Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 3

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
random question: Does the blade pattern of a stick necessarily determine the lie?

For example, would Bauer make a stick with a P88 curve in both a 5, and a 6 lie?

or is it more like P88 only comes in a 6 lie, whereas a P28 only comes in a 5 lie?
Most companies sell with one lie for simplicity of retail purposes. Bauer I think uses a 6 lie for the most part. If you look into companies with more customizable options, you could get a specific curve in a different lie than stock. Pro stock sticks is a good example of this’d

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If anybody is interested in trying out a different stick. Twig Hockey has a sale on all their sticks for a few more days and I can email you a 1st time $30 off code. Comes to $109 or less for a shipped stick. I'm currently using the Dispatch B and love it. My other sticks are mainly top-end QRE and Jetspeed line. I like the twig better than any tron, pro blackout, or other non-major company I've tried and recommend it as a more affordable high-end stick.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Twighockey sticks are on sale until Monday.
$20 off. (137.99)
If you don't have an account yet, I can refer you to get you an additional $30 off. $107.99 + shipping. Pretty good stick at that price. I like the low-kick Dispatch B.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

$370 before tax....

I literally can't comprehend stick prices anymore...like who is buying these sticks and how is there a market???

If you want a good top of the line stick with good feel and pop your'e simply gonna get raped. its honestly making me think if it's worth it to keep playing. these sticks break like toothpicks sometimes too.

i dont wanna scour a bunch of bougy websites and places trying to find a steal just to get a decent price on a good stick that i can comfortably afford and not worry about breaking and being SoL.

/rant

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022

$370 before tax....

I literally can't comprehend stick prices anymore...like who is buying these sticks and how is there a market???

If you want a good top of the line stick with good feel and pop your'e simply gonna get raped. its honestly making me think if it's worth it to keep playing. these sticks break like toothpicks sometimes too.

i dont wanna scour a bunch of bougy websites and places trying to find a steal just to get a decent price on a good stick that i can comfortably afford and not worry about breaking and being SoL.

/rant
Prostockhockeysticks.com

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

$370 before tax....

/rant
In fairness, you can get a good stick, with good feel and pop, for much cheaper. There are options.
1. The top of the line sticks that are several year old didn't suddenly become low tier sticks.
2. Brands like Hockeystickman, all black, Twig, Revolt, etc. As somebody else mentioned prostickhockey.
3. STX usually has fair prices and offer good sticks.
4. Learn how to shoot left handed if you don't already. You will benefit from the sales. :)

It's odd that CCM JetSpeed went in the direction of changing the shaft. Maybe it's just for the ghost?

I agree, though, the prices are getting outrageous. The warranties don't get better. I would never pay full price for top of the line sticks from top brands.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
For Xmas I got myself a Sherwood Rekker Legend Max mid price point stick with a discount for 125 bucks and man….best stick I’ve ever had. Just such powerful wristers with minimal to no effort. I’m blown away. Instantly I just thought to myself this stick is a weapon. This is by far the most expensive and high end stick I’ve owned and I can’t imagine how much better a $300 stick would be. My duster self def reached its zenith with this stick. 68 flex and P90 curve.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Picked up one of these from my LHS. $150, but no warranty. saw a guy on my hockey team with one and said what the hell is bladetech....

light as a feather, haven't got to even test it out yet though.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Picked up one of these from my LHS. $150, but no warranty. saw a guy on my hockey team with one and said what the hell is bladetech....

light as a feather, haven't got to even test it out yet though.
Let me know what you think. I looked this stick over a few times but never pulled the plug and typically went back to hockeystickman, and Twighockey for the cheaper, off-brand selections.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Let me know what you think. I looked this stick over a few times but never pulled the plug and typically went back to hockeystickman, and Twighockey for the cheaper, off-brand selections.

So far i used it for one game and an open hockey/shoot around session.

It's solid. It's light and good enough for the price but it's noticeably not the top of the line Sherwood Rekker or Bauer Nexus Geo's i was using previously. the 'pop' of the stick and feel/performance are a step down from those. 'You get what you pay for' I guess, despite those sticks being criminally priced.

The durability will be the key in whether i buy the stick again. If it lasts long and holds up, i will probably buy again. If it gets chewed up quick and wears down or breaks fast, I will not.

My next purchase will prob be to try prostockhockeysticks and try either the Third line for $109 or Red Line for $159 before tax/shipping and see how those compare.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022

It's solid. It's light and good enough for the price but it's noticeably not the top of the line Sherwood Rekker or Bauer Nexus Geo's i was using previously. the 'pop' of the stick and feel/performance are a step down from those. 'You get what you pay for' I guess, despite those sticks being criminally priced.

The durability will be the key in whether i buy the stick again. If it lasts long and holds up, i will probably buy again. If it gets chewed up quick and wears down or breaks fast, I will not.

My next purchase will prob be to try prostockhockeysticks and try either the Third line for $109 or Red Line for $159 before tax/shipping and see how those compare.
In my experience, the red line feels just as good as the top of the line sticks. Can’t speak for the Third line though.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009

I got a third line Kovalchuk curve and it’s a good stick. But I think there’s better options. At prostock hockey you can get better sticks for same price with rare curves.

If you can find a True XC9 I recommend scooping it.
I hear and have read so many terrible things about true. That they break just by looking at them.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I got a third line Kovalchuk curve and it’s a good stick. But I think there’s better options. At prostock hockey you can get better sticks for same price with rare curves.

I hear and have read so many terrible things about true. That they break just by looking at them.
That hasn’t been my experience with them and I’ve been buying them almost exclusively (tried a Pro Blackout Custom) for the past 8 years. I was using a 105 flex but now have to use 95 since they stopped making 105, so that may be one reason.

My son broke his 9x3 after 4 games of use (it was stepped on and slashed) but the replacement has been going strong since mid November.

XC9 has been my favourite. I broke a Catalyst pro stock relatively soon after buying it, but that’s the case with most pro stocks I’ve tried.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
That hasn’t been my experience with them and I’ve been buying them almost exclusively (tried a Pro Blackout Custom) for the past 8 years. I was using a 105 flex but now have to use 95 since they stopped making 105, so that may be one reason.

My son broke his 9x3 after 4 games of use (it was stepped on and slashed) but the replacement has been going strong since mid November.

XC9 has been my favourite. I broke a Catalyst pro stock relatively soon after buying it, but that’s the case with most pro stocks I’ve tried.
Yeah I mean, like anything, people will have mixed experiences with X product. I’m just talking from what I’ve read on Reddit and modsquadhockey and YouTube etc True doesn’t have good reviews as far as longevity. Again, just what I’ve seen. It’s not just their sticks though, their custom skates people love them but talk about longevity issues as well which they lament since custom skates ain’t cheap. But, if your experience has been positive then that’s all that matters. Sometimes the spaces online could just be a reflection of the most vocal bad experiences while those with good don’t feel a need to go bash it.

Anyway, I’ve given Sherwood products a try lately and I’m impressed. Loving the new Rekker Legend with max height. Currently my go to stick P90 curve.

About the ProBlackout, is that from hockeystickman? I checked them out cuz they’re one of the few carrying a true Lidstrom curve and since I play D I kinda wanna give that a try. I’ve never had a flat curve and square toe stick. My beer league starts back up like in a week and I’ll use my Sherwood and see how it goes. Otherwise I might get a Lidstrom.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah I mean, like anything, people will have mixed experiences with X product. I’m just talking from what I’ve read on Reddit and modsquadhockey and YouTube etc True doesn’t have good reviews as far as longevity. Again, just what I’ve seen. It’s not just their sticks though, their custom skates people love them but talk about longevity issues as well which they lament since custom skates ain’t cheap. But, if your experience has been positive then that’s all that matters. Sometimes the spaces online could just be a reflection of the most vocal bad experiences while those with good don’t feel a need to go bash it.

Anyway, I’ve given Sherwood products a try lately and I’m impressed. Loving the new Rekker Legend with max height. Currently my go to stick P90 curve.

About the ProBlackout, is that from hockeystickman? I checked them out cuz they’re one of the few carrying a true Lidstrom curve and since I play D I kinda wanna give that a try. I’ve never had a flat curve and square toe stick. My beer league starts back up like in a week and I’ll use my Sherwood and see how it goes. Otherwise I might get a Lidstrom.
Yep, hockeystickman. I went with a Laine and it’s pretty good value.

Reactions: Panteras

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
My Bladetech Twig is still kicking after, idk 30-35 games, if i had to guess. (I play on a few teams).

I cut it down a bit and it's listed as 77 flex and low kick but it still feels pretty stiff to me. The stick doesn't have the pop and easy release as true top line sticks as i mentioned earlier, i have to work a litlte harder than i would using those sticks to get a good hard shot off.

But since it's lasted so long with no issues, i'm gonna buy another one, this time try the 67 flex version and see how shooting is with that flex.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
My Bladetech Twig is still kicking after, idk 30-35 games, if i had to guess. (I play on a few teams).

I cut it down a bit and it's listed as 77 flex and low kick but it still feels pretty stiff to me. The stick doesn't have the pop and easy release as true top line sticks as i mentioned earlier, i have to work a litlte harder than i would using those sticks to get a good hard shot off.

But since it's lasted so long with no issues, i'm gonna buy another one, this time try the 67 flex version and see how shooting is with that flex.
That's a decent amount of games there for a stick. Their website always rubbed me the wrong way.
  • No warranty on Blackout sticks... so buy 2 (use BLACKOUT for a discount on multiple sticks)
To be honest, there's so many of these popping up now. Most are starting to get into that 150-175 range, and the detailed specs are so similar it's hard to choose one over the other without using word of mouth. What makes one better than the other? They really can't tell you.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
That's a decent amount of games there for a stick. Their website always rubbed me the wrong way.
  • No warranty on Blackout sticks... so buy 2 (use BLACKOUT for a discount on multiple sticks)
To be honest, there's so many of these popping up now. Most are starting to get into that 150-175 range, and the detailed specs are so similar it's hard to choose one over the other without using word of mouth. What makes one better than the other? They really can't tell you.

I don't think anyonne, including themselves, think it'll be the best stick you'll use. but good enough for the pricepoint. My LHS sold it to me for $150 cash, no tax

i am picking up a 2nd one because of the durability, it really isn't showing signs of wear yet on the blade and like i said i play alot iwth it.

Hoping the 67 flex will let me shoot a little easier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad