Confirmed Trade: [STL/DET] Nick Leddy and Luke Witkowski for Oskar Sundqvist, Jake Walman, and 2023 2nd

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I could see Walman being a solid acquisition for you guys. I always liked him. Coaching staff here never seemed to trust him for some reason and Perunovich will likely be the third pair LD next season.

They didn't trust him because he is wildly inconsistent and doesn't have much hockey sense. He was good for several games to start the year and then fell off a cliff.

He's a finished product as a player: a #6/7 who can do a little bit of everything, but isn't good enough at any of it to play on special teams. If he was a competent penalty killer or had the skill or vision to play on the second powerplay unit, they would have trusted and kept him.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Interesting. Walman certainly came up with a lot of promise and upside. Guess he just hasn't really translated it to the top level? I can't say i've even really noticed him as a pro.

I also really can't make heads or tails of the way different defencemen were valued/not valued at this deadline. Some weird stuff going on.

I'm not sure Walman ever had "a lot of" promise, but he's a decent enough bottom pair option. I recall at one point Blues fans were wondering which of Walman or Dunn would end up being the best and many people thought Walman. But then Dunn quickly passed him up and Walman hasn't really proven he's an everyday NHL player. That being said he's never gotten an extended chance to prove that he can be one.

Best of luck to him, seems like a good guy.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Wings traded away a 2nd (Islanders selected Raty - who would fit beautifully in the Wings plans today).
They got their second back - two years later.

What did Detroit get out of it?
Sundqvist - a capdump veteran forward.
And some guy I've never heard of it.

Oh, and a shit season out of Leddy.

Glad Yzerman salvaged something out of Leddy, but I'd rather have last year's second (Raty) and be closer to turning the table on the rebuild.
We could have signed some chump in UFA to give us what Leddy gave us, and then we could have traded him for a 2nd or 3rd or whatever.

Blues fans worried as they see Red Wings celebrating a "steal," fear not. That's just the Yzercult.

Leddy was terrible here. But he shouldn't be more than a third pairing Dman who plays against lesser opponents and gets 2nd Unit PP duty.
If you minimize his role, he'll be better.

But he's still going to be an issue in his own zone.
No Wings fans are trying to call this a steal.... there are some Blues fans that don't like it, and Wings fans are happy with the value considering how Leddy played this season. That part is easy enough to figure out just by reading through the thread, doesn't require you to make things up about what others are saying.

Were you as adamant about the Leddy signing being a bad deal BEFORE the season started? I'm not going to fish through old threads, but somehow I doubt your current hindsight reflects that. He didn't work out for the Wings as planned, but it was a pretty universally lauded trade in the off-season, to get any value (especially good value) out of Leddy based on his season is excellent. Would you have rather lost him for nothing in the off-season?

You go so far out of your way to try to prove some point about Yzerman, but this ain't the hill to make your stand on. This was a solid move.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
No Wings fans are trying to call this a steal.... there are some Blues fans that don't like it, and Wings fans are happy with the value considering how Leddy played this season. That part is easy enough to figure out just by reading through the thread, doesn't require you to make things up about what others are saying.

Were you as adamant about the Leddy signing being a bad deal BEFORE the season started? I'm not going to fish through old threads, but somehow I doubt your current hindsight reflects that. He didn't work out for the Wings as planned, but it was a pretty universally lauded trade in the off-season, to get any value (especially good value) out of Leddy based on his season is excellent. Would you have rather lost him for nothing in the off-season?

You go so far out of your way to try to prove some point about Yzerman, but this ain't the hill to make your stand on. This was a solid move.

He thinks Wings were going to use that 2nd on Aatu Raty and Raty himself was going to Detroit to save the entire organization. But Yzerman foiled his masterplan by using that 2nd to trade for Leddy and MHB's entire world come crumbling down, and now DRWs are going to feel the aftershock of that missed opportunity for decades to come.

That's just a quick summary. Otherwise, good trade for Yzerman... he got his pick back and a few warm bodies who may or may not be useful.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Really. Page 1 of the thread on the Detroit board.
Robbery by Stevie Y

Just don't answer Stevie Y's calls. Love this trade

Ah, Ah, Hah, Haaaaah! WHAT A STEAL! Oskar Sundqvist is ALMOST a swedish national team player! Someone you plug at 4th line RW after softies, Elias P, William Nylander and Jesper Bratt.

Wiserman has struck gold.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
So... 1 person called it a steal, and 1 said it was robbery. Nice detective work there. Let me ask... did you think Leddy would get a 2nd+ this trade deadline?

Reactions: newfy

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Three posts from a 6 page thread in the Wings forum, where people are generally going to show their excitement more in the moment and lean towards homerism.

This crusade to throw fellow Wings fans under the bus here in an attempt to distinguish yourself has gotten ridiculous.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
The onus is on you to know what the hell you're talking about regarding a teams structure before calling shit nonsensical. I know you're used to a garbage franchise that sells everything off every deadline until recently but some times keeping players around especially an experienced defenseman when you're bringing in highly touted defense prospects makes sense even if you might lose a mediocre draft pick.
Gotta love aggressive hot takes about how Leddy was going to re-sign and trading him wasn’t going to happen because something something team structure

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Three posts from a 6 page thread in the Wings forum, where people are generally going to show their excitement more in the moment and lean towards homerism.

This crusade to throw fellow Wings fans under the bus here in an attempt to distinguish yourself has gotten ridiculous.

Dude says "No Wings fan" tried to call it a steal.
I show 3 from one page of a thread, and this is your response? LOL.

GTFO.
Save your worthless personal analysis for someone who cares. I don't

So... 1 person called it a steal, and 1 said it was robbery. Nice detective work there. Let me ask... did you think Leddy would get a 2nd+ this trade deadline?

I thought he would after the Chairot trade. Prices were high.
Right in the trade forum I said my ask would be a first. But I thought a second was a given.
Later in the day, Monday, I started worrying that Yzerman might have missed his chance.
But that Kulak trade let me know we might see another deal.

And before anyone digs up last year's post where I said a second was too much to pay for Leddy (and it was).
That was at a different time.
There was a full year of cap. left on the deal.
The Islanders were going to expose him in the expansion draft HOPING to lose him. Many expected the Islanders might have to pay to get someone to take Leddy.

But the trade deadline is a vastly different market.
GMs are up against that deadline with their last chance to improve their team before the playoffs - maybe knowing their job is on the line.

Getting a second and the Blues' throwaways was fine.
It was far from robbery.

The Yzercultists keep running around the internet acting like your GM is four dimensional chess against a bunch of nimwits.
It's childish.

More than the second round pick, or Sundqvist or Walman, the big win here is that Leddy turned down Yzerman's three-year offer.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
They didn't trust him because he is wildly inconsistent and doesn't have much hockey sense. He was good for several games to start the year and then fell off a cliff.

He's a finished product as a player: a #6/7 who can do a little bit of everything, but isn't good enough at any of it to play on special teams. If he was a competent penalty killer or had the skill or vision to play on the second powerplay unit, they would have trusted and kept him.

I'm not saying hes some for sure top 4 D or anything like that, but hes only got 56 NHL games under his belt and some of those were playing forward. Its odd to say hes a finished product as a player. Give him some ice time and see what happens. Armstrong has his biases against players for sure and Yzerman has been targetting Walman all year apparently. So if he thinks theres something more there, maybe there is

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Dude says "No Wings fan" tried to call it a steal.
I show 3 from one page of a thread, and this is your response? LOL.

GTFO.
Save your worthless personal analysis for someone who cares. I don't

Wow someone's a grumpy bear.

You're right. You sure showed him!! Enjoy your glorious victory keyboard warrior.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A little surprised to see Sundqkist moved. Has he fallen that much from the blues 2019 run? He was a very good bottom 6 physical presence for them.

Walman, the guy was someone Canada and the US fought over to have on their under 20 team iirc. But he’s what like 25/26 now? And not really a nhl regular?

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
A little surprised to see Sundqkist moved. Has he fallen that much from the blues 2019 run? He was a very good bottom 6 physical presence for them.

Walman, the guy was someone Canada and the US fought over to have on their under 20 team iirc. But he’s what like 25/26 now? And not really a nhl regular?
Sunny is coming off double hip surgery and an knee surgery last offseason. He's also getting paid 2.7mil for 4th lines minutes.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Walman can skate like the wind, OMG. He was very solid and made some great passes. His shot looks lethal. Sundqvuist scored an empty netter and is a banger. He plays a very heavy game which is something DRWs are lacking.

Impressed with the players Detroit picked up in this deal. Hope Leddy helps STL with his new club.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Walman can skate like the wind, OMG. He was very solid and made some great passes. His shot looks lethal. Sundqvuist scored an empty netter and is a banger. He plays a very heavy game which is something DRWs are lacking.

Impressed with the players Detroit picked up in this deal. Hope Leddy helps STL with his new club.
After one game Leddy has given Parayko the one thing that has been sorely missing since Bouwmeester had to step away from the NHL. Someone who can transition the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad