Confirmed with Link: Steve Konowalchuk named Associate Head Coach for AHL Colorado Eagles

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
fe9c74b4-0c91-43b5-bc17-cfd8db2ab46e_text.gif

Heyduke

Oct 31, 2019
Great to see Kono back in the organization.

Though, it is funny how "head coach" is now in the title of assistant coaches, and assistant is now "associate". Unless there is some actual difference in the role?

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Happy to have Kono back! Weird title. Does this mean they don’t have full faith in Schneekloth? Kono’s systems remind me a bit of Hakstol or at least what he ran for the T-Birds. Not sure about his stint in Red Deer and how he did there.

Such a great forechecker when he played!

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Out of curiosity...does anyone remember how Steve did when he was an assistant coach for us back in the Sacco days? I think I've finally managed to block the vast majority of that time period from my consciousness.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Out of curiosity...does anyone remember how Steve did when he was an assistant coach for us back in the Sacco days? I think I've finally managed to block the vast majority of that time period from my consciousness.

Nobody thrived under Sacco.

The improvement from 08-09 to 09-10 was vast. The tumble in the last half of 10-11 was also historic (Anderson's hissy fit seemed to fracture things). Kono's work during that tenure should be looked at favorably though. Went from bottom 5 scoring team and PP to a top half in both. Players like Stewy, Wolski, Galiardi, and Jones all took major steps forward (to regress after he/they left). ROR and Duchene stepped in as 18 year olds and worked under his coaching.

I'm not gonna say Kono is a perfect coach... but his small tenure with the Avs was positive until the wheels fell off in Dec 2010. Where nothing went right after that. His work in Seattle and Red Deer speaks for itself though... he revitalized one organization to the heights of a championship. Then another that had failed miserably for two years to being a top 5 club in the Dub.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I mostly just remember him looking like a secret service agent, with his suit, short cropped hair and goatee combo, talking into his sleeve and coily earpiece all the time.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
What an awesome addition.

Great teacher/mentor, was already like that as a player.

Any young player should try and be a sponge around Kono; soak up every bit of what makes a professional athlete and how you approach your opportunities each and every day.

Big thumbs up from me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad