Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
In that link above of all of Eklund's rumors, I have seen:

- Rangers in on Luke Schenn
- Brayden Schenn for Shattenkirk
- Simmonds + Schenn for Hemsky

Not to mention he spent the last three years before Big Buff signed his extension saying the Flyers were close to acquiring him.

His track record with the Flyers is just as bad as all the other teams these days.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Don't see it happening and all of the offers in this thread so far aren't even enough to have Hextall pick up the phone.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Would be a good pickup by the Kings, however the question is, as always, what are the Kings willing to part with that the Flyers wold be interested in?

Kings fans, who is available, who is not, what prospects are untouchable, etc?

What about Dwight King and someone like Kempe?

kempe is untouchable imo

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Do the Flyers have an NHL ready goalie ready to step up as the backup/#2?

If they don't, I'm guessing Mason would cost more than most Kings fans would expect. It would be foolish for the Flyers to trade Mason for anything short of a good return because if there are injuries, they put themselves in the exact position the Kings are in.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
This early into the season, no way.
One of Mason, Neuivrth will be the starter in 2017-2018.
we don't know who and even if we knew we should keep one of them to leverage a good contract.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

If they don't, I'm guessing Mason would cost more than most Kings fans would expect. It would be foolish for the Flyers to trade Mason for anything short of a good return because if there are injuries, they put themselves in the exact position the Kings are in.

They don't. Anthony Stolarz &/or Alex Lyon aren't quite ready to handle the required work load to play behind Neuvirth right now. At this point there's no evidence to suggest that Neuvirth could play 60+ games. So it's not even a situation where you just need a normal capable backup to play 20-25 games for you. You need a 1B type of backup to play behind Neuvirth.

So it's not even a situation where you're really running the risk of hurting you seasons outcome but you're also running the risk of throwing a prospect into a really unfavorable situation.

Last edited:

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I will give Eklund one thing, he seems a little bit closer to reality on Flyer related news than any other. The teams have trade history and DL groomed Hextall. Unfortunately I cringe as an LA fan as I think the student is about to surpass his Master. I have a lot of respect for Hextall and still wish he was in LA.

Losing Hextall was a big blow to the front office for the Kings. Just look at the deals that were made after he left, abysmal...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
In that link above of all of Eklund's rumors, I have seen:

- Rangers in on Luke Schenn
- Brayden Schenn for Shattenkirk
- Simmonds + Schenn for Hemsky

He also said we would trade Sanheim for Yakupov at the draft.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Well done. You are spot on.

Mason is a top 10 starter, Neuvirth a top 3 backup. Having a good goalie we can put in every night is a luxury that we learned from after having Emery as our backup. Philly will be keeping both guys. As you said, trade 1, then 1 gets hurt, and we are in the same situation as the Kings. Even worse really because we have no vet goalie to step in.

The first shoe to drop for Philly would be if we saw a goalie signed. Philly is not trading one, only to have the other become a UFA and have all the leverage in negotiations. So until either is signed, neither is being moved.

Philly is quite happy with their good, cheap goaltending they have. And yes, we may lose 1 to FA if neither is moved before the deadline. Who cares. We added Neuvirth for free. We got Masin for a 3rd.

I fully expect Hextall will allow some of the season to play out and see if one severly outplays the other. Both have had great years with us. Then he will sign one, and I believe we will lose the other to FA unless Stolarz or Lyon show they are NHL ready be the deadline.

Eklund has no inside info in Philly anymore. That changed when Hextall took over.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I'd rather swap Neuvirth if we're definitely going to trade a goalie.

Neuvirth has only proven to be a great 1B under a ~30 game load, whereas Mason has a solid 3 year track record with 50+ starts. Personally I'd rather we just keep them both and enjoy the luxury of two strong options.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
The Kings would be better off just riding out their goal tending situation until Quick returns from injury, if Quick doesn't return this season, then the Kings could sign a UFA goalie like Karri Ramo or Andres Lindback to a cheap 1 year deal, another possibility would be to talk with Winnipeg's GM to see if LA and Winnipeg can make a deal for Ondrej Pavelec.

Pavelec would be a decent option for the kings if Winnipeg would retain a little bit of Pavelec's contract, say less then 25%

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
More than a 2nd, less than a 1st, is my estimation.

I don't know what prospects LA have that are actually available for a goalie rental.

with the expansion draft coming up? nah, Reimer got a conditional 3rd.
Mason gets a conditional 2nd at best

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Mason is also a much better goalie than James Reimer.

Much? 2.69/.911 for his career while Reimer is 2.78/.914
Reimer was traded for a conditional 4th with a longshot condition..(cup finals)

to be angling for an early 2nd or 2nd rd + is off

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

Since joining Philadelphia, Mason has posted a .921 over 174 games and has had three straight seasons with 50+ starts.

This is why you shouldn't rely on career stats to compare the quality of players in the present.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Mason is at .921 since joining the Flyers 3 1/2 years ago.

3 years in a row he has played 50+ games and posted a .917+ sv% each year... with the Flyers D in-front of him.

His 5v5 sv% in that time is 2nd in the NHL to Carey Price.
His overall sv% in that time is 11th in the NHL... equal with Lundqvist.

Remier has a .914 sv% over that time... and has not played more than 40 games in any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad