Stephen A Smith Thoroughly Embarrasses Himself

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
ESPN is making him the highest paid on air personality in ESPN history.
Being uninformed and divisive sells now. While I think it's a joke that ESPN is paying him that type of salary, it's an even bigger joke that this is what the audience appears to want. Fox Sports took it a step further building a network around Cowherd, Bayless, and others who provide this low level of debate.

Reactions: Golden Puppers

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Being uninformed and divisive sells now. While I think it's a joke that ESPN is paying him that type of salary, it's an even bigger joke that this is what the audience appears to want. Fox Sports took it a step further building a network around Cowherd, Bayless, and others who provide this low level of debate.

I am trying to think of historical precedent for this approach and the closest thing I can think of is Howard Cosell back in the day. He was one of the first to imprint his persona into the story line especially in boxing. Howard was very bombastic in a much more conservative era.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
I am trying to think of historical precedent for this approach and the closest thing I can think of is Howard Cosell back in the day. He was one of the first to imprint his persona into the story line especially in boxing. Howard was very bombastic in a much more conservative era.
And he did the same on Monday Night Football....especially in his latter years when he seemed to be growing tired of the game. It would have been great to see Howard go at it in today's media age with the likes of Screamin' A & Skippy Bayless!

Reactions: ps241

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
In the world of hot takes, being "polarizing" sells. Kinda surprised Greenberg is currently their highest paid talking head: he has the personality of a chalkboard.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
And he did the same on Monday Night Football....especially in his latter years when he seemed to be growing tired of the game. It would have been great to see Howard go at it in today's media age with the likes of Screamin' A & Skippy Bayless!

It would be interesting to see him be challenged by other screamers lol. Howard was a bit of a trail blazer. Cosell worked best with guys like Dandy Don and Giffard who more or less filled out the broadcast experience with different characters. Today it seems like they populate shows with similar people and they all yell and argue?

I guess that’s what it takes to get noticed (ratings) in an era of extreme content overload.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad