Speculation: Steve Mason

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I've always had a liking for Mason and I wish there was a way the Flyers and him could make things work. He's certainly more reliable than Neuvirth and his career really rebounded there when nobody else wanted him. It's too bad that he and Hakstol just couldn't make things work with their personalities.
Actually I heard he was poison in the locker room. He threw his defence players under the bus. He also told Ron Hextall off in the exit interview after the 2016-17 season. I was thrilled to see him leave, even though the Flyers are still in the same goaltending trouble. They don't need a guy like him around.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Those concussions really came out of nowhere, he never had to deal with that stuff during his tenure with the Flyers.
His knees are more of an issue but he still managed to play up to 60 games a year.

The problem with him is definitely the ego of a starting goaltender who just found out that he likely won't get another chance to be the guy.

KarelPilar

Jul 23, 2018
Nova Scotia
Actually I heard he was poison in the locker room. He threw his defence players under the bus. He also told Ron Hextall off in the exit interview after the 2016-17 season. I was thrilled to see him leave, even though the Flyers are still in the same goaltending trouble. They don't need a guy like him around.

As someone who's been a goaltender for 17 years I can say for sure he has a boat load of upside.... I figure there's likely some truth to the character issues

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Either he takes a cheap contract or is invited to a tryout. Think he'd be a good as a backup for Columbus, would be nice if he and Nash went to end it where it began.

would columbus be ok with waiving korpisalo or carrying 3 goalies all year?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Which teams need backups? Washington? Calgary? NYR?

washington has samsonov. the flames only have rittich but i doubt they go for another struggling former starter after the lack fiasco. the rangers seem like a good fit to me. let gorgiev develop a bit in the minors, trade mason at the deadline if he plays well for an asset or 2

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Why exactly was he dealt since the jets have cap space and no legit backup ?

I know they wanted Stastny but didn’t get him

Armia lost for saving a few real dollars ?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

I don't blame him for what he said when he left. The defense in front of him was garbage. He had every right to tell Hextall off, and this is coming from a Flyers fan

Reactions: Larry44

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Steve Mason is far from a cancer in the locker room. The whole thing was blown out of proportion, at least as far as his time with the Flyers is concerned.

He likes being treated as the designated starter (obviously won't happen again anytime soon).
He doesn't like being rushed back from injury. (no goalie likes that and even his goaltenting Coach stepped in to defend him before he got fired by Flyers management)
He wants his defenders to clear the crease and either block a shot or get the f*** out of his way. (and he waited for like 5 years until cautiously critiziting the D in Philly)

Last edited:

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Why exactly was he dealt since the jets have cap space and no legit backup ?

I know they wanted Stastny but didn’t get him

Armia lost for saving a few real dollars ?

Because we still have loads of RFAs to sign and bonuses to factor in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad