kid that busted his ass and had some occasional HUGE goals and long laser beam passes. I loved his motor, and admired his willingness to at least attempt throwing some weight around. Ultimately, he was just too small. Poor guy got rag dolled and abused in his own end and couldn't do much about it.

It sucks cuz I'd still be OK with seeing him in Boston again. The contract is dreadful though. Even with double, max retention it's a hard sell
You mentioned motor. My notion of Krug pre-Blues was that he WOULD be a high motor, smooth skating defenseman who could QB a top 10 power play. I could completely live with the defensive issues if he brought anything remotely close to that realm. But he has no motor. He’s not hard to play against. He’s a terrible skater. And I’d put his offensive instincts at about 6.5/10…above average but nothing earth shattering. It’s one of, if not the the worst free agent signings in Blues history.

Reactions: PocketNines

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
You mentioned motor. My notion of Krug pre-Blues was that he WOULD be a high motor, smooth skating defenseman who could QB a top 10 power play. I could completely live with the defensive issues if he brought anything remotely close to that realm. But he has no motor. He’s not hard to play against. He’s a terrible skater. And I’d put his offensive instincts at about 6.5/10…above average but nothing earth shattering. It’s one of, if not the the worst free agent signings in Blues history.
That sucks. I can see why he would slow down due to being abused every game, but it sounds worse than I expected already.

drede

Jul 13, 2023
No, the Habs have plenty of LD and really don't need to add another small player.
Yeah just seen lots of Habs fans wanting to get rid of those 2 so figured maybe one of them would be an option

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Hi!

The Blues have too much capspace invested in their defense. The preferable player to move is Torey Krug, who is still a decent 3rd pairing PPQB (Blues usually play him on the 2nd pairing), but is payed way too much for what he's capable of.

As the Blues could use some forward help, I was wondering if it is possible to move Krug in a deal for a forward who's in the same situation: still a decent player, but is payed too much. Preferably a right winger, but I guess any forward position would do.

Krug has 3 years left on his contract after current season. He has a NTC, but that will change to a M-NTC (15 team no trade clause) in 25/26. He has already used his NTC to nix a deal to Philly and it's not unlikely he will use it for Canadian teams. His caphit is 6.500.000.

The Blues are in a retool that would probably still take a couple of seasons, so we're not in a position of using valuable assets to move him.

Any takers?
Gonna predict Faulk is the dman who’s moved first. At least out of the $6.5 bunch. Really can’t tell you what the return will look like though. It could be less than we would think, or they may take another termed player in return, to compensate for a team sending a better return.

For example, if they took an OK/decent NHL dman, with 3 years at $3.5ish, then maybe the acquiring team, is more willing to increase the other value they send.

He’s the one I’d be watching this next week.

I’m sure a team or two will investigate Parayko, but he’s a hard trade to make with that term. Faulk is much easier to move, because he has been really good in recent history, and only has the 3 years.. Even though, he’s also been pretty bad in recent history…. His upside for a playoff team though, who puts him in the right position to succeed, could end up being a real quality acquisition for a someone.

StlBill

Jul 1, 2018
Gonna predict Faulk is the dman who’s moved first. At least out of the $6.5 bunch. Really can’t tell you what the return will look like though. It could be less than we would think, or they may take another termed player in return, to compensate for a team sending a better return.

For example, if they took an OK/decent NHL dman, with 3 years at $3.5ish, then maybe the acquiring team, is more willing to increase the other value they send.

He’s the one I’d be watching this next week.

I’m sure a team or two will investigate Parayko, but he’s a hard trade to make with that term. Faulk is much easier to move, because he has been really good in recent history, and only has the 3 years.. Even though, he’s also been pretty bad in recent history…. His upside for a playoff team though, who puts him in the right position to succeed, could end up being a real quality acquisition for a someone.
Faulk has played up to his contract. Only knock on him here in STL, is he’s not Petro

Krug for Kuznetsov
I’d do it

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Faulk has played up to his contract. Only knock on him here in STL, is he’s not Petro

I’d do it
His best season was two years ago. I think as a pro….. Last year was a strange season though. His stats were actually good, but he was pretty bad on a consistent basis. He’s been decent this year with the injuries.

But because he has had that success, teams will have interest. I think there’s a good chance he’s moved.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad