Still confused about Savard's contract

BigChara33*

I'm still confused about Savard's contract, or maybe I'm not.

If he retired he would come off the books, correct?

He doesn't retire because if the doctors deem him fit to play he would either have to play or forfeit his salary.

He makes only $2.5 million more over 3 years on his contract.

He counts as $12m against the cap over the next 3 years.

Why doesn't he just retire after this season? He could only lose $1m (after making over $60m in his hockey career) and that would be if the doctors deemed him suitable to play. Couldn't the Bruins just give him a $1m retirement package?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I'm still confused about Savard's contract, or maybe I'm not.

If he retired he would come off the books, correct?

He doesn't retire because if the doctors deem him fit to play he would either have to play or forfeit his salary.

He makes only $2.5 million more over 3 years on his contract.

He counts as $12m against the cap over the next 3 years.

Why doesn't he just retire after this season? He could only lose $1m (after making over $60m in his hockey career) and that would be if the doctors deemed him suitable to play. Couldn't the Bruins just give him a $1m retirement package?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

so was your GM and how LTIR works when he gave Iginla a bonus laden contract and lost the benefit of Savards LTIR.

If he retired at the end of this season he comes off the books but the difference between salart paid under this contract less cap hit would create a caprcapture situation. He will be paid 27M at end of this year with a cumulative cap hit of 4.027M times 5 years or 20.1 m Bruins would have a 6.9M cap hit with no LTIR relief if he retired.

member 96824

It benefits us fans who try to put roster proposals together, but it's of no real benefit to Savard or the Bruins.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I think I read somewhere that Savard's contract was 'cap circumvention' and even though it was signed well before the NHL created new rules and had the Kovalchuk episode, the Bruins get a cap penalty if he retires early? Whereas now, he gets paid a little and we make his cap hit disappear in full via LTIR. I may be very wrong though. :)

member 96824

I think I read somewhere that Savard's contract was 'cap circumvention' and even though it was signed well before the NHL created new rules and had the Kovalchuk episode, the Bruins get a cap penalty if he retires early? Whereas now, he gets paid a little and we make his cap hit disappear in full via LTIR. I may be very wrong though. :)

Yeah, big part of why NYR bought out Richards this offseason with that get out of jail free card.

I believe it was actually part of negotiating the cap recapture in was allowing those GM's the ability to buy out those players rather than be hit with a recapture penalty that wasn't in place when the contract was signed.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-cap-advantage-recapture-work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad