Prospect Info: STI 2021 Draft Rankings 2.0 for May -- Top 64

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I remember hearing the name so I did a search for some of @StevenToddIves
posts and here some info to make it easy on peeps:

I'm pretty sure I wrote this before the U-18 tournament, where Stankoven really impressed. He's a heck of an NHL prospect, I'm a huge fan. It bears noting that I originally thought he might project to C at the NHL level, but now I see him at RW. This might drop him down the Devils rankings board, as the Devils are extremely deep at the position and there's no way Stankoven would initially challenge Mercer or Holtz for the top 2 in the prospect pool.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
I'm a big Eklund fan, but he's not in Caufield's league in terms of offensive talent. Caufield is special. It's funny, because many critics downgraded the 2019 US-NTDP draft eligibles, citing that they all inflated each other because they were all on the same team. But right now, I'd say the top 3 of a 2019 re-draft could easily be Hughes/Zegras/Caufield. I'd say Turcotte, Boldy and Knight would also be likely top 10 selections, and York would not be too far behind. That was just a special team.
I think Caulfield and Eklund are completely different players and I actually think Eklund will be the better overall player between the two while Caulfield will probably end up the better goal scorer still. Like I’ve stated before I’m super high on Eklund. I feel like Caulfields game is somewhat limited as he needs to beat you with his shot, skill, and north south skating while Eklund can beat you with his mind, elusiveness, and elite playmaking ability.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
I'm pretty sure I wrote this before the U-18 tournament, where Stankoven really impressed. He's a heck of an NHL prospect, I'm a huge fan. It bears noting that I originally thought he might project to C at the NHL level, but now I see him at RW. This might drop him down the Devils rankings board, as the Devils are extremely deep at the position and there's no way Stankoven would initially challenge Mercer or Holtz for the top 2 in the prospect pool.
I feel like we will utilize Mercer as the 3rd line center but he also be can easily move to RW in the top 2 lines. He will likely be extremely effective in both roles so if we had to make room for a stankoven in the top 6 I think they will shift the players around appropriately. I’m actually a big fan of skilled players playing their off wing as well as I think it can really open things up offensively for players

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think Caulfield and Eklund are completely different players and I actually think Eklund will be the better overall player between the two while Caulfield will probably end up the better goal scorer still. Like I’ve stated before I’m super high on Eklund. I feel like Caulfields game is somewhat limited as he needs to beat you with his shot, skill, and north south skating while Eklund can beat you with his mind, elusiveness, and elite playmaking ability.

I'm not arguing on Eklund -- I'm a huge fan.

But I suggest you watch more Cole Caufield. Caufield is unbelievably creative, and I'd say he's a superior playmaker to Eklund. Caufield just shoots more because his shot is not just elite -- it's potentially a Rocket Richard-winning trait. Eklund is a terrific all around player -- I certainly have been hyping him all year in this respect -- but this is not a player who will ever lead the NHL in a major scoring category. He's just not that type of player. Potentially? Caufield is absolutely this type of player.

Caufield is incredibly elusive and has an elite hockey IQ. His playmaking is near-elite and his shot is potentially top-5 in the entire league. His compete level is off the charts. While Eklund can match Caufield in intangibles, he just lacks the elite physical tools.

Reactions: Mike27Devils

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like we will utilize Mercer as the 3rd line center but he also be can easily move to RW in the top 2 lines. He will likely be extremely effective in both roles so if we had to make room for a stankoven in the top 6 I think they will shift the players around appropriately. I’m actually a big fan of skilled players playing their off wing as well as I think it can really open things up offensively for players

This is an interesting argument. The converse is that many centers prefer to play with a left and right shot, which gives them a greater spectrum of passing opportunities, while many coaches prefer wingers to play on their "true" side for defensive purposes.

Mercer may well wind up as the third-line center, but this is a much easier hole to fill than 1st line RW, where I think Mercer's true destiny lies. He's just a tremendous prospect, and I feel his offensive capabilities have been sorely undersold in the media. This kid has an uncanny ability to turn mucky board battles into primo scoring opportunities. He's smart as a whip and has a silky set of mitts. Dawson Mercer is just a tremendous prospect.

Reactions: nugg

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
I'm not arguing on Eklund -- I'm a huge fan.

But I suggest you watch more Cole Caufield. Caufield is unbelievably creative, and I'd say he's a superior playmaker to Eklund. Caufield just shoots more because his shot is not just elite -- it's potentially a Rocket Richard-winning trait. Eklund is a terrific all around player -- I certainly have been hyping him all year in this respect -- but this is not a player who will ever lead the NHL in a major scoring category. He's just not that type of player. Potentially? Caufield is absolutely this type of player.

Caufield is incredibly elusive and has an elite hockey IQ. His playmaking is near-elite and his shot is potentially top-5 in the entire league. His compete level is off the charts. While Eklund can match Caufield in intangibles, he just lacks the elite physical tools.
I’ve watched plenty of Caulfield, specifically every game in the u18s and all playoff games so far and I’ve also watched a lot of Eklund this year and I’ll say I definitely disagree with the notion that Caulfield is the better playmaker between the two and I actually do believe Eklund has the potential to be top 10 in points in his prime where and I personally don’t think Caulfield has that kind of upside although I do believe he can become a top 10 goal scorer in the league. And trust me I really like Caulfield, I actually thought he played better than Hughes a couple games in the U18s.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
This is an interesting argument. The converse is that many centers prefer to play with a left and right shot, which gives them a greater spectrum of passing opportunities, while many coaches prefer wingers to play on their "true" side for defensive purposes.

Mercer may well wind up as the third-line center, but this is a much easier hole to fill than 1st line RW, where I think Mercer's true destiny lies. He's just a tremendous prospect, and I feel his offensive capabilities have been sorely undersold in the media. This kid has an uncanny ability to turn mucky board battles into primo scoring opportunities. He's smart as a whip and has a silky set of mitts. Dawson Mercer is just a tremendous prospect.
Yup Mercer is great. He’s the complete package, he can do the dirty work for skilled players, plays great defensively, has great scoring and play making abilities that have severely been underrated like you’ve said. But just imagine 3 lines being centered by Hughes, Hischier, and Mercer. That’s insane center depth and that’s what helps you get deep in the playoffs, by running 3 lines that can all score and out skate and grind you down.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
Really hoping Samu Tuomaala falls to us in the second. On the smaller side, but another person for our play making centres to feed.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yup Mercer is great. He’s the complete package, he can do the dirty work for skilled players, plays great defensively, has great scoring and play making abilities that have severely been underrated like you’ve said. But just imagine 3 lines being centered by Hughes, Hischier, and Mercer. That’s insane center depth and that’s what helps you get deep in the playoffs, by running 3 lines that can all score and out skate and grind you down.

I've waffled on this notion. Do you want Mercer on a third line with other grinding guys or do you want him riding shotgun with Jack to supply the jam on that line? I think that Mercer with Shara and Jack might be a very good line. Shara can shoot Jack can set guys up and Mercer can go get the puck and get it to both of those guys and contribute offense himself. That sounds like a well balanced line. If he centers a third line he has to be the in the corners guy and the get back and play defense guy. That's a tall order and maybe limits his offense.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I've waffled on this notion. Do you want Mercer on a third line with other grinding guys or do you want him riding shotgun with Jack to supply the jam on that line? I think that Mercer with Shara and Jack might be a very good line. Shara can shoot Jack can set guys up and Mercer can go get the puck and get it to both of those guys and contribute offense himself. That sounds like a well balanced line. If he centers a third line he has to be the in the corners guy and the get back and play defense guy. That's a tall order and maybe limits his offense.

It depends on if we get a good 3C or not. If we don't then I want Mercer to be Zajac. I was really hoping that the Isles would get bounced in the first 2 rounds and by some miracle Raty would fall to us but that's obviously not happening now

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It depends on if we get a good 3C or not. If we don't then I want Mercer to be Zajac. I was really hoping that the Isles would get bounced in the first 2 rounds and by some miracle Raty would fall to use but that's obviously not happening now

I think Nico should play with Bratt and Zacha. I think they had decent numbers in their short stint together. All three should improve next season if they are healthy and nobody gets to camp late. Jack is the tougher fit. Will Foote and Holtz work with him? Maybe, but both are shooters and will either move their feet well enough to really work well with Jack? Who subordinates their game to be the grinder and corners guy? Foote maybe but that doesn't seem to be his game despite his size. Shara is very mobile and energetic which to me played a role in his chemistry with Hughes. It's tricky and can play out multiple ways. Next season I expect it to be Shara and Kuokk again with Jack unless the team acquires an established scoring veteran. I'd acquire an established top six grinding veteran if possible to upgrade Kuokk and move him down to the third line. I think if Jack and Shara have a better puck getter we can see what Mercer might ultimately do on that line. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
Sharangovich has been playing great at RW and I feel like that's where he may belong as it gives him a little more opportunity to get different shots off from different angles on his off wing and also will get him in position more for the one timer. I feel like we’ll have enough skill on the 3rd line to complement a player like Mercer and we may be better off rolling with 3 really strong lines with Mercers line becoming one of the best lines that you can put against the top line of a team that can shut them down and also contribute a lot offensively. I also really like Mercers shot so yes he may also end up being a fantastic right wing on the top 2 lines. We'll see but I think the devils will use him at both center and wing.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I agree that is indeed insane center depth.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I would not rule out the Devils top line being Hughes centering Sharangovich and Mercer by the end of next season. This is a line which could potentially give opposing defenses fits for several seasons to come.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It depends on if we get a good 3C or not. If we don't then I want Mercer to be Zajac. I was really hoping that the Isles would get bounced in the first 2 rounds and by some miracle Raty would fall to use but that's obviously not happening now

Raty falling is indeed unlikely. Raty could fall to the #20 range, but I agree no way a big center with that kind of skill and skating ability falls another 10 picks to the #30 range.

I'd keep a close eye on Jaromir Pytlik over the next couple of seasons -- right now he's the Devils best in-house option to be a future NHL 3C, and I feel strongly he has been criminally underrated as a prospect thus far.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
By the way folks, I'm almost done writing up my final rankings -- which take me a ridiculous amount of time to complete so I apologize. So, get ready to retire this thread, hopefully by tomorrow. I'm doing a top 90, I figure that's enough, right?

I'll have a final two-round mock draft coming out after that, and then I'm going back into my self-imposed exile of Tinder dates and novel-writing.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
By the way folks, I'm almost done writing up my final rankings -- which take me a ridiculous amount of time to complete so I apologize. So, get ready to retire this thread, hopefully by tomorrow. I'm doing a top 90, I figure that's enough, right?

I'll have a final two-round mock draft coming out after that, and then I'm going back into my self-imposed exile of Tinder dates and novel-writing.
Can't wait. Thanks as always!

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Nothing to apologize for. Looking forward to it as always. :)

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York

Can’t be any worse than most mocks. Most scouts are super negative.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC

I hope its a novel about tinder dates.

Thank you for these rankings and mocks. Love reading them and appreciate all the hard work you put in for it.

imMagnum

Jan 10, 2017
I’d love to hear more about Scott Morrow. 6’2 RD with massive upside, especially offensively. Sounds like the main knock on him is the level of competition he played against. People/scouts said the same thing about Jr. A defensemen like Makar and Fabbro though.

Leaving the first round with Hughes + Morrow sounds extremely appealing. Highly doubt Morrow lasts until our 2nd round pick. What are your takes on Morrow in the 1st?

Edit: To add, his head coach at Shattuck stated that Morrow’s got more talent than Cam York and Jackson Lacombe.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad