Trade: [STL/SD] Jon Jay for Jedd Gyorko

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The fact that someone gave Gyorko that contract is baffling

Same sort of deal as Jose Tabata...young player on the upswing with good results early on.

It's a risk/reward contract template for both sides. Sometimes the team wins (Starling Marte) and sometimes the player keeps being paid for being a mediocrity (Tabata).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The fact that someone gave Gyorko that contract is baffling

Previous management gambled that he'd continue to progress. He was coming off of two good minor league seasons and a reasonable rookie MLB campaign.

tumblr_m7kijsWNU71qhjbxeo1_1280.jpg

If anything, I'll miss quoting Idiocracy once a game. Jedd's up, he's got two D's for a double dose of this pimpin'.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
There was that one year where I really liked Gyorko and thought he was going to have a really solid career...maybe the Cardinals can bring that back out of him.

As it stands that's a brutal contract for a bad player. Hard to say the Cardinals don't deserve the benefit of the doubt in terms of talent recognition, though.

Had me fooled too.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Same sort of deal as Jose Tabata...young player on the upswing with good results early on.

It's a risk/reward contract template for both sides. Sometimes the team wins (Starling Marte) and sometimes the player keeps being paid for being a mediocrity (Tabata).

Pretty much. You gamble that the player will not fall flat on his face. At times it works and at times it doesn't.

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
Well, listening to MLB Network Radio, it sounded like Gyorko is kind of stubborn and refused to make the necessary adjustments that 99.99% of players are required to make.

Will be interesting to see if any of the Cardinals staff can get through to the guy.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
There was that one year where I really liked Gyorko and thought he was going to have a really solid career...maybe the Cardinals can bring that back out of him.

As it stands that's a brutal contract for a bad player. Hard to say the Cardinals don't deserve the benefit of the doubt in terms of talent recognition, though.

2013, his rookie year had him on my fantasy team and thought wow, this guys gonna be good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad