Recalled/Assigned: Stefan Elliott on 4/12

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The way I see it if Barries injury wasnt serious they would just play Wilson on D and call it a day especially for the last game of the season. Barrie most likely gone the 1st round if I were a betting man that be my guess.

Or they don't know when Barrie will be back because head injuries are mysterious and they'd rather give Stef a game to get settled in case he's needed.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Elliott has had his issues in the defensive zone, with the big one being he's quite soft. He wasn't providing enough offense to offset that.

Barrie has his issues defensively too, but he's been let loose by the coaching staff offensively so it counteracts it. Hopefully they do the same with Elliott.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Elliott has had his issues in the defensive zone, with the big one being he's quite soft. He wasn't providing enough offense to offset that.

Barrie has his issues defensively too, but he's been let loose by the coaching staff offensively so it counteracts it. Hopefully they do the same with Elliott.

Good point here TMV, and you bring up something that I don't believe people are thinking about in regards to Elliott. Yeah he didn't look good last year or the year prior, but the entire Defense was pretty bad and the Head Coach was a moron (Sacco). We know that Roy is a better head coach, surrounding himself with better Assistant Coaches (Tourigny) and they'll find a way to put Elliott in a position to maximize his success...

But it won't always be pretty...remember Barrie at the beginning of the year? A lot of us honestly felt that he just wasn't going to be successful with Patrick Roy as the coach, and with all the good Roy was doing elsewhere it wasn't like we could just get rid of him, but Barrie turned it around.

Elliott may not look great tomorrow, but I have every feeling that Roy and Co. will be able to help him like they got through to Barrie.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
I'm really excited to see Elliott slot into a team that knows what it's doing. He could be that calm puck carrier we've been desperately needing on the PP. Also, I don't think he'll look nearly as bad defensively in man to man coverage.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm really excited to see Elliott slot into a team that knows what it's doing. He could be that calm puck carrier we've been desperately needing on the PP. Also, I don't think he'll look nearly as bad defensively in man to man coverage.

This is going to depend on who they have him covering to be honest.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Wouldn't it be incredible if Elliot plays just as well as barrie and we have one of Elliot and Barrie next season at that level? It would be better if there was some defense in that duo somewhere, likely addressed with who their paired by, but I would be thrilled if elliot played as well as Barrie has.

Just want to double check my facts but Elliot was projected to be better then Barrie right? Or is that reversed. I feel like I remember reading that Elliot had a higher ceiling.

Edit - I know thats not exactly how it would pan out. I'm just saying back in the day, wasn't he expected to be better?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Wouldn't it be incredible if Elliot plays just as well as barrie and we have one of Elliot and Barrie next season at that level? It would be better if there was some defense in that duo somewhere, likely addressed with who their paired by, but I would be thrilled if elliot played as well as Barrie has.

Just want to double check my facts but Elliot was projected to be better then Barrie right? Or is that reversed. I feel like I remember reading that Elliot had a higher ceiling.

Edit - I know thats not exactly how it would pan out. I'm just saying back in the day, wasn't he expected to be better?

I believe the original consensus is that Elliott may have the higher ceiling, but also a higher chance of not reaching it, while Barrie may not have the "higher ceiling" but also had a better chance of reaching his own.

Both are no doubt Offensive-Defenseman and both undersized in different areas.

Barrie is obviously shorter but he looks a little more "stout" so to speak. Elliott, the last time we saw him, is taller at 6'1 but he weighs/weighed 190ish and he wasn't physical and in fact seemed to shy away from physical contact.

The key for both players to being at least passable/average Defensively is to utilize their positioning and stick work in my opinion. They're not going to bowl people over, nor should they really be expected to, it's not their game. What should be expected is for them to learn to maximize their Defensive skills by, again what I had said before, being in better defensive position and always make sure their sticks are active.

I happen to think that there CAN be room for both on the roster, but I doubt that will happen. Next year could be interesting in terms of our Defense I think. If Elliott shows, either through the rest of this year and PO's or through next year's Training Camp, that he is ready to take on the NHL we could potentially see something along the lines of

Hejda-EJ
Guenin/UFA-Barrie
Holden/Guenin-Elliott
Holden/Wilson (I don't think they'll buy him out)

I do think the Avs will look for someone in the UFA (possibly Nikitin) or a trade partner, but I wouldn't be unhappy if both Elliott and Barrie are on the roster next year because I think both could thrive and would provide great additions to the PP. Imagine our Defensive pairings for the PP

EJ-Barrie
UFA/Guenin/Holden-Elliott

Guenin isn't necessarily ideal but I have a feeling if Roy is choosing between Guenin and Holden to play that it would be Guenin most likely because the offense that Holden brings CAN be replaced by a combo of EJ/Barrie/Elliott.

Of course this all depends on how Elliott performs.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Elliott is pretty clutch himself, I can think if some big goals he's scored. He's great on the PP. The Monsters can't move the puck without him. He really has looked pretty good and consistent. The Monsters are a borderline goon squad themselves so he's had to hold his own at least. They've played teams trying to make a run at everyone. I think he'll do well with the Avs. Hope he gets a chance to show it.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
I believe the original consensus is that Elliott may have the higher ceiling, but also a higher chance of not reaching it, while Barrie may not have the "higher ceiling" but also had a better chance of reaching his own.

Both are no doubt Offensive-Defenseman and both undersized in different areas.

Barrie is obviously shorter but he looks a little more "stout" so to speak. Elliott, the last time we saw him, is taller at 6'1 but he weighs/weighed 190ish and he wasn't physical and in fact seemed to shy away from physical contact.

The key for both players to being at least passable/average Defensively is to utilize their positioning and stick work in my opinion. They're not going to bowl people over, nor should they really be expected to, it's not their game. What should be expected is for them to learn to maximize their Defensive skills by, again what I had said before, being in better defensive position and always make sure their sticks are active.

I happen to think that there CAN be room for both on the roster, but I doubt that will happen. Next year could be interesting in terms of our Defense I think. If Elliott shows, either through the rest of this year and PO's or through next year's Training Camp, that he is ready to take on the NHL we could potentially see something along the lines of

Hejda-EJ
Guenin/UFA-Barrie
Holden/Guenin-Elliott
Holden/Wilson (I don't think they'll buy him out)

I do think the Avs will look for someone in the UFA (possibly Nikitin) or a trade partner, but I wouldn't be unhappy if both Elliott and Barrie are on the roster next year because I think both could thrive and would provide great additions to the PP. Imagine our Defensive pairings for the PP

EJ-Barrie
UFA/Guenin/Holden-Elliott

Guenin isn't necessarily ideal but I have a feeling if Roy is choosing between Guenin and Holden to play that it would be Guenin most likely because the offense that Holden brings CAN be replaced by a combo of EJ/Barrie/Elliott.

Of course this all depends on how Elliott performs.

Awesome response man, thanks a ton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad