Half-Assed GDT: STL CAR

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The funniest thing about this year is that multiple real people actually invested in the idea the Blues were in a playoff race, and were in the thick of it, or that this was in any way a meaningful game last night. There has not been a moment in months where they have been close to the playoffs. The math on points percentage plus the outright desperation of all Blues employees on the broadcasts to push this idea of playoffs should have clued people in, but I literally see people reacting in this thread as if something in this game could have helped the Blues get into the playoffs if things had gone differently. It's insane

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
To underscore that: the Blues under Bannister, before last night, were 29-18-4. That's a 100-point (99.7 point) pace over 82 games. For all that work under Bannister, the Blues went from being a point out of 8th in the West when Berube got fired to ... 3 points out in the West going into last night.

If they'd played at a 99.7-point pace all season, they'd currently be fighting Nashville for the 1WC or 2WC spot and staring at a 1st-round matchup against either Dallas or Vancouver. In other words: about what I think most people expected in an optimistic scenario: scratch out a playoff spot, play a few playoff games, probably go home early.

And, all of that was despite getting better-than-expected goaltending from Binnington and Hofer, Neighbours exploding for 27 goals, Thomas going off for a career high 25-60-85, and the team largely getting outplayed when the Thomas line and the Parayko/Leddy pairing wasn't on the ice.

Reactions: Sgt Schultz

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
By the time the dust settles, this team finished about in the position I thought they would be when the season started. Out of the playoffs although not by a ton, but not leaving us with the impression that if they had only made it they could have surprised some people. They need an identity or a thoroughbred or two to get us to that point.

Point total wise, they will be slightly better than I expected, which I thought would be about the same as last year, plus or minus a few. An 8 or 10 point improvement is beyond what I expected, but that is attributable to Binnington and Hofer.

So, the quote the departed NFL coach, Dennis Green, applies: "they are who we thought they were."

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad