Stephane Da Costa

• Thread starter Security Guard Chang*
  • Start date

Security Guard Chang*

Might be the most under rated prospect in hockey. Guy has elite level skills.
Top notch vision , awareness, speed and hands. Hes sorta small , but extremely feisty.

IMO hes the most skilled player in Ottawa after Spezza and karlsson. I actually think he may have better vision than Spezza. Whenever he hits the ice, hes been making things happen, including some jaw dropping passes. He has that aura where the puck follows him alot.

Turris has nice offensive tools but he looks like a clumsy third liner compared to this guy.

Interested to hear some other unbiased opinions on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 16, 2007
in your head
He's phenominal offensively. See's the ice as good as anyone and is a lot more aggressive this stint.

His neutral zone and D play are pretty terrible though. He reminds me of a young Spezza with his no look passes.

The Paulrus will teach him to play a complete game soon enough though so I'm not too worried about it.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
The current scenario in Ottawa is about as good as it's going to get for Da Costa with Spezza injured since he'll see more opportunity and better linemates.

He's got loads of skill and great vision but I don't see a long NHL career in his future to be honest. I've seen a lot of similar center prospects and they typically turn out to be very good AHLers and that's kind of how I see Da Costa turning out.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Might be the most under rated prospect in hockey. Guy has elite level skills.
Top notch vision , awareness, speed and hands. Hes sorta small , but extremely feisty.

IMO hes the most skilled player in Ottawa after Spezza and karlsson. I actually think he may have better vision than Spezza. Whenever he hits the ice, hes been making things happen, including some jaw dropping passes. He has that aura where the puck follows him alot.

Turris has nice offensive tools but he looks like a clumsy third liner compared to this guy.

Interested to hear some other unbiased opinions on him.

He has looked really good since his callup, showing some pretty sweet moves and heads up playmaking. Despite this, I am still hesitant about him. Sometimes new guys get away with stuff, but when the other teams start catching on to him, he might become less effective.

In all honesty I really do not know how he projects. Boom (2nd line center) or Bust Top notch AHLer that will move to Europe and play there.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
The current scenario in Ottawa is about as good as it's going to get for Da Costa with Spezza injured since he'll see more opportunity and better linemates.

He's got loads of skill and great vision but I don't see a long NHL career in his future to be honest. I've seen a lot of similar center prospects and they typically turn out to be very good AHLers and that's kind of how I see Da Costa turning out.

I don't see that. He's far too smart, crafty, and has such an amazing skill set, that I believe the exact opposite.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Considering his pre-pubescent physique and peewee level skating stride....it's a testament to elite level hands, vision, hockey sense, poise that he can make high end plays alongside high end players.

If I was dealing with Ottawa, Da Costa would be a guy I'd try and snake in the tail end of a deal. Not necessarily a long term fit in Ottawa, but so much skill.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

I haven't come across many guys that make plays like that and don't make solid NHL careers. I've always questioned how bad Da Costa wants it...but otherwise the guy should play in the league for a while if he wants, but he's gotta do work.

The guys with skill that stay in the AHL are guys that show up in the NHL and can't dictate any skill. Da Costa was dictating skills last season when he played, he just wasn't ready to survive otherwise in the league. I think he's progressed since then and I'm not sure we have reason to believe he's done.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I haven't come across many guys that make plays like that and don't make solid NHL careers. I've always questioned how bad Da Costa wants it...but otherwise the guy should play in the league for a while if he wants, but he's gotta do work.

The guys with skill that stay in the AHL are guys that show up in the NHL and can't dictate any skill. Da Costa was dictating skills last season when he played, he just wasn't ready to survive otherwise in the league. I think he's progressed since then and I'm not sure we have reason to believe he's done.

Still an iffy prospect, but one with legitimate promise.

Security Guard Chang*

He's still making plays that you would expect from an elite offensive player right now. Regardless of age

Security Guard Chang*

I don't see that. He's far too smart, crafty, and has such an amazing skill set, that I believe the exact opposite.

exactly what i am thinking, you dont make plays like he has in the nhl only to become a ahler , Ive seen those great ahl skilled stars in the nhl (Locke, Shannon etc) and they hardly stand out. Da Costa stands out. Even in a game with Karlsson , Crosby, Neal , Malkin ,Letang, alfredsson in it.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
Exactly, he stood out for me beyond any of the big Penguin stars and even his own teammates. Heck, watching the Pens/Jets game now I wished I was watching Da Costa. This game is a snooze fest.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He'll have to work on his skating and work on his decision making, but all things point to this kid sticking in the NHL and perhaps being able to put up some points.

Never a better time than right now though...

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
He'll have to work on his skating and work on his decision making, but all things point to this kid sticking in the NHL and perhaps being able to put up some points.

Never a better time than right now though...

He seems to have decent speed and he made some really good plays that could have equaled more points for him if the shooters didn't hit the post or shoot wide.. Alffie.... hehe

Still, I think he's a lot closer than some think.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I really don't see him becoming much more than a Matt D'agostini type player. He has great skill offensively but his skating ability and overall hockey sense bring him down.

He'll put up 10g-15a-82games

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I really don't see him becoming much more than a Matt D'agostini type player. He has great skill offensively but his skating ability and overall hockey sense bring him down.

He was the most creative Senator forward on the ice tonight. I think he'll be much more than that. Not saying he'll be a superstar, but he's got sick hockey sense and really nice skills.

At least these horrific injuries have some silver linings to them I guess...

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Lmao, spoken like a true person who doesn't watch him play but tries to say something conservative like he knows what he's saying.

He is a remarkable skater who has phenomenal hockey sense. Those two attributes are arguably his best. I don't know what you're talking about.

I made a post a couple years ago where I showed his production in NCAA matching those of Toews, James Van Riemsdyk, Oshie etc... at the same age. Of course I ain't comparing them but the skill is there for sure.

He has 2nd line potential easily.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Not a chance. If he sticks in the big leagues for a full 82 game season its because he is producing. He has been the best senator lately and has generated lots of chances for line mates and should manage to but up quite a few points once the puck starts going in. He is a good skater, and has good hockey sense as well. Needs a some work defensively. But his vision is tremendous and he is stronger than you expect.

My only concern is Ottawa is set down the middle. Spezza, Turris and Smith is the perfect 1-2-3. Maybe he gets moved to the wing or traded for a winger or D once he makes a name for himself.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Not a chance. If he sticks in the big leagues for a full 82 game season its because he is producing. He has been the best senator lately and has generated lots of chances for line mates and should manage to but up quite a few points once the puck starts going in. He is a good skater, and has good hockey sense as well. Needs a some work defensively. But his vision is tremendous and he is stronger than you expect.

My only concern is Ottawa is set down the middle. Spezza, Turris and Smith is the perfect 1-2-3. Maybe he gets moved to the wing or traded for a winger or D once he makes a name for himself.

They ain't playing so perfect against Da Costa right now. He has outplayed them in the last 3 games by quite a margin.

I'd say we re-evaluate his status to this team come season's end.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
K wait who here actually believes his skating is going to hold him back?

His top end speed and acceleration are good, and he's super agile. He's one of those really shifty guys that are able to dart around the ice. And he's strong enough on his skates for the rough stuff, especially considering he's not that physically imposing. But definitely likes to throw hits.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Man, I really hate the way age is blown up around here.

He had evident high end puck skills, eyes and hockey sense with the puck as soon as he got into the league out of college. He's gotten better since last year too.

Some players have that ability to make the puck look like it's stuck to their stick, Pat Kane, RNH, Datsyuk and for a prospect example Jon Drouin (he comes off as special in this regard) are all exceptional at this. Da Costa has hands like that too, but man, his skating, explosiveness, body, all appear pitiful...but it's a testament to some of his skills that he can still make plays in the NHL.

Like I said, the upside is real good on this guy, but it's all up to him. How hard does he wanna work...I think it's literally right there for him. And there's lots of kids with upside who's upside is predicated on things that aren't as easily in their control. All he has to do is get inthe gym with the right mindset and allow someone else to show him what to do and his only competition is his mind and things like a barbell. Learning defense is different, you're opponent is always another human who's job is to make you look stupid.

Feel bad for the guy if he lets something like a barbell or his mind defeat him from becoming the player he could be. He skates like a child who isn't that good at skating. But somehow he still dangles dmen one on one and slips by em.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
I noticed that he has a bit of a edge, and he does compete. He's still adjusting to the NHL speed, needs to get his shot off faster. He's playing pretty good though. Alfie and him work pretty good together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad