Staples Twitter: Stephen Gionta on PTO

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Cleaned up thread, moving on, keep it on topic and stop with the personal shots. If something uncalled for was posted please report it.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Always love extra competition in camp, feel that this is not like Bernier at all, see how you do and get an NHL deal but more for an AHL deal.

Do we have room down there? I just feel like they were weak down the middle and then Quine got a NHL deal.

I literally know so little but the idea of a

Kearns-?-Ho-Sang
Dal Colle-Gionta-?

Seems like a good top 6 basis.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Would rather have Jon Sim.
As long as he never plays a meaningful game for the isles which means eventual release from PTO
Or 2 way contract at NHL min with a bus ticket to Connecticut.
This guy couldnt carry Manpigs jock. Now that's saying something.
How was YOUR day?

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Always love extra competition in camp, feel that this is not like Bernier at all, see how you do and get an NHL deal but more for an AHL deal.

Do we have room down there? I just feel like they were weak down the middle and then Quine got a NHL deal.

I literally know so little but the idea of a

Kearns-?-Ho-Sang
Dal Colle-Gionta-?

Seems like a good top 6 basis.

Kearns and Holmtrom are the only sure fire centers right now. I could see something like the below assuming the kids earn top line minutes. If Quine made it through waivers the center depth would be fine. It's the wings that look very iffy.

Dal Colle - Kearns - Ho Sang
Boulton - Gionta - Verhaeghe
Johnston - Holmstrom - Rowe
St. Denis - Jones - Berisha

Let's not talk about the defense though. :help:

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Kearns and Holmtrom are the only sure fire centers right now. I could see something like the below assuming the kids earn top line minutes. If Quine made it through waivers the center depth would be fine. It's the wings that look very iffy.

Dal Colle - Kearns - Ho Sang
Boulton - Gionta - Verhaeghe
Johnston - Holmstrom - Rowe
St. Denis - Jones - Berisha

Let's not talk about the defense though. :help:

I thought Carter Verhaeghe was a natural center.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Unless Gionta has pressing family issues or really doesn't want go abroad, I don't know why he is still in North America. He has a skill set that would land him a mid six-figure contract in Europe. Earning $400k a year tax-free in Switzerland or Sweden for 50-60 games a season (if they make the playoffs) beats the hell out of trying to make an NHL roster on a PTO.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Unless Gionta has pressing family issues or really doesn't want go abroad, I don't know why he is still in North America. He has a skill set that would land him a mid six-figure contract in Europe. Earning $400k a year tax-free in Switzerland or Sweden for 50-60 games a season (if they make the playoffs) beats the hell out of trying to make an NHL roster on a PTO.

It's not all about the money. Perhaps he doesn't want to uproot his family, leave friends and family behind and take kids away from their friends and put them in a different country where they aren't understood?

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
It's not all about the money. Perhaps he doesn't want to uproot his family, leave friends and family behind and take kids away from their friends and put them in a different country where they aren't understood?

It's not like he has to go to Kazan where probably 5% of the population speaks English.

You go to Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Zurich, or Dusseldorf, nearly everyone speaks English. It might not be perfect English, but it's not Russia. $400k tax-free is $400k. He'll get $200k once the IRS takes their share. It's not a bad income, and you're living in a Western state. There are supermarkets, there are malls, and you don't have to worry about non-payments, or a mafia figure demanding a cut.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Gonna be up to the kids to come in and force Snow to keep them on the roster because Cappy would prefer an nhl vet. Even one with little left in the tank, over a rookie.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Don't see any reason to be upset by this. He's basically a body for camp and is guaranteed nothing. If by some chance he shows he can play it's like finding a $20 bill in the street.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Don't see any reason to be upset by this. He's basically a body for camp and is guaranteed nothing. If by some chance he shows he can play it's like finding a $20 bill in the street.

I agree with this. He's basically here for training camp. If for whatever reason, he proves to be valuable, the isles give him a contract for league minimum. Nothing to worry about here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad