Signing(s): Stephen Strasburg re-signs with the Nationals (7 years, $245 million)

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
This is the type of thinking that leads to disasters. I read on ESPN Strausberg only threw enough innings 4 times to quality for the era title. What scares me too is the almost career high 209 innings(6 short of his regular season career high) plus all the additional postseason innings(46.1 IP).

They could have took that money and signed 2 second tier guys like a Ryu, Kuechel, Wade Miley etc... or maybe one second tier guy and improved an awful bullpen plus keep the safe bet Rendon. Starting with Scherzer and Corbin isn't a bad rotation if you add a 2nd tier pierce or 2.

The ESPN guys would have went with Rendon since position players are safer and Strausberg's injury history.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...tephen-strasburg-245-million-return-nationals
SCNR: Strausberg is a city in Eastern Germany. Strasburg is a very good (and sometimes elite) starting pitcher, who might very well average 3 - 3.5 WAR/y throughout the next seven years. The Nationals chose the right player to perhaps overpay.

Gruß,
BSHH

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Doesn’t surprise me. He was the hope for the franchise after they moved to DC and were God awful the first 5-7 years. Signed that big extension and only opted out to maximize his earnings after the run he had.

Plus after letting Harper walk there was 0 chance they could let yet another homegrown face of the franchise player leave.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The Nats farm system pitching wise is a walking nightmare right now (no pun intended). Hitting wise they have like 4-5 more Sotos on the way so it was more imperative to do this and let Rendon go. Especially with Scherzer probably retiring in the next 2-3 seasons

4-5 Soto's? Wow. Cant see anyone beating them for the next 10-12 years.

Good luck with that contract Nats. You'll need it.

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
SCNR: Strausberg is a city in Eastern Germany. Strasburg is a very good (and sometimes elite) starting pitcher, who might very well average 3 - 3.5 WAR/y throughout the next seven years. The Nationals chose the right player to perhaps overpay.

Gruß,
BSHH

Very unlikely with his injury history and age. He had a hard time staying healthy when he was young so how is age almost 32 to age 39 going to be? Yes he's elite when he's healthy but he hasn't had that good of health most of his career. Can't see that changing once he really gets on the wrong side of 30. Rendon is much more likely to age well and provide value through the length of his deal ala an Adrien Beltre type. This was a mistake.

This may also lead the Nats to overpay for 34 year old Josh Donaldson. Rumors are he may get a 4 year deal which is crazy.

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
image1__1_.png

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Scherzer didn't have the mileage or the injury concerns that Strasburg has. Cole I'd give 245 mill without blinking. Strasburg not so much.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler
Sep 19, 2008
Huge deal for a 31 year old but there could be a lot of deferred money as the Nats love doing that.

Record deal for a pitcher as Price was 217 M.
Rizzo claimed that they can sign both but I just don't see how it's possible. They went all out to re-sign Strasburg. They simply cannot afford both especially with the contract Arenado got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad