Stephen Weiss

djdan6215

Feb 26, 2012
hi guys

i am a fan of the red wings but its not possible for me to watch all the wings game ..i am from quebec city canada ...

zetterberg is my favorite player but stephan weiss is one of my favorite in the nhl too

i would like to know if he is play good with the wings since the beginning of the years ? why he have only 1 pts in four games ???

and my second question is why tomas tatar is not play on the line up ?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
weiss has been disappointing. unlucky and disappointing. no points on es and es sv% of 86.4 when he's been on the ice. that should normalize.

he's adjusting to play d, played zone defense basically he's whole career in florida. babcock wants more man-coverage and it's hard to teach and old dog new tricks. he's been ok imo, defensively but if he's not scoring, he needs to be better there. even babcock mentioned few times during the summer and after that weiss needs to be better without the puck.

offensively he's not carrying the puck as much as i recall him doing in florida. not as strong on the puck. wingers haven't played great but weiss was brought in so he can be great 2nd line c so that wingers haven't been great just doesn't cut it.

point production will likely take dip this year. 50 points would be very nice imo, considering he's going to get a lot less freedom than he did in florida and less power play time too.

i think we can make more accurate judgements about weiss after 20-25 games; that will tell what we have in him for this year. he missed most of the last season with injury and is still adjusting to new system and linemates etc. it might be bc of that why he hasn't produced or age/injuries are catching up with him.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
He's made good passes, but no one on his line has been able to do anything with them. I think if Franzen and Alfredsson/Abdelkader were playing better, Weiss would have more assists. That said, he's been mostly invisible.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
weiss has been disappointing. unlucky and disappointing. no points on es and es sv% of 86.4 when he's been on the ice. that should normalize.

he's adjusting to play d, played zone defense basically he's whole career in florida. babcock wants more man-coverage and it's hard to teach and old dog new tricks. he's been ok imo, defensively but if he's not scoring, he needs to be better there. even babcock mentioned few times during the summer and after that weiss needs to be better without the puck.

offensively he's not carrying the puck as much as i recall him doing in florida. not as strong on the puck. wingers haven't played great but weiss was brought in so he can be great 2nd line c so that wingers haven't been great just doesn't cut it.

point production will likely take dip this year. 50 points would be very nice imo, considering he's going to get a lot less freedom than he did in florida and less power play time too.

i think we can make more accurate judgements about weiss after 20-25 games; that will tell what we have in him for this year. he missed most of the last season with injury and is still adjusting to new system and linemates etc. it might be bc of that why he hasn't produced or age/injuries are catching up with him.

It took Modano about 20 games to start looking comfortable, and then his wrist was slit open. Even without the point production, there have been some things to be very happy about with Weiss. He is engaged physically, going into corners and behind the net to engage in battles for the puck. While not overly fast, he's fast enough, and gets up and down the ice well.

I think he'll be fine once he gets accustomed to the team and linemates.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, Weiss looks like he's doing the right things out there. The points will come. Particularly if Alfredsson starts potting some goals. Hard to be too critical of Weiss when his primary linemates have combined for a grand total of 0 goals.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Weiss will flourish once Babcock realizes he has to throw one of Tatar or Nyquist on the ice with him. You know, someone that actually wants to skate and can create offense. I know it's a pipe dream, let me have it though.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
As said, it's not just Weiss. That whole line has shown very little chemistry, it feels like they could all use some help to get going.

RedWingsNow*

What I see from Weiss is skating and faceoffs. But I don't see much creativity and puck skill.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What I see from Weiss is skating and faceoffs. But I don't see much creativity and puck skill.

Don't think his linemates have helped him out so far. Would really like to see Weiss + Nyquist + a goal scorer. Think that line would do well.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think he's trying very hard to impress Babcock with how hard he can work and how defensively responsible he can be. Problem is, it's to the detriment of his offensive game right now. He has no rhythm beyond skating his balls off. It doesn't help much that his linemates don't get him the puck and don't give it back when he gets it for them.

RedWingsNow*

I think he's trying very hard to impress Babcock with how hard he can work and how defensively responsible he can be. Problem is, it's to the detriment of his offensive game right now. He has no rhythm beyond skating his balls off. It doesn't help much that his linemates don't get him the puck and don't give it back when he gets it for them.

Nah-- that just sounds like an excuse.
Weiss just hasn't been very good offensively. He's not particularly talented, to be honest.

There've been many misconceptions about Weiss since he signed here. I didn't buy the idea that he was a first line center who would thrive in a 2nd line role. That almost never happens.
Still, I thought he'd be better than he is.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Nah-- that just sounds like an excuse.
Weiss just hasn't been very good offensively. He's not particularly talented, to be honest.

There've been many misconceptions about Weiss since he signed here. I didn't buy the idea that he was a first line center who would thrive in a 2nd line role. That almost never happens.
Still, I thought he'd be better than he is.
Did you watch him in FLA? He's pretty damn talented, actually. He's a very good playmaker in particular. He's just not a dangler and he doesn't have a bullet shot. Points-wise, the damning thing for him is that he isn't getting much PP time at all. A pretty large percentage of his points in FLA came from playing on that #1 unit.

What he isn't is a guy who can carry his linemates, which is potentially the only way we're going to be satisfied with a second line center here in Detroit. He's not getting help on the wing and he sure isn't getting it on the PP.

What might be worth considering is that between Weiss and Filppula, being the second line center on a Babcock team is not an easy role to play. It's very defensively demanding and not very offensively rewarding.

Last edited:

RedWingsNow*

Did you watch him in FLA? He's pretty damn talented, actually. He's a very good playmaker in particular. He's just not a dangler and he doesn't have a bullet shot. Points-wise, the damning thing for him is that he isn't getting much PP time at all. A pretty large percentage of his points in FLA came from playing on that #1 unit.

What he isn't is a guy who can carry his linemates, which is potentially the only way we're going to be satisfied with a second line center here in Detroit. He's not getting help on the wing and he sure isn't getting it on the PP.

What might be worth considering is that between Weiss and Filppula, being the second line center on a Babcock team is not an easy role to play. It's very defensively demanding and not very offensively rewarding.

Not extensively.
But I watched him enough to know that he didn't impress me much.
Being the second line center with a 2nd PP unit that mostly gets scrap minutes (the final 40 seconds -- 10 of which are spent lugging the puck up the ice) isn't an easy role.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I thought he looked really good against Carolina. I thought individually he was making a lot of plays and showing some skill. He looked good individually but he wasn't clicking with his linemates. Not sure if it was a chemistry issue or something else but it seemed like Franzen was a step behind in getting to his passes.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I think he could be better as the season goes on, he is just getting used to playing here. Might help if Franzen wasn't on his line either, he isn't helping at all.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
As said, it's not just Weiss. That whole line has shown very little chemistry, it feels like they could all use some help to get going.

Pretty sure Babcock already covered that one.

"8’s playing really well and skating good so I’m going to penalize 13 and 40, take him away and put him somewhere else. He’s got to help somebody else."

Remember? :laugh::laugh:

DatsyukianDeke*

Weiss has been fine. Franzen has no hustle and should be on the third line, Abby doesn't have any hockey IQ to play a top 6 role so he shouldn't be playing there either. Put Tatar/Nyquist and Alfie on his line and give him a couple games and watch him flourish.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Weiss has been fine. Franzen has no hustle and should be on the third line, Abby doesn't have any hockey IQ to play a top 6 role so he shouldn't be playing there either. Put Tatar/Nyquist and Alfie on his line and give him a couple games and watch him flourish.

No hustle doesn't equal the 3rd line, no hustle = press box.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
It isn't like Franzen's hustle issues are new

They've been more pronounced thus far through the beginning of the season, and there's more spotlight on them since we have a compliance buyout left to use.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
From a panther fan, Weiss will be fine for you. He's one of those guys you will love. He may not be a creative player like datsyuk, but he's smart. He plays very well backchecking. I miss him already.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
He must really be having a hard time adjusting to Babcock's system. He hasn't looked too hot, and that's aside from his lack of production.

I'm guessing he played a lot of hockey with fresh youngsters in Florida. Something tells me he'd thrive as the anchor to a line with Tatar and/or Nyquist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad