Movies: Stephen King's Doctor Sleep

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Based on the trailer, this looks like crap
Don't judge a book by its cover. Why does it look like crap to you? I own but haven't read the book so it's hard to judge the trailer. Mike Flanagan does do great work though.

I will say basically all of Kings adaptions are hit or miss. Recently Mr. Mercedes was great, The Dark Tower was crap and I'm still reserving judgment on It until I see the sequel.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Mike Flanagan does do great work though.

I had to check who that was and can't say I agree. I've seen Oculus and Gerald's Game and they both were completely forgetable. The trailer proposes this as a sequel to the Kubrick film, that Flanagan guy can't follow Kubrick - just won't work.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So the trailer mixes really cool images from Kubrick's film with much less cool images from the new film. What a marketing strategy.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I had to check who that was and can't say I agree. I've seen Oculus and Gerald's Game and they both were completely forgetable. The trailer proposes this as a sequel to the Kubrick film, that Flanagan guy can't follow Kubrick - just won't work.
Well Stephen King wasn't happy with Kubrick's adaption of The Shining and unless you're a horror buff, you won't appreciate Flanagan's work.

The trailer proposes this as a sequel to The Shining novel, which Doctor Sleep is.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Well Stephen King wasn't happy with Kubrick's adaption of The Shining and unless you're a horror buff, you won't appreciate Flanagan's work.

The trailer proposes this as a sequel to The Shining novel, which Doctor Sleep is.

Oh I'm a horror buff. Used to teach a Horror film class, most fun I've had.

And the trailer uses images from Kubrick's Shining, so it clearly implies it's in continuity to this version of the story.

Edit: after reading a little about the movie, the only images taken directly from Kubrick's film would be the blood river scene, that's pretty impressive. I felt like something was off from the old lady and the twins, but the shots of Danny had me convinced... Well, doesn't change anything to my point though.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Doctor Sleep [2019] :

First there was The Shining...

I'm not a Stephen King fan, nor am I a fan of Stanley Kubrick. So, while I found The Shining deeply stylistic and REALLY cool, I never found it scary. Not one time. Just a lot of fun when Jack Nicholson was on the screen. He stole the movie.

Then came Doctor Sleep...

While still not a fan of Stephen King (the book is good but, like all his work, it's too long), I am a BIG fan of Mike Flanagan. So, while I found Doctor Sleep deeply stylistic and REALLY cool, I never found it scary. Not one time. Just a lot of fun when Rebecca Ferguson was on the screen. She stole the movie.

7.5/10

Movie Trailer :

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
As long as you don't expect to be scared, you will enjoy yourself.

Awesome. I enjoy a good drama with elements of horror. A thriller, really.
Gerald's game was a great niche movie, imo. Haven't seen Oculus yet, but I'm all-in on the new King adaptations (IT was great, Pet Sematary was good too) - very excited for Doctor Sleep.

Reactions: Tuggy

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Gerald's game was a great niche movie, imo. Haven't seen Oculus yet, but I'm all-in on the new King adaptations (IT was great, Pet Sematary was good too) - very excited for Doctor Sleep.
What I remember from Oculus...

The red hair protagonist walking away with her hair flipping back and forth early in the movie. Not sure why that stands out in my mind.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

I really liked Oculus. One of my favorite horror movies of the 2010's.

Mike Flanagan :thumbu:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Karen Gillam. My jaw is still on the floor from Jumanji. Fantastic talent. Oculus is the perfect type of horror movie, where no one is safe, and the viewer is genuinely uncomfortable through the whole thing, trying to grasp a plot that is swerving all over the road towards an uncertain fate.

Reactions: Tuggy

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Film disappointed at box office

Opened at #2 with $14.1M

Studio was anticipating a $25M opening and gave film a wide release (3,855 locations)

I think studio thought with success of It and modest success of Pet Sematary (Remake) that the King name would bring in more of an audience

Film is tracking behind the PS remake and with its larger budget both in production and advertisement film really will end up being seen as a flop by studio

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I haven't seen this but Flanagan is an interesting director. His scripts are pretty generic horror scripts but he's found a way to elevate his movies through his direction. I think he writes most of his own stuff, so I'd like to see him direct something with another writer.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Finally got to see this today. I haven’t read The Shining or Doctor Sleep the novels, so I can’t comment on adaptations or anything.

First, Ewan McGregor is like Linus’s blanket. Any movie he’s in, I’m going to enjoy. Every bit of his performance rocked.

Rebecca Ferguson stole the movie from him, though. She is a mesmerizing presence, dominating the movie, yet not campy or hokey in the least.

Doctor Sleep ties in as a sequel to The Shining the movie so well that I’d never know there was any difficulty writing the screenplay. It flows smoothly.

The plot is coherent yet not all that predictable, which is refreshing.

An easy 9/10 from me, probably the best time I’ve had as a classic horror fan in a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00