Claimed off Waivers: [STL] Blues claim F Kasperi Kapanen off waivers from the Penguins

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Kap turns 27 this summer. I would have to agree he is unlikely to have something magically click now and he fulfills his potential. I recall liking him in his draft year but I’ll be surprised if this turns out well for the Blues.
How badly can it end when all they gave up to get him is some cap space for a year? It's a low risk, medium reward kind of move.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
How badly can it end when all they gave up to get him is some cap space for a year? It's a low risk, medium reward kind of move.
Both Thomas and Kyrou’s $8.1M extensions start next season so they actually have a pretty good cap crunch.

Perhaps he rebounds and they can get a pick for him in a year but I suspect there would’ve been better uses of that cap space available between now and the start of next season.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Good luck to Kapanen with the Blues. Everyone that leaves the Pens does much better, our coach is garbage. Hope we keep losing players for nothing only for them to play great after leaving raising their trade value.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Good move for the Blues....free asset and if used correctly can be a 40-50 point winger.

Hated to seem him sent off like that but Sullivan definitely square peg round holed the guy when he played him 10 mins a night.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
Love this for STL. It's a no risk situation, Kap comes in and performs decently or even possibly performs better than expected, the Blues have a good player at a fair cap hit for next year that they aquired for free but can flip for assets at the TDL next year if they aren't contenders. Kap comes in and becomes the worse player in the league, you got him for free and he only costs you money/3.2 in cap space for one year only so you let him walk after next season is over.

Blues can't lose in this situation.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Love this for STL. It's a no risk situation, Kap comes in and performs decently or even possibly performs better than expected, the Blues have a good player at a fair cap hit for next year that they aquired for free but can flip for assets at the TDL next year if they aren't contenders. Kap comes in and becomes the worse player in the league, you got him for free and he only costs you money/3.2 in cap space for one year only so you let him walk after next season is over.

Blues can't lose in this situation.
There’s an opportunity cost to using that $3.2 million in cap space. That has real value.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
A worthy gamble by the Blues. Kapanen can be a decent middle six winger in the right environment and he is an excellent penalty killer. His cap hit is more than reasonable if he plays to his potential.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still can’t understand why the Blues claimed Kapanen here. At this point, he’s an offense only scoring 3rd liner that will give you like 15 goals and 40 points a year. Is that bad? No, but you can probably get more than that for Kapanen’s cap hit. The Penguins were in an awful cap position, but the Blues basically gave them a “get out of jail free” card with this.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
As a Pens fan I wish it would of worked out and wish him all the best. He was misused here and never seemed to find consistency as a result.

Happy we got out of his salary completely without taking bad salary back. Thanks Blues!

Reactions: uncleben

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Good luck to Kapanen with the Blues. Everyone that leaves the Pens does much better, our coach is garbage. Hope we keep losing players for nothing only for them to play great after leaving raising their trade value.

Heh, it’s funny because I feel similarly about my Sabres (up ‘till recently)- friggin Rodrigues was just lost with us, then a .5 ppg for ya. Not saying you’re wrong, just shows how friggin bad Krueger was/how different players thrive in different situations.

Reactions: Stealth JD

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's never going to be what he looks like he should be.

This is both hilarious and true.

I think that's the challenge with Kapanen. You just have to accept that it's all a big tease, and be okay with the player he actually is. Which is still quite useful if used correctly. But those little flashes that make you think he's finally going to click as a consistent Top-6 scoring winger...those are fake. It's not going to happen, so don't try to force it or expect it to happen, and you could be pretty content with what you do get out of the player.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I still can’t understand why the Blues claimed Kapanen here. At this point, he’s an offense only scoring 3rd liner that will give you like 15 goals and 40 points a year. Is that bad? No, but you can probably get more than that for Kapanen’s cap hit. The Penguins were in an awful cap position, but the Blues basically gave them a “get out of jail free” card with this.
They owe us still for the Ryan Reaves + 2nd for Sundqvist + 1st deal.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Puckluck

Jan 8, 2016
A 3.2 m caphit for a 40 point player seems very reasonable to me.

Reactions: blueswede22

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
The Blues could trade him for a 2nd at the TDL next year, if they're sellers then.
Look man, as a Pens fan I wish Kap all the best from here on out, but the dude has to make a serious turnaround to suddenly turn into 2nd round pick value 12 months from now. This is a guy, who, Pens fans claim failed in Pittsburgh because locker room circumstances did not favor him. Is Craig Berube land in St Louis any much better right now?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'm surprised he was claimed. I think he can be a useful player but cap space is at such a premium right now I didn't think anyone would take it on for free.

Actually was kinda hoping he'd be apart of a Boeser deal to PIT. Good luck to him in STL, I've always liked Kapanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad