Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
Well sportsnet.ca still hasn't updated their news story from:

It appears that meeting did not solve anything, although it was still ongoing as of 6:45 p.m. EST. The league confirmed a news conference with Bettman was scheduled for Wednesday at 1 p.m. EST.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Chileiceman said:
Do youguys think they'll meet tommorow or is this it?
Personally I think they'll meet tomorrow. Whether or not anything will come of it is another matter.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Bruwinz37 said:
I agree. This deal will get done. Neither side is going to leak anything to the media at this point. Something will happen. Dare I say tomorrow is it?
gotta be tomorrow, If only there were a magical day between Tuesday and Wednesday... like, Funday

/old Doug reference

X0ssbar

So it comes down to Tuesday.

Which comment will it be:

1. No progress made
2. We continue to have philosophical differences
3. A cap is a non-starter for us
4. No further comment
5. Season canceled
6. No further meetings scheduled

....or

6. A deal has been reached in principle

If its anything but 6. we're boned. Personally if they meet tomorrow I think we are in good shape - its time for both parties to sh** or get off the pot.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Leafer4Life said:
At least they didn't come out of the meeting saying that no further meetings are planned, so maybe they WILL meet tomorrow..........

There is but ONE thing that is for sure. They will be negotiating from now until the season is cancelled or saved (save some sleep time). There is big time pressure from all around right now. I have no source that tells me that besides my good pal common sense.

I think the NHLPA is starting to realize three important things:

1-The owners arent backing down.

2-The offer is not going to get better come next October

3-The majority of people (former players, fans, general public) are against them.

I also think that a lot of these guys might be afraid some jobs will be lost too, but I think that has always been a real fear.

This will get done because it has to. All involved look terrible if it doesnt. The league and the NHLPA's relationship is over if it doesnt get done by Wednesday and that will be a bad, bad, bad thing for the players.

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
If Gary and Bob really weren't ther, then this had to end tonight so they could be involved tomorrow......

The deadline is 1 pm wed, another day of this yet.....

NewBreed19

WHARF1940 said:
If Gary and Bob really weren't ther, then this had to end tonight so they could be involved tomorrow......

The deadline is 1 pm wed, another day of this yet.....
Bingo! They couldn't have said progress was made tonite, due to the media . They will have Goodenow and Bettmen involved to put finishing touches on the deal in principle. They will then kiss and make up!! :)

Sammy*

Bruwinz37 said:
There is but ONE thing that is for sure. They will be negotiating from now until the season is cancelled or saved (save some sleep time). There is big time pressure from all around right now. I have no source that tells me that besides my good pal common sense.

I think the NHLPA is starting to realize three important things:

1-The owners arent backing down.

2-The offer is not going to get better come next October

3-The majority of people (former players, fans, general public) are against them.

I also think that a lot of these guys might be afraid some jobs will be lost too, but I think that has always been a real fear.

This will get done because it has to. All involved look terrible if it doesnt. The league and the NHLPA's relationship is over if it doesnt get done by Wednesday and that will be a bad, bad, bad thing for the players.
I agree with you & the NHLPA is imo a way worse barganing position come next fall. Frankly, thats why I hope they dont make a deal right now cause I think there is a much more favorable deal for the owners ( Which I believe would increase the chance of ther small market teams becoming more competitive) which may be availiable come next October.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
LOL Didnt they say the meeting was in Buffalo, NY??

Now TSN saids:

The National Hockey League will conduct a news conference with Commissioner Gary Bettman on Wednesday at 1pm et from New York where it is expected he will officially cancel the season. Both sides met Monday for several hours in Niagara Falls, Ontario but no progress was made and no talks were planned for Tuesday. As in some previous meetings, Bettman and union chief Bob Goodenow were not in the room.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
LOL Didnt they say the meeting was in Buffalo, NY??

Yeah it was actually Niagara Falls. Think about it, Valentine's day, Niagara Falls, Bettman, Goodenow.

Kypreos said he just hopes there wasn't a heart shaped jacuzzi involved.

Seriously though, even if they did make progress I'm pretty certain they would still they didn't. Wouldn't serve any purpose to say they made progress.

ResidentAlien*

I find it interesting as well as curious that the League has a statement on their site stating that no progress was made, however the PA has no statement regarding today at all.
Maybe it's just me looking for clues , anyone else notice that and have any thoughts?
Probably doesnt mean much, then again who the H E double hockey sticks knows.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Either progress was made and they only said nothing happened because it would increase pressure for a deal to get done...

Or no progress was actually made.

Based on previous experiences, I think no progress was made.

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
ResidentAlien said:
I find it interesting as well as curious that the League has a statement on their site stating that no progress was made, however the PA has no statement regarding today at all.
Maybe it's just me looking for clues , anyone else notice that and have any thoughts?
Probably doesnt mean much, then again who the H E double hockey sticks knows.

If you would be a full-time optimist, like me, you wouldn't have to worry about searching for clues :D

More seriously, though, I don't think it means anything.

Wetcoaster

Canadian Chris said:
nor is Reilly on mine...although some of his comments sure do piss me off....but hey...everyone is entitled to their opinion...

I still don't understand why the previous CBA could not have simply been re-signed and play while negotiating a new one to take place next year...anyone have any reasoning as to why they may not have done this!?! Would it NOT have kept us happy!?!? And isn't it honestly about US!?!
They did not even have to sign a new agreement, they could have played under the previous agreement and if the owners felt there was no progress they could have called a lockout at any time.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
So the NHLPA offered deal with the cap and the linkage. The NHL turned it down. It makes me wonder if the NHL has more in mind than just the cap. Maybe they are trying to break the NHLPA so to speak. Just a thought...

Wetcoaster

Padawan said:
So the NHLPA offered deal with the cap and the linkage. The NHL turned it down. It makes me wonder if the NHL has more in mind than just the cap. Maybe they are trying to break the NHLPA so to speak. Just a thought...
According to CP the NHL offer and counteroffer by the NHLPA were as follows:
The No. 1 issue that has plagued the NHL lockout went out the window Monday night when the NHL Players' Association offered a deal that included a $52-million US salary cap, The Canadian Press has learned. (The counter offer included the 24% rollback).

The surprising move was made by NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin during his secret meeting with NHL executive vice-president Bill Daly in Niagara Falls, N.Y. Daly began the process Monday by offering a $40-million salary cap without "linkage" - a fixed link between player costs and league revenues, which has long been the centrepiece of the NHL's bid for cost certainty.
http://www.canada.com/sports/story.html?id=cf6b4907-3086-443c-b4ff-a9fd5c51c668

Now it justs looks to be a question of numbers once linkage was off the table. Whether there is enough time to get a deal done is another issue.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Padawan said:

The NHL took away linkage, and the NHLPA agreed to the idea of a cap. The NHLPA wants a cap at 52 million, and the NHL wants it at 40 million. The NHLPA's offer also included the 24% rollback.

I could definitely see them meeting in the middle at about 46 million or so. For the first time since September, I actually have hope that there will be some semblance of a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad