stick flex discussion

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I usually play a short stick... but for fun I took my buddy's ST out which he has at almost eyelevel in length w/o skates and at the mouth with skates

its the same flex, same stick, just a different blade (iggy vs sakic)
85 flex, and to me... it feels like a whip

unlike my "cut down" stick, it also seems so much more forgiving (maybe the blade) but I can load on one-timer whether the pass is in the proper spot, out in front or way behind me... where with my stick I have to hit to right on the heel and it needs to be in the sweet spot lining up with or just in front of my front skate to load great

man its fun, but I do prefer dangling with a shorter stick... @ 85 cut down to my collar bone, I'll bet I'm using something close to 110

like you i also love shorter sticks, any SR size stick you get cut down is into the 100's easily. earlier this year i bought a 75 flex intermediate stick which i cut 1.5" off of instead of the usualy 8". it made a huge difference, still have the short stick but the puck flies off it now.

651*

Well 85 flex is the normal recommendation for someone your height but sounds like you played a high level in the past and might like a stiffer 100 flex? I know my uncle who played varsity and some juniors back in the day is under 6' but uses 100+ flex because he used to play with Sherwood 9950's.

Hard to say unless you try them out. Can you take some shots with some of the other guys' sticks in warmups? See what they feel like?

Also, around here Total Hockey has some great deals. You can get some $150-200 sticks for half price. I got a Miken Z9 last month and it's a really good stick, although if you're used to wood blades it might be a bit of a weird transition. Maybe try a 90 flex for them (closer to 100 flex for other brands)?

I had a fairly good slapper early on but didn't physically develop like other guys when we hit that bantam age. I played varsity last; haven't really played since outside of pick up games.

I got back from a couple Play it Agains and am still thinking. Since our outside ice here in MN is pretty much gone in a week or so hopefully I'll get some open hockey pick ups at Phalen here on the East Side though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad