Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Colton Parayko signs extension with the Blues (8 years, $6.5M AAV)

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
The deal starts when he’s 29. He’s had back problems already. I’m not so sure this doesn’t end up like the Seabrook contract after a couple of years. He could play great til his mid 30s, but I don’t see this a steal.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
What if Parayko says, my back is jacked up, I better take what I can get now

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If he returns to his previous form this will be a great deal. As it stands it’s solid for both sides.

Good on the Blues for locking up a key piece long term.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Wow I’ll eat a crow on this one. For sure thought it’d be like 8 million on an 8 year deal

How do Werenski, Jones and Nurse get their deals and Parakyo’s agent doesn’t use those to balloon Colton’s contract?

Granted there is some risk to it if the back injury is longterm. Could shorten his career or if he performs at the level this past season he isn’t worth it. Most likely outcome is he recovers and this is a fantastic deal for the first 6 years of the deal.

Reactions: Morrison

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
On its face, looks like a great deal for the Blues. Only risks are that Parayko is returning from a serous back injury, and he'll be 37 when this contract ends. That said, $6.5M is pretty manageable. Good job STL.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Wondering what Blues fans think of this, because, rightly or wrongly, most of the praise seems to be coming from outsiders at the moment.

I think of him as a stud, but admittidely I can't watch him that much. I've also heard he's taken a bit of a step back over the last couple years because of injuries, so are we all just remembering his glory days? What's his deal.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
The deal starts when he’s 29. He’s had back problems already. I’m not so sure this doesn’t end up like the Seabrook contract after a couple of years. He could play great til his mid 30s, but I don’t see this a steal.

That’s because you are a sharks and hawks fan. He could have signed for free and you would have r found something wrong with it. Move on.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wondering what Blues fans think of this, because, rightly or wrongly, most of the praise seems to be coming from outsiders at the moment.

I think of him as a stud, but admittidely I can't watch him that much. I've also heard he's taken a bit of a step back over the last couple years because of injuries, so are we all just remembering his glory days? What's his deal.
We're all very happy with it. His only down year was last season because of a back injury, and I doubt we'd give him an 8 year deal if we don't think his back looks good.

Now, with any 8 year deal, there is a high risk of the last few years being pretty bad, but since we already have multiple of those contracts I'm fine with maximizing whatever window we have left knowing that 4-6 years from now, we'll have to rebuild or retool.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not sure how Parayko only gets 6.5M x 8YRs when Nurse and Jones get over 9M x 8YRs.

Great deal for the Blues.

Offense gets paid and those guys log a lot more minutes. Doesn't mean they're not overpaid though.

Regardless, this is a great signing for St. Louis, the AAV in particular. Term could be a bit scary but whatever.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Good deal for STL.

And he could've made more considering some of the ludicrous contracts out there this off season.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
great for St.Louis. Parayko must have wanted to stay there pretty bad because hes worth wayyy more than that IMO

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That seems low.

The deal is fair considering is performance this season, where he wasn't even top pairing by ice time (EVTOI/GP, and TOI/GP). Blues fans say this was due to injury, which I can get behind due to his play previous to this last season. Perhaps the risk of long term issue is greater than it might seem? Why wouldn't he gamble on himself?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad