Stephen A Smith Thoroughly Embarrasses Himself

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm trying to think of a Canadian equivalent of Stephen A. Smith, someone who constantly embarrasses himself while pontificating about sports.

I was thinking it'd be Pierre McGuire, but he at least seems knowledgeable even if he's got the most painfully awkward presence imaginable. Not sure who else fits the bill.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I'm trying to think of a Canadian equivalent of Stephen A. Smith, someone who constantly embarrasses himself while pontificating about sports.

I was thinking it'd be Pierre McGuire, but he at least seems knowledgeable even if he's got the most painfully awkward presence imaginable. Not sure who else fits the bill.
McGuire is weird and annoying but he is knowledgeable. He's also American tho. Guys like Kypreos, Steve Simmons and Damien Cox are bad but don't embarrass themselves as often as Smith.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Stephen A needs to stick to basketball, even then, he still doesn't really know shit. He continually embarrassed himself talking about football and other non NBA sports.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
He is there saying obnoxious stuff because that's what gets people to watch ESPN. Emotions like annoyance and irritation capture audience better compared to what they would get with a more regular show. He continues not to really know shit because that's not what they pay him for.

Reactions: Roman Fell

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

Even though he's retired, Fergie Olver from the Toronto Blue Jays telecasts from years ago might fit the bill. It was always fun to watch the Jays get massacred and hear Fergie sum things up as "well, the Jays played well today, but things just didn't go their way", even though they'd make like 8 or 9 errors and just be awful.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Even though he's retired, Fergie Olver from the Toronto Blue Jays telecasts from years ago might fit the bill. It was always fun to watch the Jays get massacred and hear Fergie sum things up as "well, the Jays played well today, but things just didn't go their way", even though they'd make like 8 or 9 errors and just be awful.

Sounds like Mike Wilner, ever the apologist over the years. He's been better as of late, though, especially now that he has to fill Jerry Howarth's shoes.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Stephen A doesn't get paid to make levelheaded and thoughtful takes

If he did most of us probably wouldn't pay any mind to him anyway

Sep 19, 2008

Stephen A is paid to provide sensationalized entertainment like this :laugh:

"Don't make me come on NFL Network with you."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad