Stephen Weiss

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Hey panthers fans, long time and die hard wings fan here coming to ask a question that we just cant seem to figure out. " What is with Stephan Weiss?"

So i guess I am here looking for an answer from some of you that have been long term Panthers fans.

As you all know Stephan Weiss signed with the Redwings in the summer of 2013. We expected to be getting a 2nd line center that drives the net and can put up some points. In the early 2000s The guy was picked 4th overall? Anyways its been a couple years now and I am not quite sure what to expect out of Weiss. He has zero confidence with the puck and hesitates so long he looses it or makes a stupid play. It seems like for Weiss the speed of the game is to fast for him. He is 3 steps back always. As for the positive? he has decent hockey skill in terms of passing and finding the back of the net. (Unlike 4th liners..) I went back and watched endless plays of Weiss throughout his time with the panthers and he looked like a completely different player. He was confident with the puck, he made smart passes, he was a leader on your team and he was someone who the panthers would choose for an on ice penalty shot or for the shootout. Now the way I see it Weiss is simply a dime a dozen third line winger with ZERO confidence that can create some offense. Problem being he is making 5 million dollars this year....

So i come to ask if you guys can give me any information on this guy? It would be greatly appreciated. Also for those who watch the game tonight can you watch Weiss extra close and give input on what you think?

Thanks.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Money-Bags.jpg

Joking aside, that wrist injury and the subsequent surgery probably has something to do with it.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Yea, I also think the injuries have hurt his game quite a bit.

Sucks for the Wings to be on the hook for his contract for the next handful of years.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Ya I would chalk it up to injuries as well. Especially that wrist injury, he never looked the same near the end of his time here.

Just glad we aren't stuck with that contract because we got #character

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
The simple answer is:
-Terrible wrists
-Lingering groin injury that never left
-Never was that good to begin with

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Injuries for sure.

Confidence is a funny thing. Going from 'the man' on Florida to a support role in Detriot can be a hard transition. That with some declining physical abilities can really mess with a players head.

For the most part NHL players were always the best of the best in junior leagues. For me, as a good house league player but not a superstar like most guys who make the NHL, every time I went up an age group it was hard and I had to make changes and work at it. I've always wondered if that's what messes with some guys careers, be it out of the draft or, like Weiss, mid-career.

Shea Webber has some interesting views on self-confidence that are similar. He works with a charity in that area I belive.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
He played through a lot of injuries down here. Not giving the body proper time to heal and recover has long term effects.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
As a die hard Stephen Weiss fan, it's tough to see him struggle. But here's the real stats.

Most goals in a season: 28 (09-10)
Most points in a season 61 (08-09)*see below
20+goal seasons: 3
50+point seasons: 3

*60 points in 09-10

Over the past 3 seasons, Stephen Weiss has only played 67 games out of a possible 212 games. That's a little less than his average playing games in a season. Injuries have been a huge hit for him. He was consistent as a Panther but really only had a couple "break out" seasons.

Therefore in the last 3 seasons he has 8 G, 14 A, 22 points. When you look at 22 points over 67 games, it doesn't appear as bad. Though it's still lacking by a large margin. Injuries play a huge role. But also remember he's only had 3 of 50+ point seasons. He's still projected to get 17 more points this season. That would give him around 31 points playing in maximum 59 games. Enough math, hope he turns it around and plays better!

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Hey panthers fans, long time and die hard wings fan here coming to ask a question that we just cant seem to figure out. " What is with Stephan Weiss?"

So i guess I am here looking for an answer from some of you that have been long term Panthers fans.

As you all know Stephan Weiss signed with the Redwings in the summer of 2013. We expected to be getting a 2nd line center that drives the net and can put up some points. In the early 2000s The guy was picked 4th overall? Anyways its been a couple years now and I am not quite sure what to expect out of Weiss. He has zero confidence with the puck and hesitates so long he looses it or makes a stupid play. It seems like for Weiss the speed of the game is to fast for him. He is 3 steps back always. As for the positive? he has decent hockey skill in terms of passing and finding the back of the net. (Unlike 4th liners..) I went back and watched endless plays of Weiss throughout his time with the panthers and he looked like a completely different player. He was confident with the puck, he made smart passes, he was a leader on your team and he was someone who the panthers would choose for an on ice penalty shot or for the shootout. Now the way I see it Weiss is simply a dime a dozen third line winger with ZERO confidence that can create some offense. Problem being he is making 5 million dollars this year....

So i come to ask if you guys can give me any information on this guy? It would be greatly appreciated. Also for those who watch the game tonight can you watch Weiss extra close and give input on what you think?

Thanks.

Well played sir. Well played.

-ghoste

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Injuries for sure.

Confidence is a funny thing. Going from 'the man' on Florida to a support role in Detriot can be a hard transition. That with some declining physical abilities can really mess with a players head.

For the most part NHL players were always the best of the best in junior leagues. For me, as a good house league player but not a superstar like most guys who make the NHL, every time I went up an age group it was hard and I had to make changes and work at it. I've always wondered if that's what messes with some guys careers, be it out of the draft or, like Weiss, mid-career.

Shea Webber has some interesting views on self-confidence that are similar. He works with a charity in that area I belive.

Great post here. Really tells the whole Weiss story in a nutshell.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Years of playing through injuries (usually with no payoff either !) have appeared to catch up with him I guess.

But I think I read he's still getting a lot of PP time and PP points so he must still have some skills. I'm hoping he's able to bounce back. If we don't make the playoffs I'll be cheering for Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad