Trade: [STL/SD] Jon Jay for Jedd Gyorko

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There was that one year where I really liked Gyorko and thought he was going to have a really solid career...maybe the Cardinals can bring that back out of him.

As it stands that's a brutal contract for a bad player. Hard to say the Cardinals don't deserve the benefit of the doubt in terms of talent recognition, though.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Jedd will be the bench util replacement currently, unless something is happening with Wong which I doubt. Jay is awful. Moz stated that one of the priorities was strengthening the bench and they jettisoned half of an awful bench already (Cruz, Kozma and now Jay). While Jedd is certainly overpaid, Jay was going to get zero playing time in a crowded OF, of which he was the worst option. He might not be Zobrist but I doubt Zobrist would have wanted a full time utility role and now you have a guy that can at least give any infielder the day off. If the Cards don't care about the money, then I don't either.

Last edited:

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Gyorko worth something around 30 M in next 4 years. His career line against RHP: .228 .278 .379

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
This is actually a decent deal from the Cardinals perspective, not sure why people are knocking it.

Gyorko is an upgrade on Pete Kozma, which is who he's basically replacing. The Cardinals have an abundance of outfielders especially since Pham emerged last year. Jon Jay was not really needed in the slightest.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
When you realize who Gyorko is replacing (Pete Kozma) and that Jon Jay was a 6 million dollar 5th outfielder (at best), I don't see how anyone doesn't get this move for the Cardinals.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Gyorko's contract isn't as bad as I remembered it being, either. I mean it's still going to be lousy, but he's owed $10 million over the next two seasons before then.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Gyorko's contract isn't as bad as I remembered it being, either. I mean it's still going to be lousy, but he's owed $10 million over the next two seasons before then.

I don't know how much the Pads are picking up but Jay was never going to get at bats here anymore and he really shouldn't be. At least the Cards pick up a guy who can give days off to Carpenter, Wong and Peralta (especially Wong vs LHP). A backup infielder with some pop vs a 6th outfielder who's been battling wrist injuries.....Gyorko isn't getting 500 at bats, I think he's a fine option as a utility player.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The problem isn't trading Jon Jay for him. It's having an expensive utility IF with a terrible slash line.

But he does have power and the Padres are kicking in some money and anything is better than Pete Kozma so I'm fine with it I guess.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Cards get $17M in the deal. Just about half of what's remaining.

Edit: Rosenthal is reporting 9MM. That's a big difference :)

Jay is making 7MM next year, so that might be the difference though.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Gyorko has more HRs the last 3 seasons than anyone on the Cardinals, much needed influx of power off the bench

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
what an odd trade

both of these guys suck

Not familiar with STL's needs?

They needed a utility IF to backup Wong, Peralta and Carpenter. That is what Gyorko will do. Not to mention he brings more power to their lineup. Add-in that STL got SD to pay part of Gyorko's whopping 32 million remaining and its a solid deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad