Steven Stamkos is truly lucky that he plays for Tampa Bay

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
At a bare minimum, the guy can make our power play better without even taking a shot. Other teams need to account for his shot and it frees up some space for everyone else.

Maybe he doesn't have a huge even strength impact in a tight series, but he chips in here and there and is huge to our power play. Not to mention his leadership. You can tell the whole team really looks up to him.

At this point, I don't really care if he "drives play" in the playoffs. He's still productive, and production is something you need however it comes.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Stamkos and Flower are two of the luckiest players. Maroon also comes to mind.

Hard to disagree about Stamkos and Fleury but I know Maroon could've asked for the same contract he had in St. Louis on the open market but instead and signed for half of it with the Lightning and turned around signing a 2 year extension for the same.

Given how much money this cat has left on the table I'd say he knew exactly what he was doing given he's playing for less than $1 million a year

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I didn’t think he had a particularly strong game yesterday.
He didn’t. He got his goal because Kucherov was force feeding him rather than going for the hatty himself.

He’s still a weapon (or maybe just as importantly, a threat to be a weapon) on that PP, but he’s not a very good player anymore despite what his playoff stats say. Like someone said earlier, where does he even rank in terms of TB players? It’s not very high.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I would be shocked if it's not another injury, now combined with lack of confidence. The way Kucherov kept feeding him the pucks on that PP spoke volumes. They need Stamkos to snap out of it (if he can).
That cross-ice pass was also wide open for the most part until he spammed it, so I wonder if they saw something with the Canadiens PK. Usually teams sell out a bit to get that one shut off.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I would be shocked if it's not another injury, now combined with lack of confidence. The way Kucherov kept feeding him the pucks on that PP spoke volumes. They need Stamkos to snap out of it (if he can).
At this point, Stamkos is just a luxury piece. Kucherov and Point are good enough to lead the rest of the Forward group to a Cup as is. Anything Stamkos adds is gravy.

Reactions: Foppberg

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He’s very Marian Hossa-y to me.
One of the worst comparisons I've seen on here in a while. Hossa was a two-way god and absolute possession monster. He had a huge impact without ever recording a point. Stamkos is more the glide around and do nothing much and then rip a 1 timer and end up with a Goal on the stat sheet. Not even similar players in the slightest.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
At this point, Stamkos is just a luxury piece. Kucherov and Point are good enough to lead the rest of the Forward group to a Cup as is. Anything Stamkos adds is gravy.
Even Gourde is so much more important to that team than Stamkos. Then you add Vasy and Hedman and McDonagh and you’re easily 6 players deep before you can even attempt to argue for him.

Reactions: bl02

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Even Gourde is so much more important to that team than Stamkos. Then you add Vasy and Hedman and McDonagh and you’re easily 6 players deep before you can even attempt to argue for him.
One could argue even Killorn is more important given his overall performance and playoffs record (see his TOI, usage, special teams, physicality, stats, etc).

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
This has aged absolutely awful lol. 18 points in 19 games. 8 goals now.
He has not been good. Numbers don't tell the whole story. On Monday Kuch was going to get Stamkos his goal, or die trying. Good on Stammer for being able to finish, of course. But it was a lopsided game with his teammates just feeding him the pucks.

Tampa will take whatever they can get - leadership, hustle, shot attempts, etc. They don't need Stammer to drive the play to win. But they do need to get rid of Tyler Johnson, whose play is not inspiring any potential suitors, I am sure.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
They don't need Stammer to drive the play to win. But they do need to get rid of Tyler Johnson, whose play is not inspiring any potential suitors, I am sure.
Uh I've been down on TJ all year but he's been magnificent these past couple rounds. Did you miss that breakaway chance last game?

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Uh I've been down on TJ all year but he's been magnificent these past couple rounds. Did you miss that breakaway chance last game?
Yes. I saw a great rush that resulted in nothing because TJ could not lift the puck over Price's pad.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He is lucky but he's still a good piece. Stamkos certainly isn't a Price, Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin level talent who will pull a team to the finals, but he's in the next tier. The team even won a cup without him last year. His numbers go down in the playoffs. I'd certainly take him on the Habs though.

Reactions: Devonator

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Guy is so underrated….

He's turned back the clock so far this year.

Interesting you make this post after he was invisible for most of the game, then scores on a 2 on 1.

Stamkos is elite when you look at his numbers, but he plays like a passenger most shifts

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
He had a great start to his career but fell off after his injuries.

But his numbers aren't as bad as I thought

bov

Nov 13, 2010
He looks good here early. Last season he started out looking amazing, not just getting "lucky". He's a high effort player and stays engaged at both ends of the ice, his biggest downfall tends to be making bad passes and forcing/rushing plays. Outside of the brainfarts, it's pretty remarkable what he has accomplished considering what he has been through. When he's at full confidence and shooting often, still a very high level player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad