Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Blues re-sign Zach Sanford (1 year, $2M)

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
Signing our oppositions best player for 2 million a season. Not sure what would be worse, playing on the PK all game or having a player out there that's always trying to help the other team. They need to keep a points generated for the other team statistic, so Sanford and the like never play in the NHL again.

I don't care how many goals he would score this season, no one that play this dumb needs to be on the team. It's already a self-evident negative. He needs to be traded, and they need to stop trying to justify past trades as good moves if they weren't. This being one of them.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Assuming capfriendly is correct, $874,125. I imagine he'll still get a $2M+ deal, which will require a Tarasenko trade, but Sunny starting on LTIR will mean we technically don't have to trade Tarasenko before the season. I still think we will trade Tarasenko before the season, but our RFAs aren't forcing us into one.

Yeah, probably something in the 2s for Bozak. We wanted to stick to a 1 year deal, but Bozak wanted more term. I'd say the Bonino deal is a good comp for him.

Robert Thomas Qualifying Offer Calculator Results - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
For one, you can remove Santini's 750k from the cap hit because he won't be on the nhl roster as we will only carry 7 defenseman. Add that to our current 1.5 mil and we have about 2.25 mil cap space. With sunny on ltir, that becomes around 4 mil, but 3 forwards spots open on roster. I'd imagine tarasenko gets moved, but if he doesnt, then blues would almost certainly have no room to resign bozak as all they could do is resign Thomas then take 2 guys at league minimum. And maybe only play with 21 or 22 man roster for cap space when sunny returns.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
prove it or get out contract for sanford. can be a useful tweener, mediocre defensively most of the time and offensively inconsistent. teams need guys like him but he's about worn his welcome in st. louis. bring it in your contract year junk man.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
I wish this went to arbitration, and that we walk away from him.

He's ocassionally great; and has a number of tools that hint at great potential.

However, those times when he looks like a bona fide top-6 player are far too inconsistent. He is probably one of the most frustrating players you would ever watch; usually leaving you wanting far more, and knowing that he could provide more. But for whatever bizzare reason, he just never puts it together for a long duration.

We should off-load him as soon as possible. I don't see a long term role for him on the team.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If that was the sole reason, it would be reflected in his relative possession numbers (which compare his effects against his line mates), but we also saw his relative possession metrics take the same fall. Moreover, his most frequently line mates were still ROR and Perron (followed by ROR and Kyrou).
He had significant more time with O'Reilly 2 seasons ago than he did last season, same type splits with Perron as well. Those 2 dragged his possession numbers higher.

And that's not how relative possession works. Relative possession is still heavily impacted by quality of teammates. He's simply a passenger on his lines, so his underlying numbers will look better when he is with better players. His inconsistent on top of that, which is what led to him not getting the same opportunities that he got last season. He could easily be a solid 3rd/4th liner that plays PK if he'd find consistency and not make some boneheaded plays.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Reactions: 67Blues

CupCrazySTL38

Nov 12, 2019
As a Blues fan who has been a Sanford Defender in the past, his second half of the season was exceptionally bad. It seemed like he had kinda settled into his role as random depth scoring with some PK, but he became timid and lost last season. It could have been injury or something else, but he needs to show something or risk being a nightly scratch. But for what he can do, this contract is...whatever.

Most teams league-wide have forgettable depth players like him. Blues fans are just allergic to the idea of someone tall not being Chris Pronger. Short guys who block shots, like Mike Weaver, Ryan Johnson, and Vladimir Sobotka are fan favorites despite being demonstrably useless in almost all other respects. Tall guys like Sanford and Berglund had better behead opponents or they're useless. Blais was beloved and repeatedly imagined as a scoring line player because...reasons? I wouldn't think twice if Sanford were traded for a mid-round pick, and I don't expect him to be with the team in a year, but he's not actually useless. He just has to bring it. 70/30 against that happening, but I really hope it does.

The guys you mentioned had something different to their game than Sanford. These guys had what STL Fans love, guys that endear themselves to the team by putting the body on the line every game, have a motor that doesnt stop, pure heart and soul guys!

Sanford has all the skills to succeed but just has never been able to stay consistent. He has the size but needs to bulk up bc he is constantly getting muscled off the puck, slick hands, decent shot. His downfall is that 90% of the time it looks like he is just going through the motions during the game and is lost!

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
The guys you mentioned had something different to their game than Sanford. These guys had what STL Fans love, guys that endear themselves to the team by putting the body on the line every game, have a motor that doesnt stop, pure heart and soul guys!

Sanford has all the skills to succeed but just has never been able to stay consistent. He has the size but needs to bulk up bc he is constantly getting muscled off the puck, slick hands, decent shot. His downfall is that 90% of the time it looks like he is just going through the motions during the game and is lost!

That's exactly my point. They overrate spunky, but ineffective players, and they are unfairly harsh on big players who don't show the same spunk, regardless of their effectiveness otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad