Claimed off Waivers: [STL] Blues claim F Kasperi Kapanen off waivers from the Penguins

Feb 19, 2018
I wonder if this has to do with a Boeser deal? If Kapanen clears like he should then that adds $1.15 cap savings on top of his $3.5 deal for a total of $4.65 and Boeser makes $6.65. That would make it so the Canucks don’t have to retaliate n and the Penguins would probably have to add a 2nd or protected 1st for next year.

Canucks then save both retention spots and can use them in other deals, we know Canucks staff like the player and want a speed game. I’m not saying I want it to happen but I could see a scenario.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
1 more year at $3mil AAV. Only way I see him getting claimed is by a rebuilding team that expected to have cap space next year.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't watch him much, but his stat line looks OK. Right at .5 PPG for 3 mil isn't too far off. Why is Pittsburgh so down on him?
He's soft, plays no defense, and any offense he brings is sporadic at best. He also has next to no hockey sense at all.

The one thing he is good at is lugging pucks up the ice with speed but the Pens have coached him to just dump pucks in, so they've chopped his balls off and neutered the one skill he has.

And yeah he plays with Jeff Carter which hurts him even more

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I wonder if this has to do with a Boeser deal? If Kapanen clears like he should then that adds $1.15 cap savings on top of his $3.5 deal for a total of $4.65 and Boeser makes $6.65. That would make it so the Canucks don’t have to retaliate n and the Penguins would probably have to add a 2nd or protected 1st for next year.

Canucks then save both retention spots and can use them in other deals, we know Canucks staff like the player and want a speed game. I’m not saying I want it to happen but I could see a scenario.
Penguins are in no position to trade for Boeser. There's no salvaging this season. Sell, fire Hextall, and let a new mgmt team navigate an offseason with options

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I would take Kapanen on the Flames if it prevents them from spending assets on depth. Or if he clears, something like Kapanen for Kevin Rooney

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
That only works if you're the only team out there that wants him, and you might be right. It sounds like Hextall circulated that Kapanen was available before making this move, and there were no takers, even for a bag of pucks. This is the last ditch move before you potentially retain on Kappy to get him off the books.
If the Habs fall short on retaining for players soon, I'd deal Rem Pitlick for Kapanen + a later pick. 3rd, 4th, whichever this year, or next.

Pitlick also has another year, but significantly cheaper and all, or just 100k can be buried in the A

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
So much for him being a legit second line winger :D

Hopefully this lights a fire in him and that he takes a page out of his dad's book and becomes a brilliant twoway player!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't watch him much, but his stat line looks OK. Right at .5 PPG for 3 mil isn't too far off. Why is Pittsburgh so down on him?

He offers basically nothing beyond his production. Kapanen's biggest flaw is that he doesn't fit the Penguins 3rd line structure at all and his all-around game beyond his production has really deteriorated.

Statistically, he may look like the same guy he was in Toronto in the past. But he's just absolutely not that anymore. The production is similar, but the overall impact on the ice is just substantially worse.

Reactions: BCNate

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
He is the whipping boy of our dumb coach. Mind you, Kapanen is a pretty frustrating player and isn't helping his case much but he gets scratched multiple times while McGinn can go 24 games without a point and stay in the line-up. Carter can make Josh Archibald look like Patrice Bergeron and still stay in the line-up. And so on.

Reactions: Lustaf

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

that’s a lot of time wasted on math when the Pens just need space to activate Rutta from IR.

Reactions: Lustaf

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I saw a rumor today Hextall nixed a deal where he'd be traded to a team in the East because he didn't want him in the East
Yep, earlier in the season. Then the bonehead had the gumption to send out a note earlier this week to all other 31 teams saying he's available. He has no problem trading Marino within the division though. Ron Hextall is a f***ing moron.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I hear you, but despite that he's always spoken highly of him and his potential. I think Sully looks at Kappy has his rehab project and takes it personally as a coach that he hasn't been able to get results out of him.
I disagree. When Rust was playing like trash it was the perfect opportunity to bump him up in the top 6.

Hell when the team was playing bad it was a perfect opportunity to move him anywhere to try and get some success

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad