Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 3

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
After reading the spec sheet, it feels like the technology plateaued a while back. These sticks are hardly different from the ones that came out 3 years ago.

If you were to compare the feel of this stick with the 1X Lite from a few years ago, would you feel the difference?

I can't speak to Bauer, but for CCM sticks a 2020 Super Tacks AS3 Pro will feel significantly different than say a 2017 Super Tacks 2.0. The reduction in weight and improvement in swing weight and balance is quite noticeable. Since going with Sigmatex for the construction material of their top of the line sticks in 2017, each year they seem to have found ways to improve upon the previous years iteration. That being said, if a consumer say went with a new CCM stick every two years, I think that would be sufficient. Once you get 3 years out, your probably buying a much lesser product. For example, I think I'd buy the most recent 2nd or even 3rd (if it's a team stick) price point stick in a line (for example the Jetspeed line) before buying the top-of-the-line stick from that same line from 3 year ago on clearance. To me, two year old top-of-the-line sticks on clearance are your best bang for your buck. For example, Jetspeed Ft2s are being reduced now with the Jetspeed Ft4 Pro soon coming out.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
Hi guys,

About me, I play beer league, intermediate "bronze" level and play defense. With skates, I'm 5'10. I haven't purchased a stick in nearly 4 years or so. I currently use an Intermediate Bauer Vapor APX2, P14, 67flex, my back-up stick is a Senior Warrior Covert DT1 LT, Yakupov, 85 flex. Both of these were acquired on a heavy discount from my buddy that worked at HockeyMonkey, as they were demo sticks.

I do love how light the APX2 is, and the fact that it is non-grip, and has a very smooth/round feel to it is another plus. However, I feel like the blade is pretty weak/noodley. I am able to get great shots off with it, but where I struggle is receiving hard passes. I do know how to receive passes, but sometimes I'm not able to allow that bit of give in a game situation as the puck first hits the blade and it seems like I botch a clean reception more than I'd like to. I'm sure my technique can be better but I'm also wondering if the stick is just done due to age and use? I rarely use the Warrior stick, I'll mess around with it here and there, but always find myself preferring the APX2. If I'm lucky, I will get to fire off 3-5 shots from the point during our games...just depends how good we are playing, or how bad the other team is.

All that being said I'm looking to pick up something new. From what I read, a "mid-kick" is great for getting power on clappers, and a "low-kick" is great for quick shots more down low, in close...I think? I do like the feel of the shot with the APX2, but I'm open to your suggestions. I also like that I don't have to cut an Intermediate stick, so the flex stated, is the flex I get. When I have purchased Sr. sticks in the past, I ended up buying a 75 flex, and cut it down nearly three inches, putting it near or at the 100 flex range...which I find is too stiff for me.

Do you have any suggestions at what I should maybe look at getting? I'm comfortable spending between $100-$150 and so far I have been looking at a CCM RibCore and another Bauer Vapor.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I can't speak to Bauer, but for CCM sticks a 2020 Super Tacks AS3 Pro will feel significantly different than say a 2017 Super Tacks 2.0. The reduction in weight and improvement in swing weight and balance is quite noticeable. Since going with Sigmatex for the construction material of their top of the line sticks in 2017, each year they seem to have found ways to improve upon the previous years iteration. That being said, if a consumer say went with a new CCM stick every two years, I think that would be sufficient. Once you get 3 years out, your probably buying a much lesser product. For example, I think I'd buy the most recent 2nd or even 3rd (if it's a team stick) price point stick in a line (for example the Jetspeed line) before buying the top-of-the-line stick from that same line from 3 year ago on clearance. To me, two year old top-of-the-line sticks on clearance are your best bang for your buck. For example, Jetspeed Ft2s are being reduced now with the Jetspeed Ft4 Pro soon coming out.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I was alluding to the gap in technology between much older sticks like going from the One 90 to One 95 to Total One . I felt the same way in the same time period going from X60 to APX to APX2.

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but I felt like the technology was advancing at a really fast rate about 10 years ago. It could be that it's just about to reach maturity like many other technologies around us (smartphones, laptops etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinDust

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Hi guys,

About me, I play beer league, intermediate "bronze" level and play defense. With skates, I'm 5'10. I haven't purchased a stick in nearly 4 years or so. I currently use an Intermediate Bauer Vapor APX2, P14, 67flex, my back-up stick is a Senior Warrior Covert DT1 LT, Yakupov, 85 flex. Both of these were acquired on a heavy discount from my buddy that worked at HockeyMonkey, as they were demo sticks.

I do love how light the APX2 is, and the fact that it is non-grip, and has a very smooth/round feel to it is another plus. However, I feel like the blade is pretty weak/noodley. I am able to get great shots off with it, but where I struggle is receiving hard passes. I do know how to receive passes, but sometimes I'm not able to allow that bit of give in a game situation as the puck first hits the blade and it seems like I botch a clean reception more than I'd like to. I'm sure my technique can be better but I'm also wondering if the stick is just done due to age and use? I rarely use the Warrior stick, I'll mess around with it here and there, but always find myself preferring the APX2. If I'm lucky, I will get to fire off 3-5 shots from the point during our games...just depends how good we are playing, or how bad the other team is.

All that being said I'm looking to pick up something new. From what I read, a "mid-kick" is great for getting power on clappers, and a "low-kick" is great for quick shots more down low, in close...I think? I do like the feel of the shot with the APX2, but I'm open to your suggestions. I also like that I don't have to cut an Intermediate stick, so the flex stated, is the flex I get. When I have purchased Sr. sticks in the past, I ended up buying a 75 flex, and cut it down nearly three inches, putting it near or at the 100 flex range...which I find is too stiff for me.

Do you have any suggestions at what I should maybe look at getting? I'm comfortable spending between $100-$150 and so far I have been looking at a CCM RibCore and another Bauer Vapor.

All my Vapor sticks always broke near the blade area or near the hosel, it could be a sign that the blade is about to give in. They make the lower part of the shaft and the blade very stiff on Vapor sticks to maximize release speed, but I think the drawback might be that it causes the stick to fail in that region when receiving hard passes or deflecting pucks out of the air.

As for your new choice of stick, non-grip sticks have basically gone extinct at the retail level unfortunately. The only non-grip pro stock sticks I can find are 100/110 flex steel bars, which is not what you're looking for. You might be able to make the stick back into a non-grip by applying a clear coating or using fine sandpaper to remove the layer of grip.

Since you like the APX2 (one of my favourite sticks of all time), I think you'll be pleased by the Ribcor line from CCM. I hear nothing but great things from people who own Ribcor sticks regarding their performance. Warrior is also a good choice, their sticks are much better than they used to be and there are good deals online for older high end Warrior models that will fit your price range.

Reactions: beedee

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Hi guys,

I'm a CCM guy and have now tried a decent variety of low (Trigger ASY, Trigger 2, Trigger 3D, LK Team Stick) and mid (Ultra-tacks and Super Tacks 2.0) and recently picked up a Hybrid Kickpoint in the Jetspeed FT2.

My take.......unless a beer-leaguer has a really good understanding of your shooting mechanics (what works and what doesn't, for example low kicks don't really work well for me shooting-wise) and have solid mechanics themselves, most beer-leaguers (especially beginner or intermediate players) should go with a hybrid kick-point. Just my opinion.

Being as it is marketed as the happy middle ground between low and mid kick sticks, I find the hybrid kickpoint much more forgiving than the low or mid kicks. What I mean by that is you'll still get a decent shot off consistently even if your mechanics on a particular shot aren't sound, like say you were off-balance while taking the shot, that sort of thing.

Reactions: beedee

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hi guys,

If I was playing D, I would not go top of the line. I would go 1-2 steps below. Those sticks tend to take a beating much better than high end sticks. That, or pro stock. And I would definitely go with an 85 flex. As a defenseman, you're going to need a stick that doesn't flex a lot when winning puck battles.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
It really grinds my gears that they basically eliminated the PM9/P14/E4/etc curve from retail. Some of us still like a very slight curve. Had to order a new stick with the 88 curve today; hoping it’s a smooth transition.

Reactions: LarryO

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Trying to decide between Nexus 3N Pro and waiting for the new Jetspeed FT4; any thoughts? I currently use Nexus 1Ns.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Trying to decide between Nexus 3N Pro and waiting for the new Jetspeed FT4; any thoughts? I currently use Nexus 1Ns.

A couple things in case you didn't know

3N Pro ($220) is not the top Nexus stick, Geo is.
FT4 Pro is purportedly gonna cost $360 dollars when it launches.

So that's like a $140 difference between the 3N Pro and FT4 Pro. That's really what it comes down to, can you justify the big price gap. We don't know most of the features of the FT4 Pro yet since it's only available to NHLers. For the average Joe Men's leaguer who's already comfrotable with the Nexus line, I don't think it's really worth it.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
A couple things in case you didn't know

3N Pro ($220) is not the top Nexus stick, Geo is.
FT4 Pro is purportedly gonna cost $360 dollars when it launches.

So that's like a $140 difference between the 3N Pro and FT4 Pro. That's really what it comes down to, can you justify the big price gap. We don't know most of the features of the FT4 Pro yet since it's only available to NHLers. For the average Joe Men's leaguer who's already comfrotable with the Nexus line, I don't think it's really worth it.

Appreciate it. I'm aware the Geo is the top-of-the-line Nexus now. I would also go with the base FT4 and not the Pro if I went that way so not nearly the same price gap.

I've been happy with the 1N and only reason I'm considering changing lines is just the amount of really good things I've heard about the FT2 and 3/Pro. I usually like to try to find the previous top end on clearance right before the new release but can't find any FT3s in my spec.

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
Just thought I'd follow up to my post above about getting a new stick. I ended up grabbing two CCM JetSpeed FT3 "Grip" P90TM on sale. Been really enjoying the new twig.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just thought I'd follow up to my post above about getting a new stick. I ended up grabbing two CCM JetSpeed FT3 "Grip" P90TM on sale. Been really enjoying the new twig.

You can't go wrong with a Jetspeed IMO. I have quite the collection of Tacks and Ribcore(s) and they are now collecting dust as my Jetspeed FT2 is by far and away my favorite stick since my beloved Ultra-Tacks.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
You can't go wrong with a Jetspeed IMO. I have quite the collection of Tacks and Ribcore(s) and they are now collecting dust as my Jetspeed FT2 is by far and away my favorite stick since my beloved Ultra-Tacks.

Interesting, never tried Jetspeed. Used to be Tacks guy, now on Ribcor and i quite like them, i mean i don't think too much about it really and never felt like i needed anything else but why not on the other hand.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It really grinds my gears that they basically eliminated the PM9/P14/E4/etc curve from retail. Some of us still like a very slight curve. Had to order a new stick with the 88 curve today; hoping it’s a smooth transition.

I’m on the other end of the scale and I use huge toe curves mainly, but I can relate to you.

Bauer used to carry the P08 which was my favorite retail curve. When it got discontinued, I had to switch to the P28 which I find meh.

I’ve used the P92 and P88 but they’re way too flat for my liking.

Now I use pro stock sticks exclusively and I won’t look back. Many more options for people like you and me with particular preferences in curves.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Does anyone here have any insight as to how much 'design leeway' a player has towards designing a stick?

I'm basically in the process of buying a Mikko Rantanen 'Sherwood Rekker M90'. I understand the color scheme on a regular M90 is black and red, but the one that I'm purchasing is all blacked out much like in this photo:

8b9688c30c5e40d29246a2ef75fea52a.jpg

From my research, Sherwood does make a M90 grip, but I can't tell if it's all black as well, OR if Ratanen requested this design change.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Does anyone here have any insight as to how much 'design leeway' a player has towards designing a stick?

I'm basically in the process of buying a Mikko Rantanen 'Sherwood Rekker M90'. I understand the color scheme on a regular M90 is black and red, but the one that I'm purchasing is all blacked out much like in this photo:

8b9688c30c5e40d29246a2ef75fea52a.jpg

From my research, Sherwood does make a M90 grip, but I can't tell if it's all black as well, OR if Ratanen requested this design change.

On the regular retail sticks including the grip version, i've only seen black/red graphics. Kakko had an all Black Rekker like that too before he switched away from Sherwood

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
On the regular retail sticks including the grip version, i've only seen black/red graphics. Kakko had an all Black Rekker like that too before he switched away from Sherwood

I wonder if it was a style choice like a Nexus 1000 (all blacked out), or if it was a licensing issue (but Debrincat/Byfield used a CODE V with no problems?).

either way, making the purchase today.

LOVE the avatar!! :laugh::eek::thumbu:

Neil92

Sep 3, 2018
random question: Does the blade pattern of a stick necessarily determine the lie?

For example, would Bauer make a stick with a P88 curve in both a 5, and a 6 lie?

or is it more like P88 only comes in a 6 lie, whereas a P28 only comes in a 5 lie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad