News Article: Steve Mason's Resurgence

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Another article I wrote. Looks a bit at Flyers goalie history then at Mason since joining the Flyers.

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/03/graveyard-no-longer-steve-masons-resurgence-flyer/

Hope you all enjoy it.

Nice article.

"Outside of those two the Flyers situation in net between 1996 and April 2013 had been nightmarish, with no other goaltenders playing at more than backup level for more than a stretch of games at a time."

Was Bob really that bad here? On my phone so I can't really look up numbers, but I think you could say he played higher than a backup level.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Was Bob really that bad here? On my phone so I can't really look up numbers, but I think you could say he played higher than a backup level.

0.915, 2.59 GAA in 54 games in 10/11 and 0.899 with a 3.02 GAA in 29 games the season after. 0.909 average over the two regular seasons.

0.915 is lower end number/below average for a starting goalie - I think 0.920 is close to the average for #1 goalies. 0.899 would be around lower end backup numbers if I remember correctly.

Edit: Oh , and nice read Appleyard.

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
0.915, 2.59 GAA in 54 games in 10/11 and 0.899 with a 3.02 GAA in 29 games the season after. 0.909 average over the two regular seasons.

0.915 is lower end number/below average for a starting goalie - I think 0.920 is close to the average for #1 goalies. 0.899 would be around lower end backup numbers if I remember correctly.

Edit: Oh , and nice read Appleyard.

The only difference is though, Bobs numbers for a rookie goalie (at 21-22) were extremely good. Yea he fell apart abit his sophmore year (slumps are usual) but Lavy didnt do him and service playing goalie roulette even when they played well.

On Mason I wish someone could bump the signing thread. I said he would be a great add if he got his head on right. I watch a decent amount of Jackets games and saw the potenial behind an average defense. He was still young and needed work on a few things.

Goes to show that it really worked for him. Still remember some people calling me crazy on here for trading for him.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
^

Steve Mason acquisition thread.

I clearly didn't like it at the time (did not think he would get over the mental hurdles he couldn't get over in Columbus).

Edit: looking through that thread, I forgot that Mason re-upped for less than his potential QO. Hindsight makes it seem like an obvious trade now, honestly (Mason basically got a 10 game tryout), but I'm still kind of shocked that the Flyers traded for him when they probably could have picked him up for free in July (Columbus would not have qualified him after Bobrovsky's season).

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The only difference is though, Bobs numbers for a rookie goalie (at 21-22) were extremely good. Yea he fell apart abit his sophmore year (slumps are usual) but Lavy didnt do him and service playing goalie roulette even when they played well.

On Mason I wish someone could bump the signing thread. I said he would be a great add if he got his head on right. I watch a decent amount of Jackets games and saw the potenial behind an average defense. He was still young and needed work on a few things.

Goes to show that it really worked for him. Still remember some people calling me crazy on here for trading for him.

I'll stand here in line and say that I hope you don't bump that thread. :laugh:

It would be just like the Flyers to have a goalie resurrect his career and emerge as a top-level goaltender only for the team itself to go into the tank.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He had produced replacement-level goaltending to that point, and it was likely that Columbus wasn't going to so much a give him a qualifying offer. Regardless, the end has justified the means to date.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I'm ok with that deal, he could potentially turn it around. Most goalies don't even start in net until after they are 25. They are supposed to take a long time to develop maybe he turns out well for us.

Ben Bishop has 36 Career starts 15 wins 13 Losses 3 OTL. 26 years old will be 27 November of next season Career .911 Save Percentage

Steve Mason has 232 Career starts a Calder trophy, 96 Wins 99 Losses 27 OTL Career .903 Save percentage will be 25 in a month.

1 has played for winning organizations his whole career, the other has played for by all accounts the 2nd worst organization in the league.

One got Cory Conacher and a 4th the other cost a 3rd round pick and they took a cap dump

If Mason is on a reasonable deal for what he has shown since hes been in the NHL I will take him over Bryz at 5,6 for the next 8 years

I like the deal, and if he's our starter next year then so be it. Bryz's money can be better spent someplace else.

Pekka Rinne was 26 his rookie year, Vokoun was 24 when he finally stopped bouncing back and forth between the IHL and NHL, Luongo 25, Belfour 25. Most goalies are in that age range when they finally become competent starters, Lundqvist 24, hell Hasek is considered one of the best ever, and didn't even have 10 wins before his 27th birthday

The voice of reason :D

Also lol at Randy Miller, Jackass. "I'd offer a 2nd and Couturier for Bishop." Pejorative Slur.

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I'll stand here in line and say that I hope you don't bump that thread. :laugh:

It would be just like the Flyers to have a goalie resurrect his career and emerge as a top-level goaltender only for the team itself to go into the tank.

You guys had to know I would quote myself after finding it ;)

Im going to bring some sanity to this thread before some people blow a socket. I am guessing I have seen more BJ games then most on this Flyers board (their my 2nd team). Been watching them since 2006 so kinda new but I have a decent idea of Mason.

I want to say one thing first. I DO NOT think this is a bad deal. Realistically, we can only hope a 3rd round pick could turn into Mason (currently a backup goalie).

Now who is Steve Mason. While those who look at stats see an average goalie, Mason DOES have the talent to be a decent starter in the NHL. I have watched him play the past few years, and his main problem is consistency. There are times where he could play LIGHTS OUT 95% of the game, but let in 1 or 2 soft goals and they lose. He is extremely inconsistent. That being said, he is still young as an NHL goalie (24 turning 25). He has the talent to turn in around. He really does. It is funny what a trade for a goaltender could do to them. Sometimes a great goalie becomes average, while an average goalie becomes great. There are MANY cases around the league that happen like this. Mason's main problem as a goalie was that he would FLY around the crease, getting out of position a lot. Supposedly he worked on it this past summer but this opened up new holes in his game. I guess its time to see from out point of view what he can now do.

I don't think this is a bad gamble. My guess is that they look to play Mason a decent amount during the stretch and based off his play will maybe decide to amnesty Bryz. While this might sound crazy, I can see Homer and the gang do this. Mason has a lot of work to do, but the kid has the talent to be good. He just has to screw his head on straight first.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That thread is too funny. Especially that guy trying to pick a fight with me for suggesting Mase might sign for standard backup money of around $1.5 million.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Jackets fan here, in peace. Good read, and I'm happy for Mase. Hope he continues to perform for you guys

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Good article. Very well written, and I loved the last bit where you bring up the comparison of his resurgence and the idea of the "undead" on his mask. Good stuff. Liked it a lot

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Great article overall but there have been other goalies who have had individual seasons that were good enough for the Flyers to win it all. Most notibable exceptions being Brian Boucher in 2000 and Robert Esche in 2004. Otherwise, fantastic read.

martz11

Mar 5, 2013
PA
Since the Jersey game he's been lights out. .947 save percentage. 2 wins though. This team owes him a big apology at the end of the season.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
that Mason thread.
******* it is full of gold. how many folks had to pull their foot out of their mouth :laugh:

just goes to show you what a change of scenery can do for a player. i wasnt thrilled when we traded for him, but i also wasnt acting like it was a foregone conclusion he would continue to suck. anyone who has a rookie season as good as him definitely has the talent and ability to rebound. but hey, when you keep your head buried in stat sheets, graphs and charts :cough: Broad Street Hockey :cough: you'll miss that kind of thing.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Apart from contributing my usual elementary-school level of humour, I was a cautious skeptic of Mason. I am so glad to have been wrong about him. He has rapidly become one of the cornerstones of the current line-up and an essential player in this team getting back to respectability and post-season play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad