Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Blues re-sign Jaden Schwartz [5 years, $5.35M AAV]

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
They have a pretty strong team currently, and I could see the savings from not making this a deal with longer term helping their current window. Use the extra cap space for the next five years for roster upgrades.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I'm surprised this thread isn't longer, this dude is an underrated player.

I did a double take when I saw the thread for the rangers signing Josh Jooris was longer than this one :laugh:

Good deal for both sides. I am not exactly surprised Army kept the AAV below 6, but I am impressed nonetheless.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
i thought he was gonna get 6-6.5 maybe a bit more, this is a down right steal of a contract.
probably top 10-15 contract in he league and it was signed in 2016 holy smokes.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
when shwartz is 29 he will make only $4 mill.

5.5, 6.2, 5.7 then 4 , steal for st louis

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
ahhh yes that's right... honest question, how do Blues fans feel going into the season with Allen/Hutton as goalies? Myself, I like Allen but im not a HUGE fan going in with him as definite #1

Okay with it, but not excited either.
Would have liked another year or two on Schwartz, sure, but the cap is great. Thanks to Doug Armstrong for getting it done early, rather than making us worry like with Pie.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
when shwartz is 29 he will make only $4 mill.

5.5, 6.2, 5.7 then 4 , steal for st louis
And then he's a UFA at 29 and if he hits the open market he's gonna get a **** ton of cash, like 7.5 million per year.

It'll happen if he stays healthy and continues playing like he is. That's what people can't forget when they look at this deal. It looks good for the Blues now but keeping him later will be even tougher, and Schwartz is going to get another big contract.

He's a Newport Sports client. He wants to get paid, and this is what they are trying to set him up to do.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Bad contract

Blues will have to pay up again when he is in his prime...

Should have done 8 years

No. This eats up two UFA years. Adding more to the contract would have considerably cranked up the cap hit starting right now. So much can happen in the NHL in the span of a few years, so there's nothing bad about locking a player up for five years instead of eight. The lower cap hit allows them to be more competitive over those five years and then makes him a lot more tradeable if and when that time comes.

There's also something to be said for satisfying players' desires/comforts. Maybe he didn't want a longer contract, wouldn't sign one, and would not be happy or comfortable if they tried to force him into it.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Where is Pacioretty ? 4.5M cap hit for 6 years (starting 2013). Since then, he managed 0.81 PPG and 0.45 GPG, that's pretty insane for 4.5M.

Seriously. What a steal that contract has been.

This is a great deal though for St.Louis no doubt about it!

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Bad contract

Blues will have to pay up again when he is in his prime...

Should have done 8 years

What incentive would there be for Schwartz to sign for 8 years unless the money was cranked up? I'm sure the Blues would have been interested in a longer deal, but if they insisted on a max term contract Schwartz could have let things go to arbitration for his next few contracts and hit UFA at an even younger age.

5 years works for both sides. The Blues get two of his UFA years at a very decent rate, and Schwartz gets a crack at another major contract before he turns 30.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
As bad as Armstrong is at negotiating trades, he is among the best at negotiating contracts. $5.35m for a player of Schwartz's caliber for 5 years is nothing short of thievery, even if I'd like the deal to be a bit longer.

Yea pretty well known. I've never seen anything like it. He gets a solid D- on trades and an A on everything FA. Re-signing guys, knowing when to let guys walk, bringing guys in.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Very similar to the contract Benn signed in 2012. Now if he can take the next in the next couple of year still remains to be seen but its a good contract . If he takes off during this contract he's going to be very expensive on his next contract but i guess thats fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad