Confirmed with Link: Steve Staios leaving leafs to join Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL)

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Mix feeling here. The Belleville Bulls/Hamilton Bulldogs fan is me is happy. As a Leafs fan it's too bad he's leaving.

Oh, and there is zero affiliation with the Habs as stated in a couple other posts. The only thing that remains the same for the Bulldogs is the team name. The team is now in the OHL and they have a different roster as the Belleville Bulls were moved there.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to CBC News, Toronto Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan had some encouraging words for Steve Staios when he heard about the offer he had from Hamilton Bulldogs owner Michael Andlauer to become the team's next president.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...-is-new-hamilton-bulldogs-president-1.3101699

Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan had some encouraging words for Steve Staios when he heard about the offer he had from Hamilton Bulldogs owner Michael Andlauer to become the team's next president.

"He had some pretty funny comments. But basically he told me I'd be an idiot if I didn't take this chance," Staios said as he was introduced as the team's president Friday morning.

Staios is a Hamilton native, journeyman defenceman and sometimes winger who logged 1,0001 games in the NHL and made it to within one game of the Stanley Cup with the Edmonton Oilers.

In doing so, he left the Toronto Maple Leafs organization where he spent the last three seasons as a player development advisor. In January, he was brought down to the bench where he served as an assistant coach in a disastrous second half of the season for the Leafs.

Staios thanked the Leafs for giving him a chance immediately after he hung up the skates after 18 seasons in the NHL.

"I had a good relationship with Brendan Shanahan, (director of player personnel) Mark Hunter and (assistant general manager) Kyle Dubas and the development model was really starting to take shape, so I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish," Staios said. "We have some structure there we feel like it's a seamless transition now, me moving out and Scott Pellerin who was my assistant manager he's going to move into my spot."

"It would have been an interesting run in Toronto for the next three to five years with development probably being at the top of the list with that group, with the rebuild in the future … But this is as good of a situation for me to be in."

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Good article about this:

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/...o-be-president-of-the-ohls-hamilton-bulldogs/

"Unquestionably, for a team that simply hasn’t produced enough homegrown, young, impact NHL talent in the last decade, an improved development process will be a major part of the rebuild and has to work hand in hand with the Leafs’ major investments in improving their performance at the draft table. The Maple Leafs are betting on a different way of thinking and different processes with Pellerin, Bettle and Belfry, and looking for better results than what they experienced with Jim Hughes, Anthony Belza and company"

Good to have Pellerin on board but I'm like a broken record about Darryl Belfry on here - I know him from the Niagara area where he's trained Patrick Kane, Johnny Tavares and a bunch of other NHLer's looking for an edge. Darryl Belfry will work wonders with our prospects. I see a guy like Fred Gauthier growing offensively in the coming couple of years under his tutelage - all good.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Good to have Pellerin on board but I'm like a broken record about Darryl Belfry on here - I know him from the Niagara area where he's trained Patrick Kane, Johnny Tavares and a bunch of other NHLer's looking for an edge. Darryl Belfry will work wonders with our prospects. I see a guy like Fred Gauthier growing offensively in the coming couple of years under his tutelage - all good.

Good stuff. Didn't know much if anything about Darryl Belfry before, so good to get more insight about him.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Again, Bulldogs are no longer affiliated with Montreal. The OHL's Belleville Bulls were moved to Hamilton and will keep the Bulldogs name. Montreal's new AHL affiliate will be the St.John's Ice Caps.

*sigh* its this.

The IceCaps name is owned by the City of St.John's and /or MileOne arena. Whoever
plays there will be named the IceCaps. The current players for the previous IceCaps are moving to Winnipeg to become the new Manitoba Moose. The former Bulldogs (AHL), will be the new IceCaps for 2 seasons, when they will move to Laval, QC.

The Owner owns the Bulldogs name, and wants to keep it in Hamilton. The Bulls were sold to him and moved to Hamilton, and named changed to Bulldogs.

NHL:
The IceCaps are now the Moose
The Bulldogs are now the IceCaps

OHL:
The Belleville Bulls are now the Hamilton Bulldogs.

..a bit confusing, due to ownership of names, opposite of the NBA.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
OTOH its just another member (brought in by Burke and kept with Nonis) who is leaving and we're bringing in new ideas and approaches.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Scott Pellerin should be a good director of player development. He was instrumental in the L.A. development process. Should be interesting how he does with the goalies since they have been so good at developing over the years... Funny enough, as soon as he left, their goalies have started to go down hill (Berube and Bartosak are not very good; Jones was his last protege, and even he isn't that great).

I wonder what spot is filled next? Director of pro scouting maybe?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad