Confirmed with Link: Steven Lorentz 2y 2way

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Year 1) Sub-ppg as an overager in the OHL
Year 2) 35 points in 65 games in the ECHL
Year 3) 28 points in 22 games in the ECHL
Year 4) 46 points in 61 games in the AHL

Looks like he has been working his butt off each year to improve his game. Good for him, hopefully he can grow into a solid NHL bottom-6er

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Am I off in thinking I’d much rather have Lorentz on the big club at $700k vs Foegele at $2M or more?
If Foegele was keeping us from adding a legit top 6 forward like Hoffman or Granlund, maybe. Otherwise, Foegele has also been good and improving each year, but you know, in the NHL. I think Foegs had a pretty good year last year and a big improvement on his midseason disappearance of his first full year.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I want the better player. If Lorentz can beat out Foegele, good on him. But if he can't, the difference in salary is not going to get us another player...the roster is full already.
Also a good point. Foegs isn't a guaranteed roster spot by default. He needs to keep improving and keep his versatility. But if a guy like Lorentz can unseat him, or Marty, or Brock, or Geekie, then no harm cashing in on the player he's replacing.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Am I off in thinking I’d much rather have Lorentz on the big club at $700k vs Foegele at $2M or more?

I'd say you are.

Foegele's going to arbitration so I get that subconsciously we're trying to talk up how he's not that good (playing the role of Dundon), but for as many holes as he has in his game he shouldn't be getting compared to an AHL middle 6er that might get an NHL cup of coffee someday.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I want the better player. If Lorentz can beat out Foegele, good on him. But if he can't, the difference in salary is not going to get us another player...the roster is full already.

Agree, you only need so many bottom 6 forwards. I’m just thinking every little bit of space counts under the cap and if Lorentz could score 5g vs Foegele’s 10, would it really we worth an extra $1.3M? Especially considering they just signed Fast...

Reactions: WreckingCrew

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
Lorentz and Foegele are the same player to me. Lorentz is just a later bloomer. They provided the same level of offense in the AHL, they are equal in size, skill and play style. If Lorentz comes into camp wanting it more, there is no reason why he can't jump Foegele in the roster. Rookie year Foegele was a super high effort player, who was everywhere on the ice and drawing all kinds of penalties, even when the offense dried up. I think he may have gotten a little complacent last year, but it would be nice to see that fire again. Personally I hope both Foegele and Lorentz to make the big club and it stays highly competitive for ice time in the bottom-6.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
McGinn from last year, sure, I can get behind that since he was mostly invisible and wasn't physical at all...but Foegele is a proven, legit NHL player who's a good PKer and hounds opponents and the puck. He still flails the puck a lot, but 13G-30PTS in 68 games last yea is pretty respectable. There are other players I'd see go before him

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
McGinn from last year, sure, I can get behind that since he was mostly invisible and wasn't physical at all...but Foegele is a proven, legit NHL player who's a good PKer and hounds opponents and the puck. He still flails the puck a lot, but 13G-30PTS in 68 games last yea is pretty respectable. There are other players I'd see go before him

And that's sans PP time. DeBrusk, a player that some are interested in seeing the team acquire, only put up 25 points at EV, for example.

If Foegele finds consistency, he'll be a very valuable piece in the Top 9 moving forward, even if he maxes out in that 35-40 point range. That combo of size and skill perfectly compliments what they're building up top. Of the complimentary players, he should be one of the last guys to go if they're trying to free up some money.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Lorentz put up 23G, 46P as a 23 year old in the AHL. Foegele put up 28G, 46P (in about 10 more games, but with no PP time) as a 21 year old in the AHL and 13G,30P in 68 games as a 23 year old in the NHL.

I’m happy with Lorentz’s development so far, but I think it’s premature to assume he can supplant Foegele, even if it saves $1m+.

if he beats him, or someone else out, then fine.

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Lorentz put up 23G, 46P as a 23 year old in the AHL. Foegele put up 28G, 46P (in about 10 more games, but with no PP time) as a 21 year old in the AHL and 13G,30P in 68 games as a 23 year old in the NHL.

I’m happy with Lorentz’s development so far, but I think it’s premature to assume he can supplant Foegele, even if it saves $1m+.

if he beats him, or someone else out, then fine.

Yeah but based on his growth curve he's basically a 20/20 NHL player already :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00