Stephen Dacosta Pens Bound? Penguins Blueprint: Stocking the Shelves for Free

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Penguins Blueprint: Stocking the Shelves for Free

In depth piece by Mike Colligan of THW - 4th in his Penguins Blueprint series.

A big portion highlights the possible Penguins pursuit of NCAA FA Stephen Dacosta.

Excerpt:

College hockey enthusiasts will tell you Merrimack is not a name they’re used to seeing on the NCAA tournament bracket. The Warriors, under the leadership of Da Costa, have experienced a revival this season and as an at-large bid are making their first appearance in the championships since 1988.

Da Costa found his way to Merrimack in 2009-10 after a stint in the USHL (Juniors) and made an immediate impact for the Warriors, scoring five goals in just his second collegiate game. With 16 goals and 29 assists in 34 games he was named NCAA Freshman of the Year. Teams have gone out of their way to shut down Da Costa this season, but most have had limited success. He has 44 points in 32 games despite missing some late season action with a minor knee injury.

Read on:
http://thehockeywriters.com/stephane-da-costa-pittsburgh-penguins/

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
He's a top priority for every team. This article doesn't really give us anything new.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Hopefully the Pens can sign him, WBS could use him what with Letestu and Jeffrey both graduating.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
as has been mentioned on the Pens board, and to those that follow the Penguins -- they had Paul Thompson in their camp, in the past, so that's probably more likely, but either or would be a nice pick up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Everyone wants this kid. He's likely going to go where he has opportunity to play now as well as getting the payday. There are more than a few teams that fit that description.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Everyone wants this kid. He's likely going to go where he has opportunity to play now as well as getting the payday. There are more than a few teams that fit that description.

Some seasoning in the AHL would be good for him IMO even though he'll probably be looking to bypass it.

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
Some seasoning in the AHL would be good for him IMO even though he'll probably be looking to bypass it.

Ask yourself. Would you rather play for the Penguins orgnization at best being 3rd or 4th line player but more than likely making less money in the AHL or play on the 2nd or 3rd line centre, getting your chances
while making NHL dollers.

If he chooses the Pens I'll be surprised. Not cause they aren't a good organization but if I was him, I want money plus a chance to play to prove myself.

I know people will say "Oh but he could win in Pittsburgh". Winning is the most important thing for some NHL players who have had and will have careers in the NHL but the guys who are looking to just earn a contract really don't care where they play. They want ice time and money. Winning is secondary when you don't even have a contract.

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself well so hopefully someone understands but I think he'll look at contract/ice time first then pick winning if that makes sense.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Ask yourself. Would you rather play for the Penguins orgnization at best being 3rd or 4th line player but more than likely making less money in the AHL or play on the 2nd or 3rd line centre, getting your chances

Pens do have an opening on the right wing next to Sidney Crosby on the 1st line next year. I'd say that's a pretty tempting spot for any player.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

If he chooses the Pens I'll be surprised. Not cause they aren't a good organization but if I was him, I want money plus a chance to play to prove myself.

I know people will say "Oh but he could win in Pittsburgh". Winning is the most important thing for some NHL players who have had and will have careers in the NHL but the guys who are looking to just earn a contract really don't care where they play. They want ice time and money. Winning is secondary when you don't even have a contract.

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself well so hopefully someone understands but I think he'll look at contract/ice time first then pick winning if that makes sense.

He's not going to be a bottom 6er at the NHL level, if he can convert to the wing then he could have a chance to play in the Pens top 6.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Opportunity is a huge draw, to be sure.

But all any potential potential prospect has to look at is the chances that Letestu and Lovejoy have gotten in the organization to see that there is plenty of opportunity in Pittsburgh for a college FA with skill and determination.

Da Costa going to Pittsburgh is anything but a sure thing, but if he doesn't, it won't be the idea that he wouldn't get a fair shake that would make him sign elsewhere.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

I dunno.. Ask John Curry and Brad Thiessen why they signed with a team whose #1 goaltender is on a 7 year deal.

Ask Mark Letestu why he signed with the Pens when they have Staal, Malkin and Sid down the middle.

The Penguins have been active in the NCAA free agent market under Shero and, for whatever reason, they've had success signing some pretty decent players.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, if he can play wing, he'd definitely get more than a fair shake in Pittsburgh.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
I dunno.. Ask John Curry and Brad Thiessen why they signed with a team whose #1 goaltender is on a 7 year deal.

Ask Mark Letestu why he signed with the Pens when they have Staal, Malkin and Sid down the middle.

The Penguins have been active in the NCAA free agent market under Shero and, for whatever reason, they've had success signing some pretty decent players.

Well in Jacob! A NCAA free agent should be looking at the big picture.

With the Pens up against the cap, there will be roster turnover and players with cap-friendly contracts will get their shots, should they fit in with the organizational philosophy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad