NFL: Steve Wilks fired by Cardinals

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
no coach would have had a chance with that team

wilks was doomed from the start

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I just think in today's game, if you are using a #1 pick on a QB, you need to hire an offensive minded coach to put him in a position to succeed.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I just think in today's game, if you are using a #1 pick on a QB, you need to hire an offensive minded coach to put him in a position to succeed.

I don't think that's true. Let's be honest, Rosen was absolutely the worst rookie QB this year. He was also in a terrible situation because Wilks lacked the connections to build a competent offensive staff and Keim whiffed on draft picks. I think Josh Rosen can be good but it's obvious he needs to work harder on his game in the off-season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't think that's true. Let's be honest, Rosen was absolutely the worst rookie QB this year. He was also in a terrible situation because Wilks lacked the connections to build a competent offensive staff and Keim whiffed on draft picks. I think Josh Rosen can be good but it's obvious he needs to work harder on his game in the off-season.

If that is true then it justifies the Cards moving on after only 1 year here

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That wasn't unfair. Jimmy T was lucky that team pulled off 5 wins.
They won 5 because he was as risk averse as they get.

It felt like they did that as a favor to Tomsula for all his years as an assistant. Gave him a year of hc for the pay of 3.

It was actually Chip Kelly that inherited a worse roster.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

I just think it's the smart way to go. Look at Goff and Trubisky. They looked really really bad with dinosaur coaches and then pretty good with good offensive minds. Obviously, there's some development and growth from year 1 for the QBs themselves, but the coaching and can scheme makes a huge difference. That's not to say a young QB can't win or succeed with a defensive coach, but in today's NFL, if I'm drafting a "franchise QB", I'm going to make sure I have an offensive minded head coach who can try to maximize his talent.

That said, I realize that Nagy and McVeigh don't just grow on trees.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Should have fired Keim too and then stepped down. Organization has zero credibility now. Absolutely deserves to be fired for his poor decision making the past 4 years yet he gets to stay and the coach thrown under the bus. Who would want to be coach for this team?

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad