Speculation: Steen's next contract

Deko

Jul 14, 2011
Helsinki
Steener has started the season well and he is on a 160 point pace right now. Obviously he won't be able to maintain that pace but I'd say about 30 goals and 60 points are realistic goals if he stays healthy. If so, I guess he wants and will get 5+ AAV.

The other interesting aspect is of course length. I wouldn't be all that surprised if Steen is looking for an 8-year contract.

Last edited:

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Whatever happens I hope he stays. He's such a great all around player for us. However I hope he doesn't get greedy (he doesn't seem the type to be).

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I highly doubt he'll get 8 years, unless he is willing to take a clear discount to make that happen.

5 years at $4.75m would be my guess.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
He's got to stay healthy this season if he's ever going to reach his peak numbers. If he plays less than 70 games I don't think he goes anywhere near $5M since it'll be a recurring issue for him.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm slightly worried we won't be able to afford him considering we need to deal with some other contracts.

Schwartz and Tarasenko come to mind in that sense of contract increase soon.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I've got zero concern about this one. This is a situation where the player wants to stay, the team wants him to stay...and they have a good relationship. When it gets done is of no real concern to me.

Armstrong has managed to build some good relationships with the players, and doesn't do amateur negotiating tactics. I have no doubt Alexander will get a fair contract extension.

I see Stewart parting with the Blues before Steen.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If Steen wants to be here, and all indications are that he does, and the Blues still want him, and they'd be incompetent not to, it will get done. I don't know how much hardball each side is willing to play to get the money/term they want, but he's going to be here. He's a fixture in the top 6 when he's healthy, and is one of our best players.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm slightly worried we won't be able to afford him considering we need to deal with some other contracts.

Schwartz and Tarasenko come to mind in that sense of contract increase soon.
I'm not worried at all. Just like with Petro, if we need to move someone to fit Steen in, we will. He's up there with Pietrangelo and Backes as our best players (and I think Bouwmeester is up there as well).

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm not worried at all. Just like with Petro, if we need to move someone to fit Steen in, we will. He's up there with Pietrangelo and Backes as our best players (and I think Bouwmeester is up there as well).

Other than Stewart, who's really movable? Those are 3 players that will need increases...

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
They'll get bridge contracts unless they breakout in a huge way. If they breakout in a huge way, I doubt we'll be on a budget.

But it will definitely be a sizable increase from what they are currently being paid, even if they are bridge contracts (which Schwartz will definitely get, still unsure about Tarasenko)

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
But it will definitely be a sizable increase from what they are currently being paid, even if they are bridge contracts (which Schwartz will definitely get, still unsure about Tarasenko)

Stewart is gone. Allen will likely be the starter when Tarasenko gets his extension. Ideally Cole eventually gets a starting spot. No point in speculating that far down the road.

Did any of us imagine this roster with these players 2 years ago?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
But with Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo-Shattenkirk we're pretty top heavy on defense. I think if guys like Edmundson and Hakanpaa continue to develop then yeah guys like Leopold and Polak could eventually become expendable.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Leopold.

Jackman is an interesting case....life-long Blue but starting to out-weigh his salary. There is room to squeeze money out of the defense for sure.

Jackman seems like the guy to take a lot less than his current contract to stay a Blue. I would love for him to retire a Blue too.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Can't imagine Jackman anywhere else to be honest.

Would hate to drop Polak though, he's the perfect third pairing defensive ironman.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
8 points in 4 games? A Selke worthy defensive forward?

Steen is our best forward. If he made it to free agency, he might get David Clarkson money. The ONLY reason he wouldn't is health. If Steen stays healthy this year, though, he'll get a great payday.

The Blues must bring him back. Can't keep a guy like Stewart around and let Steen go. No offense to Stewart but Steen is the ideal fit for Hitchcock's system. You find the money to keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad