Speculation: Steve Mason

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kari Lehtonen is still out there as well. Coming off a better year than Mason too. Neither guy is going to be the answer to anyone's goaltending issues, but it does seem like they should at least be good enough to land a backup gig somewhere.

Have to think at this point though, maybe they're content just waiting until we get toward camp where there might be an injury that pops up and creates an opportunity. Or just a team that goes into camp intending to let their own younger guy take the job, realizes they're not quite ready or not gonna cut it and decides to bring in a proven (albeit disappointing) vet.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Either he takes a cheap contract or is invited to a tryout. Think he'd be a good as a backup for Columbus, would be nice if he and Nash went to end it where it began.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
His agent should have gotten on the phone the first chance they had with Lou Lamerillo, Lehner's agent seem to take whatever Lou was throwing out realizing how bad the market is.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Maybe he's gonna gamble and wait for the season and a starter to be injured rather than take a back-up spot? There's no way he's outside the best 60 goalies in the league, even if he had a down year.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Mason is an excellent goalie but he has had a few concussions. He also had his knee scoped last year. It seemed every time he got on the ice, he was getting injured...

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I've always had a liking for Mason and I wish there was a way the Flyers and him could make things work. He's certainly more reliable than Neuvirth and his career really rebounded there when nobody else wanted him. It's too bad that he and Hakstol just couldn't make things work with their personalities.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'd love it if he had to eat a cheap contract to play for the Flyers again. I was his biggest fan (although his last season was baddddddd) since he was our best goalie we've had in probably 2 decades.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Can see him going to us (Rangers) on a 1 year deal to have Georgiev start in Hartford. I’d prefer to have him up in the NHL but Hartford looks to finally be decent next year and I wouldn’t mind Georgiev getting a ton of starts down there. We have tons of cap space anyway

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Mason was hurt no? Can’t buyout an injured guy but still

He knows he’s getting paid regardless so he can wait out an injury even

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad