Stephen Weiss

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So do we keep being patient.... or panic?

The guy has been pretty brutal so far this year, given what people were expecting from him this summer when he was signed.

What do we do if he doesn't turn things around?

Last edited by a moderator:

source

Jul 13, 2008
Some say that Weiss is doing the little things right, and that it's only a matter of time before the points will start coming in.

I don't see it.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Once Datsyuk comes back, Weiss should be paired with him.

Bert-Datsyuk-Weiss
Tatar-Datsyuk-Weiss
Alfie-Datsyuk-Weiss

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
hope that he turns it around, give him some talent and/or put him to a wing for a while. almost zero chance he is bought out after this season. but if he sucks in 14-15, i think buyout should be strong consideration and would probably do it.

why are almost everyone of kenny's ufa signings buyout candidates, sooner or later, unless they are hall of famers?

Some say that Weiss is doing the little things right, and that it's only a matter of time before the points will start coming in.

I don't see it.

same here but i remain cautiously optimistic. somewhat.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Once Datsyuk comes back, Weiss should be paired with him.

Bert-Datsyuk-Weiss
Tatar-Datsyuk-Weiss
Alfie-Datsyuk-Weiss

The reason he was signed was to anchor our second line so D and Z could finally be paired together. Or are you hoping this boost his confidence so he could take the second line center spot after a few games with D?

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
So do we keep being patient.... or panic?

The guy has been pretty brutal so far this year, given what people were expecting from him this summer when he was signed.

What do we do if he doesn't turn things around?

He's playing with Cleary and Sammy, the black holes in offensive zone plays. Cut him some slack.

I want to judge him when he plays consistently with proper line-mates and gets PP minutes.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
You have to leave them separate at this point I think. Weiss has stunk, period. Doesn't help playing with DFC and Sammy. Getting Franzen going is HUGE, and you can't put that on the line because he is a machine right now.

Mule-Z-Nyquist
Weiss-Pavel-Bert/Tatar
Abby-Helm-Alfie
Miller-Andy-Bert/Tatar/Cleary

3 SOLID lines, and clearly the first and third there have shown chemistry, and Pavel is Pavel.

If you heaven forbid do want them together...

Z-Pav-Bert/Tatar/Alfie
Mule-Weiss-Gus
Abby-Helm-Bert/Tatar/Alfie
Miller-Andy-Whoever isn't used in the top 9

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
The reason he was signed was to anchor our second line so D and Z could finally be paired together. Or are you hoping this boost his confidence so he could take the second line center spot after a few games with D?

I said this on other thread as well.
While above is true. Since our lines are playing well already, I would not break them up.

Current Lines
Nyquist - Z - Franzen
Abs - Helm - Alfie
Tatar - Andersson - Miller
Cleary - Weiss - Sammy

I would keep the 3 lines as is
than switch the last line to
Weiss - Datsyuk - Bert
Than we got 4 good lines.

While I didn't mind the Weiss deal. I always thought that we needed a sniper type of player more than a play making center. I like Z and D centering own lines. I know they are really good together, but they are world class two way centers that makes other players better.

I would give Weiss a pass on this year. If he doesn't pick it up next year as well, I would be worried.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
hope that he turns it around, give him some talent and/or put him to a wing for a while. almost zero chance he is bought out after this season. but if he sucks in 14-15, i think buyout should be strong consideration and would probably do it.

why are almost everyone of kenny's ufa signings buyout candidates, sooner or later, unless they are hall of famers?

same here but i remain cautiously optimistic. somewhat.

The remaining compliance buyout is only good for this upcoming (2014) offseason. A buyout in 2015 offseason means a cap penalty for 6 years (I think).

I mean, he's got 3 points in 22 games! He's on track for roughly 10 points! When we were debating whether he'd be a 50 or 60 point player, no one thought he'd be doing this poorly. If he keeps it up and doesn't start producing some serious points soon, I think they should definitely use the compliance buyout.

We're 20+ games into the season now, no more excuses for Weiss. He needs to start producing or he shouldn't be on the team.

Dan Cleary has more points and a better +/- than Weiss and look at all the hate he gets around here.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I don't think you can expect too much from him when he is getting 8 minutes a night and his linemates are dfc and mfs. I will be more interested in how he looks once he is put with people who can actually play and given more than 4th line minutes with black holes of puck possesion.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The remaining compliance buyout is only good for this upcoming (2014) offseason. A buyout in 2015 offseason means a cap penalty for 6 years (I think).

can't use compliance buyout on contracts signed after september 15th 2012. so using it on weiss is out of question. would probably do it otherwise if he doesn't improve.

Stephen Weiss buyout from CapGeek.com
2015-16: $677,778
2016-17: $677,778
2017-18: $2,677,778
2018-19: $1,777,778
2019-20: $1,777,778
2020-21: $1,777,778

if bought out in 15 offseason.

2014-15: $2,108,333
2015-16: $608,333
2016-17: $608,333
2017-18: $2,608,333
2018-19: $1,708,333
2019-20: $1,708,333
2020-21: $1,708,333
2021-22: $1,708,333

if bought out next offseason.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Dan Cleary has more points and a better +/- than Weiss and look at all the hate he gets around here.

Word, Cotton. Early returns have not been good, it's undeniable.

Next year's compliance buyout being the last get out of jail free card we have makes the situation all the more interesting.

My gut tells me Holland wouldnt turn around and buy him out after one season, but my gut is also very hungry...

Edit: did not realize his contract isnt eligible for compliance buyout, so....shut up, Townsend Beasley!

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Not really sure how Babcock expects Weiss to miraculously start producing, by playing under 10 mins a game on a line with Cleary and Sammy, and with no PP time.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
can't use compliance buyout on contracts signed after september 15th 2012. so using it on weiss is out of question. would probably do it otherwise if he doesn't improve.

if bought out in 15 offseason.

if bought out next offseason.

Right, forgot about that. Guess we're stuck with him then. Go Weiss?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Word, Cotton. Early returns have not been good, it's undeniable.

Next year's compliance buyout being the last get out of jail free card we have makes the situation all the more interesting.

My gut tells me Holland wouldnt turn around and buy him out after one season, but my gut is also very hungry...

Edit: did not realize his contract isnt eligible for compliance buyout, so....shut up, Townsend Beasley!

:laugh:

Beat me to it.

I can't imagine Weiss has zero trade value with a decent contract and coming off a wrist injury. Someone else has to take a risk on him if it comes to that.

I really do think he can turn it around, though.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
I was a little worried about signing Weiss after his play and injury last year, but I really didn't see him being this bad, 4.9m for a 4th line center is brutal.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I want to judge him when he plays consistently with proper line-mates and gets PP minutes.

He did earlier this season. And he was still pretty unproductive, and unimpressive.

Johnz96*

We would certainly hearing a lot more about it here if the Wings re-signed Filppula instead of signing Weiss and Flip only had 3 points in 22 games.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I think Weiss kind of got thrown into the fire at the beginning of the season and had to sink or swim, to mix some metaphors. The injury, the new team, the new system, the pressure. It obviously wasn't working and with some shuffling going on, I think they put him on the bottom line to give him some time to adjust to the system and get a little more comfortable in the locker room etc, without the pressure. At the very least, I think Weiss is prepared to do better with another shot on a top line.

It's time to get him some shifts with a playmaker and see if that gets him going.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I really thought he was going to bounce back from last year in a big way coming to Detroit.

I don't know if it's hit wrist, or his confidence, but I really hope he can regain his form. The guy who played for Florida from 2 years back and on would give a big boost to this team.

If he doesn't go back to being that guy, I have no idea what we do....

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
From what I've seen, he has not been too bad, but certainly not worth the amount he's getting considering that we brought him in for a top-6 role expecting 50+ points.

I do think he's still recovering and also going through an adjustment period. The problem with that is we have a lot of talented youngsters that by the time Weiss is fully recovered, he may never get a full proper shot to be a top-6 player on this team.

Still, if we have him centering our third line because guys like Nyquist and Tatar are playing amazing, it's not a bad problem to have minus the contract of course.

Johnz96*

I really thought he was going to bounce back from last year in a big way coming to Detroit.

I don't know if it's hit wrist, or his confidence, but I really hope he can regain his form. The guy who played for Florida from 2 years back and on would give a big boost to this team.

If he doesn't go back to being that guy, I have no idea what we do....
Unless they're already recognized as all-world superstars, Babcock just doesn't do well with smaller forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad