Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Blues re-sign Zach Sanford (1 year, $2M)

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
This have any influence on moving Tarasenko in order to get rid of his cap hit or are the Blues ok still with cap room? Any talk about if Bozak will be signed by the Blues ? I’m going crazy hoping the Devils trade for Tarasenko but if the Blues don’t absolutely need the cap room then Armstrong has the ability to just keep Tarasenko until he gets the return he wants . If he is strapped for cap space hopefully it would help the Devils position as they could take Tarasenko with zero retention .

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This have any influence on moving Tarasenko in order to get rid of his cap hit or are the Blues ok still with cap room? Any talk about if Bozak will be signed by the Blues ? I’m going crazy hoping the Devils trade for Tarasenko but if the Blues don’t absolutely need the cap room then Armstrong has the ability to just keep Tarasenko until he gets the return he wants . If he is strapped for cap space hopefully it would help the Devils position as they could take Tarasenko with zero retention .
Probably not, but it does help provide clarity, so maybe Army wanted these done before he completes a trade. We could squeeze Thomas and just go with qualifying offer, and we should be fine. Also possible that Sunny starts on LTIR, which means we have 0 issues from a cap perspective. We could also start with just 2 spares as opposed to 3.

I imagine Bozak will sign with the Blues, and that's waiting on a Tarasenko deal. Not much talk on it, that's just my speculation, but I imagine it's similar to the Islanders free agents that they have "signed".

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Probably not, but it does help provide clarity, so maybe Army wanted these done before he completes a trade. We could squeeze Thomas and just go with qualifying offer, and we should be fine. Also possible that Sunny starts on LTIR, which means we have 0 issues from a cap perspective. We could also start with just 2 spares as opposed to 3.

I imagine Bozak will sign with the Blues, and that's waiting on a Tarasenko deal. Not much talk on it, that's just my speculation, but I imagine it's similar to the Islanders free agents that they have "signed".
What’s the$ QO for Thomas at ? Right now Capfriendly has Blyes cap room at 1.5 mil after this signing . However I suck at not being able to factor in things like LTIR that I don’t know about.Wouldn’t Thomas’ money put them over the cap slightly even with Suns on LTIR ? I’m probably looking at things wrong . What’s an approximate on Bozak ? 2-3 mil ?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Seems like his progression/development took a big step backwards in 2021. Any Blues fans that can comment as to why he regressed? He had been tracking nicely to be a solid top 9 option.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Seems like his progression/development took a big step backwards in 2021. Any Blues fans that can comment as to why he regressed? He had been tracking nicely to be a solid top 9 option.
He didn't really regress, just that 4 goal game in 19/20 inflated his stats.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What’s the$ QO for Thomas at ? Right now Capfriendly has Blyes cap room at 1.5 mil after this signing . However I suck at not being able to factor in things like LTIR that I don’t know about.Wouldn’t Thomas’ money put them over the cap slightly even with Suns on LTIR ? I’m probably looking at things wrong . What’s an approximate on Bozak ? 2-3 mil ?
Assuming capfriendly is correct, $874,125. I imagine he'll still get a $2M+ deal, which will require a Tarasenko trade, but Sunny starting on LTIR will mean we technically don't have to trade Tarasenko before the season. I still think we will trade Tarasenko before the season, but our RFAs aren't forcing us into one.

Yeah, probably something in the 2s for Bozak. We wanted to stick to a 1 year deal, but Bozak wanted more term. I'd say the Bonino deal is a good comp for him.

Robert Thomas Qualifying Offer Calculator Results - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He didn't really regress, just that 4 goal game in 19/20 inflated his stats.
That wouldn't even explain the differential in his boxcar stats, where he fell from 30 points to 16 points in roughly the same amount of games.

But his boxcars aren't the only thing that fell. His possession numbers, both total and relative, took a drastic tumble. He was a slightly better than average possession player in both 18-19 and 19-20, but he was a huge drag on possession in 2021.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That wouldn't even explain the differential in his boxcar stats, where he fell from 30 points to 16 points in roughly the same amount of games.

But his boxcars aren't the only thing that fell. His possession numbers, both total and relative, took a drastic tumble. He was a slightly better than average possession player in both 18-19 and 19-20, but he was a huge drag on possession in 2021.
Without looking at the numbers, he had less time with ROR and Perron. He's a 3rd/4th line complimentary winger that is inconsistent. When he got opportunities in the top 6, he failed, but they did help boost his stats, both regular and possession. So, it's not that he regressed, just that when he played with better players, they made him look better than he really was.

It's not like he progressed to being pretty decent and then regressed to being bad, he's just always been below average/bad. He just had moments where you thought he could put it together, but he's just too inconsistent. He can be a solid 3rd/4th liner that can PK though.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Without looking at the numbers, he had less time with ROR and Perron. He's a 3rd/4th line complimentary winger that is inconsistent. When he got opportunities in the top 6, he failed, but they did help boost his stats, both regular and possession. So, it's not that he regressed, just that when he played with better players, they made him look better than he really was.

It's not like he progressed to being pretty decent and then regressed to being bad, he's just always been below average/bad. He just had moments where you thought he could put it together, but he's just too inconsistent. He can be a solid 3rd/4th liner that can PK though.
If that was the sole reason, it would be reflected in his relative possession numbers (which compare his effects against his line mates), but we also saw his relative possession metrics take the same fall. Moreover, his most frequently line mates were still ROR and Perron (followed by ROR and Kyrou).

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Good to see that the $2m he’s making would cancel out the $2m retention in the Tarasenko trade that he kept getting added into. Seems like a decent guy to have in your bottom 6 but a top 6 offensive role is well above his head. Reminds me of Michael Dal Colle based on how he’s described.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
My guess is that he gets added into a tarasenko deal. He's still young enough and he has flashed enough that a change of scenery could help. He had some bad d zone turnovers that soured our fanbase against him, myself included. AND he has shifts/games where he seems to be coasting. We fans can't stand it once we get that impression from a player.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
My guess is that he gets added into a tarasenko deal. He's still young enough and he has flashed enough that a change of scenery could help. He had some bad d zone turnovers that soured our fanbase against him, myself included. AND he has shifts/games where he seems to be coasting. We fans can't stand it once we get that impression from a player.
That’s a pricy add on in a Tarasenko deal even with retention unless the team can be cap neutral with the trade. The only team that could take that on based on the rumors is NJ.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Sanford seems like a player that should be a 4th line winger but a player that isn’t used as a 4th line winger.

Sanford was decent during St. Louis’ cup run in 2019 but struggled last season and was thrust into more of a defensive winger role because of injuries to other players.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Good to see that the $2m he’s making would cancel out the $2m retention in the Tarasenko trade that he kept getting added into. Seems like a decent guy to have in your bottom 6 but a top 6 offensive role is well above his head. Reminds me of Michael Dal Colle based on how he’s described.
A more relative comparison for an Isles fan might be that he is Anders Lee for a week then turns into Josh Ho-Sang for the rest of the month.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
As a Blues fan who has been a Sanford Defender in the past, his second half of the season was exceptionally bad. It seemed like he had kinda settled into his role as random depth scoring with some PK, but he became timid and lost last season. It could have been injury or something else, but he needs to show something or risk being a nightly scratch. But for what he can do, this contract is...whatever.

Most teams league-wide have forgettable depth players like him. Blues fans are just allergic to the idea of someone tall not being Chris Pronger. Short guys who block shots, like Mike Weaver, Ryan Johnson, and Vladimir Sobotka are fan favorites despite being demonstrably useless in almost all other respects. Tall guys like Sanford and Berglund had better behead opponents or they're useless. Blais was beloved and repeatedly imagined as a scoring line player because...reasons? I wouldn't think twice if Sanford were traded for a mid-round pick, and I don't expect him to be with the team in a year, but he's not actually useless. He just has to bring it. 70/30 against that happening, but I really hope it does.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1