Steve Downie not at Prospect's game??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
You got me beat, he definitely should have been there.

Central scouting has him ranked 74th amongst NA skaters, I think they're underating him.

Good skater, very hard hitting and in your face defensive checker. His offensive game has exceeded all expectations this year, he really generates offense with his forecheck and boards skills, Downie also has a quick release on his shot. Future pest (to say the least), who's offensive upside is growing.

I watched him enrage Mike Richards to the point that Richards actually went into the Spitfires penalty box to try and get at Downie (Richards was then suspended). The next game Windsor played against Kitchener he drew a headbutting penalty against Valabik. Aside from driving opposition players nuts, he's just a non stop sparkplug on the ice and doesn't take a shift off.

You could tell from his play last year (as a rookie) that Downie was going to be quite the player, I personnally thought he was the 2nd best forward for the Spits in their playoff series against London. With 47 points in 43 games this season, his offensive game has come along much quicker than most thought it would.

Last edited:

KingofSpain

Mar 5, 2002
Windsor, ON
Visit site
Downie definitely deserves more respect than he's getting. He might have been passed over for the Prospects Game because of his high penalty minutes, or possibly his small size. But I for one would want him on my team any day of the week. He gives it his all every game, plays much bigger than his size and has a good offensive game. If he gets picked in the 3rd or later, he'll be a steal. I hope Calgary picks him to make up for taking Donally 2 years back.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Ice Demon said:
Downie definitely deserves more respect than he's getting. He might have been passed over for the Prospects Game because of his high penalty minutes, or possibly his small size. But I for one would want him on my team any day of the week. He gives it his all every game, plays much bigger than his size and has a good offensive game. If he gets picked in the 3rd or later, he'll be a steal. I hope Calgary picks him to make up for taking Donally 2 years back.

Isn't he listed at 5'10? That would be around the same size as Brule, Rabbit, McArdle, etc. He seems like an interesting prospect. Stats wise he had a decent U17 tourney with the gold medal winning Ontario team last year with 3g and 3a in 6 games.

Dizzy

May 24, 2003
Windsor, ON
Visit site
I am maybe a little biased but I'm surprised Steve isn't ranked higher. One thing though that might have affected his ranking is his attitude. I don't know exactly what the problem is but I heard rumors last year that he wasn't well liked by his teammates on the Ontario under-17 team and now I'm hearing the same thing with the Spitfires. He's a fiesty player who shows a lot of passion on the ice and has also contributed offensively this season, he's popular with the fans at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad