stick handling help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
this may sound like a stupid question, but here goes anyways

I play defense and my style is stay at home, take the man and throw the hit. my stick handling skills are medium at best. I have very good skating skills though. I`d like to know what can be done to improve my stick handling skills? routines that can help? someone also mentionned to me once that some sticks are actually designed to help improve puck/stick handling. true? and if so, which sticks might that be?

thanx

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
Pat said:

I play defense and my style is stay at home, take the man and throw the hit. my stick handling skills are medium at best. I have very good skating skills though. I`d like to know what can be done to improve my stick handling skills? routines that can help? someone also mentionned to me once that some sticks are actually designed to help improve puck/stick handling. true? and if so, which sticks might that be?

thanx
Practice...Find a friend (who is a good stik handler) and play one on one for a few years. This is the only way to get better at it.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Street hockey.

Stickhandling with a tennis ball in the driveway is one of the best ways to impove your skills.

"Nifty" Rick Middleton credits most of his slick skills to all the street hockey he played as a kid.

ftyutin51

Jul 2, 2004
Huntington Bay, NY
I don't know what kind of sticks you can buy to help your stick-handling skills, but I use the Easton Synergy stick. The stick itself is very light, which helps for a faster and more accurate (imo) wrist shot. Not to mention that it is awesome for stick-handling and deking (if you can). One drill I like to do (since I'm naturally a offensive type player) is I set up some cones (around 15), and just take the puck or ball and try to zig-zag (on skates of course) my way through the cones without knocking one down or losing the puck/ball. If I do (this is when you have to learn to discipline yourself), I stop right away and start over until I can get through the cones in perfect position. Another thing I like to do is I go skating full speed around the rink, carrying the puck and trying to control the puck back & forth. Eventually the laps get tighter but you should still go full speed on your skates because its more challenging that way. But the best practice you can get is by actually PLAYING the game and eventually you learn some tricks and get better.

I have a question for you though.. if you are a stay-at-home type defensmen, why would you need to have great puck-handling, which is more of a offensive type defensmen skill? Or do you just want to have a more complete game?

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
Practicing with a golf ball can also be a good way to improve; the things are so light and bouncy that handling a puck is easy by comparison, and they're not much taller than a puck (a tennis ball is, so you might get into a bad habit of not keeping the stick blade low enough and end up letting the puck slide under your stick a lot).

USA Hockey has a number of good drills here.

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
Try a shorter stick. It helps a lot. Of course that might be bad advice for a stay at home defensemen where a longer stick is an asset.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
more curve in the blade keeps the puck closer to you and makes it easier to stick handle... but as a D-man you don't want to use THAT much of a curve because it will mess up your slap shot.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Morrass said:
Street hockey.

Stickhandling with a tennis ball in the driveway is one of the best ways to impove your skills.

"Nifty" Rick Middleton credits most of his slick skills to all the street hockey he played as a kid.
Good call. When I used to coach young kids, I used to pick out a day for them to just have fun and play foot hockey. Foot hockey forces you to move your feet and stickhandle at the same time. It just creates good habits for ice hockey and gives a great work out IMO.

Another thing is practicing with a weighted puck. I practice it at every 30 degree angle until the puck is in back of me and then slip it through my legs. Practicing your toe drag with a weighted puck is great too.

Practicing stickhandling between chair legs is also very good. It gets you out of the habit of keeping the stick on top of the puck when stick handling.

I think that everyone will tell you the same thing and thats practice, practice and more practicing.

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
Couldn't agree more with two things mentioned already. Using a shorter stick (I'm 6'2, play defense and I use a stick shorter than guys on my team who are 5'9). The other thing is ball hockey definitely improves your stick handling. Much harder to stick handle while running cause once you stop moving your feet, you stop. Whereas on skates you can glide.

KariyaIsGod*

technophile said:
Practicing with a golf ball can also be a good way to improve; the things are so light and bouncy that handling a puck is easy by comparison, and they're not much taller than a puck (a tennis ball is, so you might get into a bad habit of not keeping the stick blade low enough and end up letting the puck slide under your stick a lot).

Yeah, whenever you go to the rink, just spend ten minutes playing with a golf ball...

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
Icer said:
Try a shorter stick. It helps a lot. Of course that might be bad advice for a stay at home defensemen where a longer stick is an asset.

Yeah I have better stickhandling with a shorter stick.

I also have been stickhandling with a golf ball at home or at the rink. But I have 4 pucks (started with 2) taped to the shaft near the bottom. It makes the puck feel lighter and quicker to handle. Plus it makes your shots harder.

Namorami

Dec 5, 2005
technophile said:

good site !!

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
If you don't tape the blade, then do so. You're automatically improving your stickhandling!

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Morrass said:
Street hockey.

This is great advice. And remember to keep your head up while you work on it.
Also, a great workout exercise to strengthen your wrists and forearms it to tie a weight to a peice of rope with the other end tied to a stick. The grip the stick and 'roll' the weight up and down. This will definately improve your stickhandling. Trust me.

HandsOfCement

Dec 13, 2005
Sean Skinner is the king of stickhandling training - maybe consider buying his DVD series...

www.stickhandling.com

My son uses them, and at 11 he's far better with the puck than I ever was or will be (not that that's saying much! :) )

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Get a golf ball, get out on the pavement and stickhandle. Wood sticks have better puck feel than composites, so you may want to try one (if you aren't already). Just work on the basic side to side, front to back (forehand and backhand), figure 8's and all of those. Get better and quicker over time and you'll be golden.

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
Hank19 said:
This is great advice. And remember to keep your head up while you work on it.
Also, a great workout exercise to strengthen your wrists and forearms it to tie a weight to a peice of rope with the other end tied to a stick. The grip the stick and 'roll' the weight up and down. This will definately improve your stickhandling. Trust me.
It's easy to do while watching TV or something, too.

member 30781

Pat said:

thanx
Why dont you try to arrange a meeting with Peter Forsberg. He has to be one of the best stick handlers in the world. He uses a small stick because he can keep the puck close to him and to maneuver it any way he wants. You can try a smaller stick.

MiZZZike*

technophile said:
It's easy to do while watching TV or something, too.

It's also better to do it watching TV, it will help you to keep your head up.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
HandsOfCement said:
Sean Skinner is the king of stickhandling training - maybe consider buying his DVD series...

www.stickhandling.com

My son uses them, and at 11 he's far better with the puck than I ever was or will be (not that that's saying much! :) )

I've watched the preview to his stickhandling videos. Insanse! If I had an abundance of time and money I'd buy these for sure.

www.skinnerhockey.com

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
FoppaMan21 said:
Why dont you try to arrange a meeting with Peter Forsberg. He has to be one of the best stick handlers in the world. He uses a small stick because he can keep the puck close to him and to maneuver it any way he wants. You can try a smaller stick.

Have you ever noticed the size of his gloves? They almost look like childrens gloves. I'm not sure it that helps him or not but I thought it was strange.

RedAce

Mar 9, 2005
New York, NY
You know the funny thing to me is that all those moves and "insane" tricks on Skinners stickhandeling video have all been copied and are all old moves and tricks and training techniques used and invented by the Russians back in the 60's and 70's.
I got all kinds of video of the russians doing things with the puck that no one ever saw before back in th 70's. Anyway the point is that it takes practice, LOTS of practise to get good. it something you should constanly work on when you have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad